Sponsored by:

AOS 996.2 replacement..whoa!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2024, 04:36 PM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default AOS 996.2 replacement..whoa!

Hey everybody…I’m replacing the AOS which is a significant endeavors. I’m reaching out as I’m stuck at removing drivers side manifold due to the last bolt being difficult to remove. See next to green tape in mirror shot. Getting wrench on it blind is a bitch( I can’t use left hand and look at mirror and using right is awkward)…and it appears it will hit the bottom of AOS. I’ve attempted to get AOS to move up and it wasn’t go up enough. I see only one bolt(new 2002 design..99610702652…no bellows) This one was replaced at 15K in 2011 and now has 33k & 13 years of use of use) I hear the UAOS is better but I am going with OEM again as I read they are improved. I’m waiting on the replacement to arrive to see if the is a bolt on the back I’m missing. I’ll also try to get as many hoses off. Popular video I reviewed seems to take AOS and hoses off as a whole. That video is of first gen car also however. They came from the top to get that last bolt off …I can’t see if it’s being blocked as mine is. Moving the AOS to the side would seem to be easiest at this point…
I’d not like to have to back track and drop this tranny. Any help appreciated…Thx

Hose on bottom of AOS secured with two clamps…one on left difficult to reach…one hex bolt top right

Difficult to get leverage on the screw…how high it’s up took several minutes..a mm at a time…gotta turn your brain around lmao 🤣

Any tips appreciated

Last edited by RTSC4S; 04-03-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:33 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I’ve not done a .2 as my AOS was still working perfect when I did my UAOS, so I just blocked the vent port. I did do a .1 and, while not easy, was doable. I’m sure Skip will see this and give you some pointers from a true expert. I feel your pain though.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:59 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,355 Likes on 1,971 Posts

If you go to the advanced search function and type in "bitch bolt" , you will find tons of discussion on how to get this out.....

This is ONE of the reasons I delveloped the "UAOS LIfetime" system.....so that part never needs to be replaced again and saves labor$$$ in the long run...

Also, what is this "improvement" you heard about?? The Factory AOS has been revised about 6 times over the years....but none have proved to be an improvement...actually more "infant mortality" have been noticed...
The following 3 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
igrip (04-04-2024), JohnCA58 (04-03-2024), SealG996 (04-06-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 01:17 AM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschetech3
If you go to the advanced search function and type in "bitch bolt" , you will find tons of discussion on how to get this out.....

This is ONE of the reasons I delveloped the "UAOS LIfetime" system.....so that part never needs to be replaced again and saves labor$$$ in the long run...

Also, what is this "improvement" you heard about?? The Factory AOS has been revised about 6 times over the years....but none have proved to be an improvement...actually more "infant mortality" have been noticed...
id like more info on your UAOS system please. I have researched and if I go this route will the long hose that goes from drivers side to passenger side of OEM system still be used. I ordered a new one as this is where the leak was occcuring . I do not track this car. As part if their IMS package AOS was included and there was no evidence of the original being bad. Nevertheless I got 30 thousand miles of of an OEM one …it took 11 years to cover that distance. It would make it easier for the next owner. Thanks for your comments…it would be easier for me or future owners to try this UAOS…”bitch bolt”. How appropriate…I said that worD many times over the last 48 hours…LMAO about an AOS.
isnt bellows the older design yet the UAOS uses one to install if I’m reading correctly? And are there customer modification that must be done during install or does unit come “plug and play.

Last edited by RTSC4S; 04-04-2024 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2024, 12:26 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

@RTSC4S The UAOS System is plug-n-play...no mods nesseary. Yes you can sill use the OEM cross-over breather tube...

Here is just a quick 10 point list of the Benifits ,I've been working on a more comprehensive list and Q&A list, but things get in the way...lol

1. The UAOS costs less than the Motorsport AOS and outperforms it by a wide margin. MS AOS for 996.2 $900 MS AOS for 996.1 $1600 ..

2. The Factory AOS is indeed a frail part, it have been revised by Porsche about 6 times (seen in part number revisions) and is still
as frail as ever. I have replaced many engines under Warranty / Extended Warranty from Hydrolock. When Hydrolock occurs under Warranty ,
Porsche will replace the engine. They wont even clear the oil and crank the engine see if it knocks or has any other symptoms, the reasoning
being it could have a "slightly" bent rod and show no signs, symptoms, or noise, and still be prone to early failure due to a rod that is
no longer perfectly straight, and that dissemble and inspection would just be extra expense. We have seen at least one to two Hydroloocks
per year in this form for the last 10 years. Below are just a couple of photos, one from FSI on a new engine that had an early AOS failure,
one from an unnamed shop out west.. There has been thousands of AOS failures and some owners have had multiple AOS failures in consecutive years.

3. The UAOS has a 2 year Unlimited Waranty on all parts, and a Lifetime Warranty on the AOS. The AOS used in UAOS is made from Polyamide66 /35% glass filled.
A Study of this material shows that under extreme temperature and pressure is has a life expectancy of 35-47 years, under Automotive use I would be considered
a Lifetime. The part that fails is the FLOW DIAPHRAGM which in the UAOS is modified to eliminate its propensity .

4 . In the UAOS the FLOW DIAPHRAGM / REGULATOR is encased in an inexpensive part that is located in a very easy to access location., This makes any service
easy and labor effective and saves $1600 dollars in labor in 9 years if you follow the 3 years rule.

5. The UAOS with the optional high mileage/ Extreme Track Duty drain back can drain back oil twice as fast as the Motorsport AOS. The Motorsport AOS
still uses the Factory drain to get the oil back down to the sump, The UAOS also uses the factory drain but includes a Second Drain to make the drain back
twice as fast.

6 . The UAOS has an Accumulator that works as a secondary oil separator to ensure no oil makes it to the intake manifold.Pluss copper mesh filters for extra effficiency.

7. The UAOS has a Micro Controlled Infra-red warning sensor in the Accumulator to warn of system failure or excess oil accumulation to stop the threat of Hydrolock.

8. The UAOS is so efficient ,the engine can be ran "over-filled" with oil to help mitigate oil pressure instability on the Track. ( with Drain Back option).

9. The UAOS is all Plug and Play wire harness connectors simply plug in, all custom aluminium/Nylon hoses are hand built to fit .

10. The UAOS application has been expanded to fit not only the 996, but the 997.1 and 986 and 987.1 engines.also..

BTW the UAOS kits are on back-order for 3-4 weeks, but LN Engineering has some on the shelf..
The following 7 users liked this post by Porschetech3:
996-CAB (04-05-2024), allcool (04-05-2024), diddy2003 (04-04-2024), GC996 (04-04-2024), JohnCA58 (04-04-2024), Optionman1 (04-04-2024), SealG996 (04-06-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-05-2024, 01:01 PM
allcool
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RTSC4S
I have researched and if I go this route will the long hose that goes from drivers side to passenger side of OEM system still be used. I ordered a new one as this is where the leak was occcuring .
IIRR, PT3 offers a very nice 'heavy duty cross-over breather tube' ..?
Old 04-05-2024, 05:12 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I would never go through installing a stock AOS when the UAOS is so far superior and easily worked if it ever does fail. It is truly a great design and how Porsche should have done it first time around.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:26 PM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Well fellow enthusiast I totally get that the UAOS is superior design and can only increase value and reliability. What’s not motivating is tackling getting the OEM off so now that the “bitch bolt(BB)” had been conquered. “I got a whole new AOStitude”…. Many have suggested that moving the AOS out of the way made the BB more accessible. It is visible in a mirror shot pic1…Once AOS shifted out of the way I could reach my hand with a tool right on top of the BB. See pic2 of the back of my hand holding bolt. This best done from below…pic3. Now I can go after the long breather hose while waiting for UAOS to come . Seems to me it should be possible to just detach it from right side of engine and thread through. Since mine is leaking I won’t reuse it. If cutting out doesn’t work …I’ll remove the passenger manifold after the compressor and power steering reservoir out if necessary. I’ve done that before doing the power steering pump

8mm innermost holding 996.2 AOS in place…once removed AOS can be shifted

Got the BB by the throat…like a lion on a impala..lmao. Mirror image …my hand coming from below

Mag tool keep screws from falling once all the way out

Last edited by RTSC4S; 04-05-2024 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:04 AM
RTSC4S
Instructor

Another day of progress toward what has now turned into a Ultimate upgrade. …Good job and appreciate Skip spending some time consulting with me on his product.
On procedure…take the coolant tank out and lower the engine…necessary evils Both manifolds removed to get the long S hose. Found the small hole in this hose..very obscure.Pic2 Definitely label…some kind of ID pics to help reinstall screws and hoses…etc
The spray of oil apparently “soaked” the harness connections pic3 going to coils …most likely what through 4 and 5 misfires…oddly even though coated with oil residue did not get a code on 6. I’ll see once on the road if code follows the coil pack after cleaning them up. Opening the harness up to check for contamination hopefully will prevent further damage if any. I didn’t escape having to replace the oil fill tube which had a slit in in and “snapped in two” when I moved it to remove long hose…don’t know if vacuum leak has been occurring there…20 year old soy based plastic

Is that a rodent bite? Oil was spraying out here

Lots of oil on that connector and harness to clean

Very wet there

…and there

This is a wishbone …last year I found a skull of a bird while repairing light harness chewed up by possibly the same culprit that “stashing bones” in da Porsche
we have a lot of cats that roam my neighborhood…Siverado had to block any entrance under the house…have found their business area while repairing the furnace. I wouldn’t be surprised if a warm 3.6 made a nice hibernation spot.
The AOS I removed had 20k miles on it. Installed when IMS was done at 15k…there wasn’t any issue just parts of the requirements for Raby’ outfit doing the IMS..pretty much a testament they the OEM aren’t adequate😒
The following users liked this post:
GC996 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 05:06 PM
RTSC4S
Instructor

As I continue and wait for the arrival of UAOS ordered today evaluation of possible consequences of oil contamination of cylinder on passenger side bank.
Slightly more oily film around no5 coil than no6. Car is parked on slight rear down grade so may have travel rearward to 4 and 5. Wear these 15k spark plugs look within normal range…grayish tan however there is some “dampness” on both. 5 ( which threw a misfire code) more than 6. I’m going to switch the coils around of 5 and 6 and see if code comes back. Next step possibly new plugs

Bosch Supers condition. Which plug do most folk like?
Old 04-07-2024, 05:42 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Is this UAOS applicable to 997.1 models ?
Old 04-07-2024, 10:03 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by RTSC4S
As I continue and wait for the arrival of UAOS ordered today evaluation of possible consequences of oil contamination of cylinder on passenger side bank.
Slightly more oily film around no5 coil than no6. Car is parked on slight rear down grade so may have travel rearward to 4 and 5. Wear these 15k spark plugs look within normal range…grayish tan however there is some “dampness” on both. 5 ( which threw a misfire code) more than 6. I’m going to switch the coils around of 5 and 6 and see if code comes back. Next step possibly new plugs

Bosch Supers condition. Which plug do most folk like?
I like either Porsche branded or Beru. I previously had a bad experience with some new Bosch plugs on my 996.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:20 PM
Porschetech3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Is this UAOS applicable to 997.1 models ?
@BHMav8r yes, there are 3 kits availible for 997.1 cars..

UAOS-AL-997.1A to fit 2005 997 with 3.6 engines before engine # 695 08696

UAOS-AL-997.1B to fit 2005 up 997 with 3.6 engines after engine # 695 08967

UAOS-AL-997.1C to fit 997.1 with 3.8 "S" engines...

All the models are availible with Optional Track Drain kits...
Old 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,650 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Very good to know - thank you.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:08 AM
RTSC4S
Instructor

…Thanks Ptech for all the points on the UAOS..let’s put a decal together. As I wait…wait…wait…wait for the Erling manifold gaskets. I will contact a local dealer to see if they may be in stock. One would think that with the popularity/availability of these “entry level 911$” more parts would be “in stock”.

Pcar Dealers

Dealer pricing turns this foot into a SprintBooster…he don’t need launch control
Everything is a 3 plus day wait. I’ll call and check and maybe get lucky. I’m working the club race at Michelin this weekend so off today resting up.it would be great to get some traction putting right side if top end back together. Couple of while you’re in there…oil filler tube cracked…pulled on it a little and just split open…vacuum leak potential gone. Your best friend is PB Blaster on 20 y/o bolts no matter how small. I’ve never had an issue with Bosch plugs …used in all 7 of my P cars over the years dating back to 1991 924T

Last edited by RTSC4S; 04-11-2024 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Misspelling
The following users liked this post:
Porschetech3 (04-16-2024)

Quick Reply: AOS 996.2 replacement..whoa!