Sponsored by:

Weird Radio issue ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 04:37 PM
BayouBill
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird Radio issue ...

In July I purchased a 1999 996 that sat up for 3 years so I've been going thru it fixing stuff that's been neglected.
One of the issues I need help resolving (weird radio problem) Note: It's the stock radio.
When I first got the car the radio didn't work so I removed it from the console and inspected the wire connections (everything looked normal)
On this forum I saw a thread discussing pressing a couple of radio buttons that result in displaying Enter Code.
I looked thru the paperwork in the console storage cubby and found what looked like a possible radio code.
I entered the code and the radio came on and seemed to function as intended. So, I thought "Great it's fixed" but when I started the engine the radio display went blank and it stopped working.
So, it works great until I start the engine.

Maybe one of you guys have ran across this problem and resolved it. Or heard of this issue and possible resolutions.
I searched the forum archives but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks for your suggestions ...
Old 08-14-2023, 04:57 PM
sheatley
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

I suspect others will offer more helpful suggestions. I have had two recurring problems. One is the radio just does not play sometimes though it lights up. It happens two or three times a year. Not sure why but it works after turning the car off and restarting. The other is a loose connector in the back which I should replace but have not gotten around to it. It is more of an antennae issue and not related to your problem. The stock radio is known for its gremlins.

Last edited by sheatley; 08-14-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:12 PM
168Sierra
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 104 Posts

I had this problem on one of my cars. I ended up removing the face plate and cleaning the contact strip. radio worked fine after that.
Hope this works]s for you too.
Mark
Old 08-15-2023, 08:53 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 168Sierra
I had this problem on one of my cars. I ended up removing the face plate and cleaning the contact strip. radio worked fine after that.
Hope this works]s for you too.
Mark
This. I have to remove the faceplate and clean the contacts every few years or so.
Old 08-15-2023, 09:16 AM
e30rapidic
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 249 Posts

mine is an aftermarket radio and does the same thing at random times. Turn car off and back on again and I have sound.

Have been told to change the ignition switch...but I keep forgetting to order it until it randomly happens again.
Old 08-15-2023, 03:23 PM
BayouBill
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments ...
Old 08-15-2023, 03:25 PM
BayouBill
Intermediate

I think I'll remove the radio and while it's working I'll use my DVOM to map all wires then start the engine and re-map.
Maybe I'll get lucky and find where I'm dropping the 12VDC.

Thanks again for your comments ...
Old 09-25-2023, 12:35 PM
BayouBill
Intermediate

Haven't had time to pin out the radio connections but I noticed if I turn on the stereo before I start the car the stereo works.
When I start the car and put it in gear you can hear the door locks engauge and the stereo turns off.
Old 10-19-2023, 02:36 PM
wakers3
5th Gear

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't mind chiming in here as I have something kind of similar and have yet to solve. Mine seems ambient air temp related. Under about 55 degrees F, I get the 'looks powered on but no sound at all' when I had OEM headunit AND this aftermarket. Summertime, I never have the issue. I'm assuming a connection issue somewhere and likely the amp (that provides power to the entire system?)
Old 10-19-2023, 06:11 PM
BayouBill
Intermediate

Good Luck Wakers3, I hope you find the answer.
Currently my 911 is in the shop checking out several small things including the radio issue.
I'll let you know what they find.
The following users liked this post:
168Sierra (10-20-2023)
Old 01-08-2024, 02:32 PM
BayouBill
Intermediate

My mechanic swapped my radio with another OEM unit and the issue is the radio itself so I replaced it.
Everything's ok now ...

Quick Reply: Weird Radio issue ...