Differential noise After tranny mount change

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 12:14 AM
saveferris199
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Differential noise After tranny mount change

Hi All
i recently took my 04 Carrera 4s to a local independent that was recommended by several fellow owners in my area. I got the oil changed, and brake fluid flushed and also had the transmission mount changed out. The car has about 85k and since I acquired it I’ve accepted that the transmission is not in great shape. The differential noise has always been pretty loud and I have common second gear synchro issues I’ve read others having on here as well. I didn’t know if the transmission mount was the original or not, but read some stories of changing it helping with smoothness of the shifting. last year I had the transmission and differential fluid changed at a different shop.

when I left with the car after the work was done I noticed the differential noise was different. Instead of the “howl” I had mostly only heard in first gear I now hear more of a “whine” in first and and now also in second gear. I can’t decide if it’s better or worse but certainly different.

Is there any known reason for this happening after changing the transmission mount? Is this a progression to my aging transmission and does it indicate a lack of proper care and more damage being done to the car when the mount was changed ? I really liked everything about the experience of this shop, but if this was caused by lack of care, I wouldn’t want to go back. I specifically asked them if they had a took to change the mount because another shop I’ve used in the past did not. They said they did have the tool.

thanks much
Old 03-26-2024, 12:57 AM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I’m subscribing because my 89k miles 04 996 started the same thing after I replaced the front transmission mount (I bought the $180 tool).

The howl became clearer, and I’ve had the car at two well respected shops that didn’t find anything wrong with the car (I’ve had it 8 months now and have replaced the engine mounts that made the shifting and basic handling better, and last the transmission mount that made the noise)

-Eric
04 996
Old 03-26-2024, 08:32 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

U have changed the isolator from the trans to the car so it is dampening the nvh different. There is no change with the trans issue just in the way its percieved. These cars have nvh, its part if what connects u to the driving experience and its fairly common to hear the trans.
The following 2 users liked this post by De Jeeper:
dporto (03-26-2024), saveferris199 (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 02:45 PM
saveferris199
Intermediate

Thanks @De Jeeper The transmission noise I experience certainly is 'excessive'. My neighbor has a 996 and when he pulls away all i hear is Engine and Exhaust note.. Frowny face for me.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:13 PM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,281 Likes on 1,713 Posts

In your case its probably the main shaft bearing. Its a somewhat common issue. It usually repaired by a specialty shop because it requires a 40 ton press.
Old 03-27-2024, 12:23 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,119 Likes on 616 Posts

Are we talking about OE transmission/engine mounts, or did someone talk you into "upgraded" stuff?
Old 03-27-2024, 12:49 PM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

Same phenomenon happened to me after my engine rebuild. I changed the trans mount and when I drive the car the first time I was shocked at how noisy the trans was. I fiddled with the brackets to align them better which helped but did not alleviate the ring and pinion noise and 1st gear noise. I’m driving it as if nothing is wrong. Will get it rebuilt if it gets worse (it hasn’t).
Old 03-27-2024, 01:52 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I used the lemforder (something like that) stock looking mount…. When I first put it in, I jacked the transmission up before tightening the mount, and ended up with some strange vibrations……. Once I loosened it, and lowered it a bit, the vibrations went away, but it is surprisingly loud….

-Eric
Old 04-03-2024, 06:41 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 113 Posts

Similar scenario for me - installed Powerflex black inserts - extremely noisy - changed to yellow still very noisy. Thinking about removing the yellow and just replacing the mount with a one.
The following users liked this post:
dporto (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:55 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Similar scenario for me - installed Powerflex black inserts - extremely noisy - changed to yellow still very noisy. Thinking about removing the yellow and just replacing the mount with a one.
Ha! I did this as well… The first time I drove it after the install (black) I thought I screwed something up…lots of nvh. I drove it this way for well over a year, before I removed the black inserts and went with the yellow. Much better but still noisier than no inserts (stock). I can live with it and actually sort of like it…(unless I’m trying to take a phone call).
Old 04-16-2024, 09:57 PM
saveferris199
Intermediate

@wdb as OP I will finally reply to your question - my replacement mount was straight OE. My symptoms similar to @jandackson . I will say it's been over a month since I got the mount replaced and, I'm either more used to the noise, or it has settled into place a bit and the really strong ring and Pinion whine in 1st gear has quieted down a little bit. At first it was a 'whoa' or 'oh no' kind of loudness.

THanks for all the help everyone on this post.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:03 AM
jandackson
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 96 Posts

I can confirm that the transmission noise is slightly less now than 6k miles ago. Oddly, at 2200-2800 rpm the mount seems to transmit more timing chain noise to the cabin too, which is also diminishing. If I drive over long humps in the road the mount will load and unload as the engine/trans reacts to the long humps in the road. The noise oscillates in time with the humps. I’m just living with it.

Quick Reply: Differential noise After tranny mount change