Is my 911 toast?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 04:10 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is my 911 toast?

Hello all

I purchased a 2002 cab with 33k on the clock two years ago. I had the IMS and Clutch changed when I bought it. It has ran great since and two oil analysis have come back with good reports. Outside of the changing the window regulator to fix a rattle and ignition switch as it was starting to go, it’s been a good car and I’ve added 12k to the mileage. After doing the bearing and clutch I was clearly upside down in the car but it didn’t matter to as intended to keep it and drive the crap out of it.( even bought one purposely that was not perfect body wise so I could drive the hell out of it without worrying).

I had the oil changed prior to winter storage then took it out one more day. The temperature dropped to the 20s that night and while driving it a warring light slow flashed. I pulled over and checked the reservoir wasn’t empty. Drove it home and it seemed to flash intermittently. At home it seemed maybe a touch low so I added a bit of distilled water to overflow and put it up for winter.

We had a insane cold week here where temps were sub zero and my second garage is not heated. A few weeks later I went to start 911 and it would not fire.
just cranked over
I checked volts on battery, could hear the fuel pump prime, so I figured it had to a spark issue and maybe the computer was cold so waited a few weeks to let it warm up more. Went to start it after a few weeks and on second crank if fired but didn’t start, a couple more cranks and it started to fire more each time. About the 6th crank it started it ran rough and I heard a loud bang then white smoke out of driver side tail pipe. Heavy antifreeze smell and I’m loosing coolant at fast rate( it’s not the Aos)

So I’ve blown the head or gasket or the cylinder is cracked. My question is what are my options?
Rebuilds are 30k used 15k plus any engine swap seems to run 20+all of which make no sense on a 996 cab based on the current values.
I do not have the knowledge to rebuild it myself or I would. Can the head alone be replaced?
Can I save this car for a reasonable amount or should I just accept that is a 30+ boat anchor worth 3GS
I am not the normal 911 buyer so I can’t just buy another one. I also have owned a lot of older muscle cars as well as modern ones and I’ve never “loved” the driving experience like I do this car, it is simply everything I wanted it to be. The old line about never meeting your hero’s ( sat inside a european spec 72s at 14) did not happen to me. I do not want to loose this car.
Chuck

The following users liked this post:
museguy (04-28-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 04:33 PM
996-CAB
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 148 Posts

When you saw warning light flashing, I'm assuming the temp gauge, did you notice if the temperature exceeded 180 degrees? Have you found where the coolant leak is? Have you checked the oil to see if antifreeze is mixed in? If so, you need to drain it.
Old 03-23-2024, 04:40 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

I don’t think it overheated. I would have shut it down and waited on side of road.
it was just the slow flash And I assumed it was the expansion tank or cap.
I did get a bring to mechanic light after the bang.
I have not checked the oil yet. There is no leaking under the car or in engine bay.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:11 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,359 Likes on 1,972 Posts

I suspect a series of events. It being an 02 with the early m96/03 engine, they are known for the exhaust valve seats dropping out of the head when they get overheated...I suspect the low coolant slow flash was a warning coolant was being lost, and that could produce some "air pockets" inside the engine and localized over-heating that loosened the exhaust valve seats..The loud bang was when the valve seat fell and stuck the exhaust valve open and hit the piston, this usually breaks the piston and cylinder wall and hence the white smoke and coolant out the exhaust...

This is just speculation/conjecture based on the description and prior knowledge of similar events, but my gut says the engine is toast ....sorry.

The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
damage98MO (03-24-2024), igrip (03-24-2024), sdematt (03-25-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 12:24 AM
My1stpor
Track Day

Thank you all.

It is what I expected. Am I correct on the numbers as far as replacing the engine? No option under 10k or so?
If I am I either need to figure how to get a 997 or buy another 996 same color and strip everything off mine as extra parts.

Thanks for help
Chuck
igrip (03-24-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 12:12 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 617 Posts

I think $10K would get you a donor motor that probably needs another few $K put into it at minimum, up to a total rebuild.

I'd suggest a new shortblock from Porsche but from the sounds of it you'd still need to source a cylinder head as well. That route might be the least costly for a reliable replacement, but you're still going to be in the $20K range.

Lots of guesswork in those numbers by the way!
Old 03-24-2024, 09:52 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,588 Likes on 992 Posts

If there’s a used engine for sale, you could swap it out, but the used engine needs to be good, or else it’s like $10k gone.

I really think, though, before you do anything, you want a mechanic to diagnose or tear down the motor to see exactly what’s needed. That’s going to cost up to a grand or two, but you really do need to know what’s wrong with it before you decide on anything major.
blacksquid (03-25-2024)
Old 03-24-2024, 10:09 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

I actually towed it to a local mechanic here to look at in the am, he called and he informed me that yes I have coolant in the cylinder( Umm I knew that).
I asked how much would you charge me to pull the engine and the head? I figured 1200,1500 I’d do it.
He then said I don’t work on internal water cooled. Might have mentioned that on the phone and saved me two tow fees.

I would gladly pay someone to pull the engine and see if I could get for that money. I’m west Chicago Sub
I agree that it is likely that there is damage to cylinder but if not a new heads 4000.+ labor and I’d spend that.

Chuck

Old 03-24-2024, 10:11 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 642 Likes on 401 Posts

If you lived closer, I would do it. I did it for someone else on this board a couple years ago. He ended up with 2 cracked cylinders.
The following 4 users liked this post by yelcab:
911Dreamer (03-25-2024), kromdom (04-05-2024), museguy (04-28-2024), My1stpor (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 09:13 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,283 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Is it a 3.4 or 3.6l motor? I have 3.4l heads i would sell at core pricing if u need them.
2mAn (03-28-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 01:30 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

Thank you for the offer. However it is the 3.6
Old 03-25-2024, 08:47 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Please help me understand how the engine overheated if the OP just went to start up and it didnt?

My 04 had a low reservoir below the min mark for a while. I didnt realize it until after 4 months of prob dirving around like that. I ended up putting distilled water to bring it up above min. When it was hot and driven it went a tad over the max mark for a day or two. Now its back below the min mark when cold, when hot and driving around good...Its above the min mark. I have placed close attention and checking to see if it drains more and it hasnt. I smell no coolant or see any leaks. I have never gotten any lights on low, I have gotten the dreaded engine failure light though, I realize my sensor is failing and its prone to do this when failing

My indy wrench will be doing a oil change soon and I was planning on him having a better look at it. Me being at 72k miles I know the waterpump and lines will need to be checked and changed out for issues and a flush as well.
Old 03-25-2024, 09:04 PM
My1stpor
Track Day

You may have missed it in the post but I drove the car the night before I stored it. That is when the slow flash came on. It could have over heated during that drive but I do believe I would have noticed. It was still in normal operating range when light first flashed.
I believe the air pocket scenario to be the most probable based on the sound I heard.

911Dreamer (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 11:19 PM
GC996
Rennlist Member

Received 3,484 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Originally Posted by My1stpor
I actually towed it to a local mechanic here to look at in the am, he called and he informed me that yes I have coolant in the cylinder( Umm I knew that).
I asked how much would you charge me to pull the engine and the head? I figured 1200,1500 I’d do it.
He then said I don’t work on internal water cooled. Might have mentioned that on the phone and saved me two tow fees.

I would gladly pay someone to pull the engine and see if I could get for that money. I’m west Chicago Sub
I agree that it is likely that there is damage to cylinder but if not a new heads 4000.+ labor and I’d spend that.

Chuck
Chuck, sorry to hear about the 996. I am also in the western subs as well. Feel free to pm if you need some ideas on indys.

Glenn
My1stpor (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:28 AM
996C438
Rennlist Member

Received 641 Likes on 288 Posts

LN Engineering is in Illinois , contact them for guidance . They have the expertise to provide solid options .

Quick Reply: Is my 911 toast?