Sponsored by:

Help....I'm topless :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 03:57 PM
knsb10
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Help....I'm topless :)

Hi, perhaps someone here can help me with a question. All of a sudden, my top will not go up (or down) using the button on the dash. I have replaced the switch - that did not fix the issue. I can, however work the top using the key in the door. Any other suggestions of what the problem could be?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:13 PM
Carlo D
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by knsb10
Hi, perhaps someone here can help me with a question. All of a sudden, my top will not go up (or down) using the button on the dash. I have replaced the switch - that did not fix the issue. I can, however work the top using the key in the door. Any other suggestions of what the problem could be?
Thanks in advance.
check the hydraulic fluid level. If so go to harborfreight and buy a Crc hydraulic fluid to top it off. No need for Porsche brand .
Old 09-11-2023, 08:19 PM
sublm8
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo D
check the hydraulic fluid level. If so go to harborfreight and buy a Crc hydraulic fluid to top it off. No need for Porsche brand .
Nah, he said it works with the key.

Check your fuses.

C3 - power top from the key.

D3 - power top from the switch.

B1 and B5 too, just in case.

EDIT: this guy had your problem and it was B5

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/949902-convertible-top-problem-fuse-b5-continuously-burned.html

Last edited by sublm8; 09-11-2023 at 08:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Carlo D (09-11-2023)
Old 09-11-2023, 09:13 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by knsb10
Thanks in advance.
Iirr, different parameters are needed for door lock vs switch activation.

Not sure about the requirements of the door lock activation of the top, but for the dash switch to operate the top,,, parking brake switch must be activated with dash parking brake light on, and the engine lid micro switch must be in the shut position. I've seen the engine lid switch not fully engaged with no dash lights showing, not letting top work. TCM has to see the lid is closed. After cleaning the micro switch and lock mechanism and lubing it , top switch worked again.

Does your top light flash on briefly..? when trying to open/close. If so, some parameter is not being met and TCM will not allow top to operate. Most common are the park brake and engine lid.

Last edited by allcool; 09-11-2023 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:37 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Does the handbrake indicator light up when you lift up the handbrake? The key in the door doesn't require the handbrake to be set but the dash switch does.
Old 09-12-2023, 11:55 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by wyovino
Does the handbrake indicator light up when you lift up the handbrake? The key in the door doesn't require the handbrake to be set but the dash switch does.
This. Check the handbrake microswitch.
Old 11-28-2023, 08:55 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Hey folks - I am in this similar situation, parking brake light on dashboard stopped working, and so the top isn't responding to the up/down button.

The key method works, so almost positive the e-brake switch is bad.

BUT - there seems to be two potential parts, and one is cheap ($10) while the other is expensive ($80).

Here's Pelican's "Handbrake Switch for Warning Light" which they say fits my '99.

Here's Suncoast's same part which they say DOES NOT fit my '99. Not sure why they say that.

Instead I have seen on a few sites this part number which the refer to as a "center console microswitch."

So, pretty sure the Pelican part (996-613-11202) that costs $10 is what I need, but I am am hoping to be sure that's what I need, and not the actual (#966-613-20500) microswitch.

Anyone done this already who can share a little insight? Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, I figured this out, the microswitch is for the console lid for when setting the alarm. Duh.

Last edited by Woodman71; 11-29-2023 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Figured it out

Quick Reply: Help....I'm topless :)