Value of Aftermarket Body Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2023, 04:22 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Value of Aftermarket Body Kit?

Hi, all.

Kelley Blue Book says a '99 996 in good condition is worth around $15k today but doesn't account for any aftermarket body upgrades. Any ideas how this might affect my vehicle's value (for better or worse)?

Here's some pics. It's a stock '99 C2 Cabriolet in arctic white (with removable hard top option and BBS wheels) and three body upgrades: a "turbo look" front bumper, "aero kit" side skirts, and fixed wing. These were chosen from three different aftermarket makers to simulate a turbo cab I'd seen online and fell in love with (but definitely couldn't afford). I wanted the turbo intakes on the rear quarter panels too but we couldn't find anybody making them back in 2010. Total investment was around $15k.

Any ideas?

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Cabriolet (arctic white) with aftermarket "turbo look" front body kit, "aero kit" side skirts, and fixed wing. Front view.

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Cabriolet (arctic white) with aftermarket "turbo look" front body kit, "aero kit" side skirts, and fixed wing. Rear view.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:18 AM
voodu3
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

https://www.classic.com/m/porsche/91...riolet-manual/

this is a pretty good snapshot of the current market. From my experience mods like aero kits are buyer specific. Some will see it as a plus others won’t.
The following 2 users liked this post by voodu3:
dporto (09-27-2023), wdb (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 10:11 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 132 Posts

I would think many people are in the market for factory aero kit.
Old 09-27-2023, 10:26 AM
old man neri
Three Wheelin'

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

My take on it is, (based on all sorts of makes/models) the more these cars move into the 'classic' and eventually onto 'collector' status the more and more value will be placed on it being original or factory options as the years go by. After market modifications will start to detract. Of course there could always be the 'right buyer'.

Exceptions to this are generally accepted after market solutions/modifications to design flaws. E.g. having an updated IMSB will probably not be a detractor.

Example: I am shopping for a 996, I skipped this one because it had way to many aftermarket stuff for me. Although there is probably someone out there looking for a supercharged 996. In this extreme example that 11K supercharger is not adding any value as the car is still listed for 25K. (I can post the listing because it's a Facebook Market place one and it seems to be blocked here)

Just my take.

Last edited by old man neri; 09-27-2023 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-27-2023, 11:10 AM
philbert996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
…..the more these cars move into the 'classic' and eventually onto 'collector' status the more and more value will be placed on it being original or factory options as the years go by. After market modifications will start to detract.
I agree
People are beginning to look for originality in 996s.
The sale prices on BAT reflect that.

Cosmetic modifications are personal and can limit the sales market and decrease the value.
With that said the aerokit on your cab looks well done.
But I don’t think it increases the value.
(just my opinion)
Old 09-28-2023, 10:21 AM
azlvr
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think a lot has to do with your location. In SoCal body kits are very common, North Dakota not so much.
You get the idea.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:22 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 329 Posts

negative every single time unless it's RUF installed RUF parts.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:51 AM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,721 Likes on 881 Posts

IMHO there is no additional value here and maybe negative value. The bumper seems to look like it's from a 991 gen and the rear wing is from a .2 car or a later model. Ideally if you'd like an kind of additional value from a kit, OEM or aftermarket, it's best to keep it within the same generation.
Old 09-28-2023, 04:50 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 898 Posts

Do you have the factory bumpers? I know it sounds terrible but the $15k in bodykit upgrades wont help your resale UNLESS someone really really likes the look. OEM aero seems to command the most.
The following users liked this post:
EVOMMM (09-28-2023)
Old 09-28-2023, 06:08 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave_D
Hi, all.

Kelley Blue Book says a '99 996 in good condition is worth around $15k today but doesn't account for any aftermarket body upgrades. Any ideas how this might affect my vehicle's value (for better or worse)?

Here's some pics. It's a stock '99 C2 Cabriolet in arctic white (with removable hard top option and BBS wheels) and three body upgrades: a "turbo look" front bumper, "aero kit" side skirts, and fixed wing. These were chosen from three different aftermarket makers to simulate a turbo cab I'd seen online and fell in love with (but definitely couldn't afford). I wanted the turbo intakes on the rear quarter panels too but we couldn't find anybody making them back in 2010. Total investment was around $15k.

Any ideas?1999 Porsche 996 C2 Cabriolet (arctic white) with aftermarket "turbo look" front body kit, "aero kit" side skirts, and fixed wing. Front view.

1999 Porsche 996 C2 Cabriolet (arctic white) with aftermarket "turbo look" front body kit, "aero kit" side skirts, and fixed wing. Rear view.
After selling three Porsches of this generation and dealing with many buyers, IMHO, most are looking for unmolested, low mileage 996 cars in factory condition, not modified with aftermarket parts. It's just a fact of the market. While you may appreciate the aftermarket 997 aero style front bumper, carbon lip spoiler, side skirts, and rear wing, these were not options from Porsche at the factory or aftersales.

Personally, I would try selling it as is, but first remove all the personal stuff like the "SSCC / NORC" stickers. Remove the yellowing lower paint protective film. If you still have them, include all genuine factory parts with the deal. That's what I did, and it sealed the deal with the buyer even though my parts were OE Porsche parts.

Quick Reply: Value of Aftermarket Body Kit?