Sponsored by:

Revisited: Prefill oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2023, 02:50 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,676 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
Some are the type that CANNOT be pre-filled ( for those who think that not pre-filling is so so bad..)
see if you can tell which were pre-filled vs which were not pre-filled

The following 2 users liked this post by ZuffenZeus:
Porschetech3 (11-14-2023), wildbilly32 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 03:43 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
Skimming this thread, is there a distinction if pre-filling or not pre-filling the oil filter applies to those doing a routine oil change vs first oil fill on a newly built engine? Seems like some folks are chiming in saying it's fine to do during a normal oil change while Yaz has had bad experience with it but on a freshly built motor that never had a drop of oil in it before. Or maybe it doesn't matter ....

Yes, it matters greatly ....during routine maintenance it doesn't really matter because the oil pump gears are wet and a lot of oil still remains in the system..

But after a rebuild, there is no oil except where oil is put during assembly ( or assembly lube) and the oil pump gears are dry ( unless you intentionally lube them) so putting on a pre-filled oil filter can create a slight "trap" that a dry oil pump will have difficulty in pushing through..

Let me show a visual and get a little deeper into the physics..

The red X is a 1 inch channel from the oil pump inlet that goes back half way of the engine then down to the bottom of the Sump

The yellow x is a 1 inch channel that goes all the way to the rear of the engine then down to the oil filter

From the oil filter a 1 inch channel goes up to the top of the engine to the oil cooler before going back down to the main oil galley that feeds all the bearings and heads..

The green line represent the oil level when filled.

During routine oil changes all of this is wet and a lot of oil is still everywhere even though a lot of air does get in, the wet oil pump has no trouble pushing air though and atmospheric pressure pushes oil up to the oil pump gears and the system is "primed"...

But after an engine rebuild, all of this dry, the 1 inch channel to the bottom of the Sump ( red X) ..the oil pump and gears , the 1 inch channel (yellow X) all the way to the oil filter..all is dry....So IF you install a pre-filled oil filter it creates a bit of a "trap" ( like a "P trap" under the kitchen sink) and when you fill the Sump with oil, the oil will not even go up the pick-up tube to near the pump ( the green oil level line), the oil will not even go up to the oil fill line, it will be empty all the way to the bottom of the Sump ( unless you fill the Sump first, then install the pre-filled filter, but then the pump gears are still dry.)and the pump gears being "dry" will not push air through the wet oil filter media (unless it is turning at a high RPM or has been wetted or lubed or packed with a petroleum jelly.).so if you start an engine like this it will not build oil pressure untill it is too late..

So there is a lot of things going on and many ways to slightly help or hurt the situation..

Air can be pushed through a dry filter media easier then it can be pushed through a wet filter media...

AND if you just install the filter dry ( not pre-filled) and start the engine ( not just spin it with the starter because the starter RPM is not quite enough to push the air out) the pump will spin fast enough to push all the air out and prime the system.

There are many ways to skin a cat, and Technicians know many ways fix a car ( ie. easiest/ safest/best but more difficult/best but more risk if not done to the "t")
The following 6 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
Falcon911 (11-14-2023), islaTurbine (11-14-2023), jandackson (11-15-2023), JohnCA58 (11-14-2023), M422A1 (11-14-2023), yaz996 (11-15-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-14-2023, 03:46 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by hbdunn
He actually said he did two without prefilling and the third with prefill had zero.
It is still inconclusive. Unless he follows the prefill test with a no prefill test that finds bearing material, he has not proven anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by wdb:
M422A1 (11-14-2023), Porschetech3 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 05:28 PM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by ltusler
I fill mine half way.
Not sure if you are serious or not but I LMAO when I read it . If it was an attempt at humor well done 😁
Old 11-14-2023, 05:44 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,351 Likes on 1,970 Posts

Originally Posted by 996C438
Not sure if you are serious or not but I LMAO when I read it . If it was an attempt at humor well done 😁

I know right ? This forum loves to take two giant steps backwards technically to take one baby step forward.....
Old 11-14-2023, 06:44 PM
ltusler
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 996C438
Thanks, yes, I should have used the green text color.

Quick Reply: Revisited: Prefill oil filter