Convertible Top Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:29 AM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Convertible Top Question

MY '99.

So I've been having an occasional stick/hesitation on the driver's side just as the top starts to go up. Slight grab and release. Not bad, and not every time, but I didn't want to ignore it until it grabs hard and makes for an expensive repair.

Took it to the Top Shop yesterday, and he said he doesn't do Porsche tops. (I'm in NE Illinois between Madison and Chicago, closer to Madison). But he did notice there's a zipper (first I've seen this) just under and inside the rear window, and the teeth had separated to the zipper pull near the bottom. I didn't see how high the separation ran. He said it looks like it catches on part of that when the top goes up.

Does anyone recognize what this zipper is for, or have dealt with this before?
Old 09-13-2023, 11:18 AM
allcool
Racer

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by F. Thumb
MY '99.

So I've been having an occasional stick/hesitation on the driver's side just as the top starts to go up. Slight grab and release. Not bad, and not every time, but I didn't want to ignore it until it grabs hard and makes for an expensive repair.

Took it to the Top Shop yesterday, and he said he doesn't do Porsche tops. (I'm in NE Illinois between Madison and Chicago, closer to Madison). But he did notice there's a zipper (first I've seen this) just under and inside the rear window, and the teeth had separated to the zipper pull near the bottom. I didn't see how high the separation ran. He said it looks like it catches on part of that when the top goes up.

Does anyone recognize what this zipper is for, or have dealt with this before?
IIRR, Some tops use a zipper to hold in the rear window. makes it easy(maybe) to replace a cloudy plastic window...
Old 09-13-2023, 11:24 AM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts

This one's rear window appears to be sewn in permanently. I haven't yet figured our what the zipper attaches to.

Anyone have a convertible top shop to recommend North of Chicago?
Old 09-13-2023, 06:40 PM
Willys 47
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts

Try Fischermotors in Lake Barrington. Highly recommend, he knows a shop he subbed some liner repairs on mine while he was doing air condenser replacements for me.

Last edited by Willys 47; 09-13-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-14-2023, 09:08 AM
frisbee91
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

I believe the zipper attaches the interior liner around the rear window. The plastic window is permanently attached with a glue-in seam.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:54 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 395 Likes on 293 Posts

I wonder how consistent it is, a friend of mine had a earlier car and his top instruction said unzip and lower the window before dropping the top to prevent scratching...

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Question