996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Tiptronic self shifting in manual mode?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 11:03 AM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tiptronic self shifting in manual mode?

So I've posted a couple times about some odd shifts (in manual mode) into and out of 4th gear. Doesn't happen often, and only when fully warmed and driving harder, so I've avoided [overly] aggressive driving, and pay attention to the rpms when shifting, until I can get it in this winter.

But now something new is happening and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this - it's shifting as if it's in automatic while in manual.

Occasionally now it'll downshift on its own while in manual mode. Not all the time and not at any inappropriate time, but sometimes if I'm slowing it'll downshift on its own while in manual mode. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, it's done this in 5th, 4th, and 3rd, once downshifting in steps from 4th to 2nd just as if it was in automatic mode.

Is this a thing? Or could this be an indication that my other shifting issue could be due the computer module breaking down and not internal seals?
Old 11-18-2023, 01:17 PM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

Normal. I rarely downshift manually as the car does it for you. It will even upshift if you near the redline, at least that's what I've read.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:10 PM
beermanpete
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine behave this way as well. In manual in upshifts at red line and downshifts at about 1500 rpm.
Old 11-18-2023, 05:29 PM
Einsteiger
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Not an expert, but I believe there are a couple of baked-in safety features that allow the trans to protect itself. It won't let you hold a gear when the programming says "SHIFT"
Old 11-18-2023, 05:33 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,362 Likes on 1,974 Posts

In the 996..1 with the ZF Tip the manual mode is more like a Sport plus plus. It will upshift at Redline if you forget to, and It will down shift at 1500 if you forget to, but otherwise you can downshift early at like 5000RPM going into a turn without your foot on the throttle, ( if you are trying to keep RPM at about 5000 at all times) so you will be ready to accelerate out of a turn, or you can upshift early with your foot planted on the floor if you don't want to go all the way to 7000PM...

Also if are having any fault codes going on it will switch out of manual mode back to automatic mode even though you have the lever in manual mode,( like a flakey TPS Sensor) but if you are watching the dash LED's it will show the gear your are in plus automatic mode or manual mode which ever it is actually in...It will even switch back to manual mode if the Sensor starts acting right...
The following 2 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
F. Thumb (11-18-2023), SealG996 (11-19-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 07:43 PM
irontmp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F. Thumb
So I've posted a couple times about some odd shifts (in manual mode) into and out of 4th gear. Doesn't happen often, and only when fully warmed and driving harder, so I've avoided [overly] aggressive driving, and pay attention to the rpms when shifting, until I can get it in this winter.

But now something new is happening and I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this - it's shifting as if it's in automatic while in manual.

Occasionally now it'll downshift on its own while in manual mode. Not all the time and not at any inappropriate time, but sometimes if I'm slowing it'll downshift on its own while in manual mode las vegas party rentals. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in, it's done this in 5th, 4th, and 3rd, once downshifting in steps from 4th to 2nd just as if it was in automatic mode.

Is this a thing? Or could this be an indication that my other shifting issue could be due the computer module breaking down and not internal seals?
Hi, I noticed something in my B8 2009 A4 2.0T quattro with tiptronic. When I have the manual mode and floor the gas, it suddenly knocks/hits when downshifting. It kind of makes sense because it downshifts to give more power, but the downshift is not smooth at all.. In fact, it kinda hits/knocks... It also happens in my friend's 2013 A5 2.0T turbo 8-speed. Is it normal, or is it a sign that we should do maintenance in the transmission? Thanks!
Old 11-28-2023, 07:48 PM
F. Thumb
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd look into the valve body. That's where I'm at right now.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (11-28-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:15 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 103 Posts

Our 996.2 when in manual transmission mode and starting in 1st gear; at high RPMs it will automatically upshift all the way to 5th, and then when RPMs drop low automatically downshifts to 2nd (which is the lowest gear a warmed up engine normally sees in automatic mode).

I know the computer shouldn't allow an engine to be destroyed but it should be done via fuel injection shut down rather than forced transmission shifts, which is the way our Ford operates.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:05 PM
theprf
Drifting

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,047 Posts

My 722.6 Tip 996 Turbo would auto upshift at redline even in manual mode with a nifty no-lift-shift to keep the turbos spooled up. I have the datalogs to prove it. I can't see that behavior being a problem, actually I think it's a benefit. It would also stack downshifts and make the downshift when it was safe to do so. Really it was a pretty good setup for 20 year old tech.
The following users liked this post:
Einsteiger (12-10-2023)
Old 12-09-2023, 08:29 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,362 Likes on 1,974 Posts

Originally Posted by theprf
My 722.6 Tip 996 Turbo would auto upshift at redline even in manual mode with a nifty no-lift-shift to keep the turbos spooled up. I have the datalogs to prove it. I can't see that behavior being a problem, actually I think it's a benefit. It would also stack downshifts and make the downshift when it was safe to do so. Really it was a pretty good setup for 20 year old tech.

Yes!! That's why I prefer the TIp on Turbo ...

Banging shifts on a G50 is just not cool, ....and the delay between shifts if not banging seems like an eternity when there is so much torque on and off...

Quick Reply: Tiptronic self shifting in manual mode?