Sponsored by:

2001 996 C4 cab ignition switch electrical

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2023, 05:16 PM
dspcole
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 996 C4 cab ignition switch electrical

After running some errands, went to start vehicle. Turned key, all lights came on, but no clicking or turning of starter. Nada. Tried 4 or 5 more times . Finally turned over and started normally. I’m thinking the electrical portion of the switch needs to be replaced. It seems to be a DIY project, just very awkward, particularly the tiny screws. Any thoughts or advice before isqueze in there?
Old 06-21-2023, 12:48 PM
Yogibara
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by dspcole
After running some errands, went to start vehicle. Turned key, all lights came on, but no clicking or turning of starter. Nada. Tried 4 or 5 more times . Finally turned over and started normally. I’m thinking the electrical portion of the switch needs to be replaced. It seems to be a DIY project, just very awkward, particularly the tiny screws. Any thoughts or advice before isqueze in there?
yes, go to your local grocery store and buy some Crisco, cuz it's a tight squeeze. I removed/replaced the entire steering lock mechanism. That was a major PITA with the windshield in. You might be able to get buy with just pulling out the ignition switch and tumbler and replace it. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2023, 05:21 PM
pesuazo
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Advice you said: Remove the driver side vent (Youtube video) and reach that top little screw holding the switch from there....no option on the lower one, I could only reach it from underneath...
Old 08-14-2023, 06:46 PM
Swimnbud
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon,
Did you have any luck with the screws? After some frustration I was able to reach both, but can only get my thumb and forefinger on the tiny screwdriver. I was not able to exert enough for to break it loose. Perhaps I did not get all of the red thread lock out. I'm looking for any suggest to break them loose
Thanks in advance. I have a 99 C4C
Old 08-15-2023, 09:18 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by pesuazo
Advice you said: Remove the driver side vent (Youtube video) and reach that top little screw holding the switch from there....no option on the lower one, I could only reach it from underneath...

I second this. Way easier if you remove the vent assembly. And because you have to remove the headlight switch to do so, you may as well replace it too.
Old 08-16-2023, 10:49 AM
HoustonCgrBkr
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh, this was a fun project when I did it..not.

I followed a YouTube video I found that helped. One of the best tips was securing the clutch pedal back, giving you a bit more room.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 C4 cab ignition switch electrical