Sponsored by:

996 Sport seats versus Recaro Sportsters

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 09:47 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 143 Posts
Default 996 Sport seats versus Recaro Sportsters

Anyone had both and have any opinions to share on how the two compare?

Old 04-21-2024, 03:36 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 189 Posts

Haven't sat in sportsters but I have the sport seats in my 996. I find the shoulder bolsters too narrow. They push your shoulders forward. The fact that they are convex/bulbous makes it worse because you basically have a single spot of contact between a bolster and your shoulder.
The 997 sports seat shoulder bolsters are concave and solved this issue.
The Sportsters are similar to the 997 sports seat by the look of them and I reckon are the better seat in every seating and driving aspect compared to the 996 sport seats.
HTH.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 04:50 AM
circuit.heart
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 115 Posts

Sportsters are overall better for my posture (and IIRC sit lower), but if your torso is narrow, the ribcage bolsters won't be very snug. I'm going this route as well as the used-market price for 996 sports seats is completely not worth it IMO.
TheChunkNorris (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 02:58 PM
TheChunkNorris
Rennlist Member

Received 1,859 Likes on 898 Posts

The weight savings between the two can be substantial in favor to the Recaros.
2mAn (04-22-2024)
Old 04-22-2024, 04:30 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 415 Likes on 301 Posts

I sit in the Sportster GT Star executive chair all day in the office (same chair with a different base), and it is our most popular executive chair due to comfort and support. Also, customers love them in their vehicles, many conversations start when we are out at events with the same "I've got these in my car!"

Reach out at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333, If you're ready to order, we'd want to tailor a few hardware components for your 996.

You can shop all RECARO Sportster GT styles on our website here: https://www.highline-autos.com/produ...-sportster-gt/

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 02 https://bit.ly/49A6n4M

Old 04-22-2024, 06:28 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 999 Likes on 532 Posts

If you track or even autocross, Recaros give you the option for a harness, but I can't see if those particular seats have the opening for the 5 or 6-point belts, which is important.
Old 04-22-2024, 06:45 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Marv
If you track or even autocross, Recaros give you the option for a harness, but I can't see if those particular seats have the opening for the 5 or 6-point belts, which is important.
RECARO Sportster GT is 3/4 point compatible only.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:24 PM
mtke
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed a set of Recaro sportster CS seats in my C2 and they’re great, my only complaint is if you’re tall you might run into a leg room issue. I’m 6’01” and had my stock comfort seats pushed all the way back. The Recaros can not slide as far back due to the adjustment shaft and the backing of the seat hitting the interior as it slopes inward, hard to describe but can get some photos if you want. My seating position is slightly more forward but I was able to adjust my driving position and I’m comfortable now. Aside from the that, I used the Planted seat mounts and I think they sit slightly higher than the stock comfort seats. Planted includes a spacer to mount the Recaro sliders to the mounting bracketed, if I drill new holes into the sliders I could do without the spacers. Additionally, I had to use a shorter 20mm class 10.9 hex bolt from Home Depot to secure the rear bolts of the seat bracket. Not a huge deal but another thing to consider.

For the most part these are a direct drop in but there was a few fiddley bits to consider. Overall I’m very happy with these compared to the stock comfort seats.

Let me know I’d you have more questions. Happy to answer what I can.
Highline-Autos.com (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 12:48 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtke
I just installed a set of Recaro sportster CS seats in my C2 and they’re great, my only complaint is if you’re tall you might run into a leg room issue. I’m 6’01” and had my stock comfort seats pushed all the way back. The Recaros can not slide as far back due to the adjustment shaft and the backing of the seat hitting the interior as it slopes inward, hard to describe but can get some photos if you want. My seating position is slightly more forward but I was able to adjust my driving position and I’m comfortable now. Aside from the that, I used the Planted seat mounts and I think they sit slightly higher than the stock comfort seats. Planted includes a spacer to mount the Recaro sliders to the mounting bracketed, if I drill new holes into the sliders I could do without the spacers. Additionally, I had to use a shorter 20mm class 10.9 hex bolt from Home Depot to secure the rear bolts of the seat bracket. Not a huge deal but another thing to consider.

For the most part these are a direct drop in but there was a few fiddley bits to consider. Overall I’m very happy with these compared to the stock comfort seats.

Let me know I’d you have more questions. Happy to answer what I can.
thanks all! I have a 993 and actually have both 996 sport seats and Sportsters in my garage. The 996 seats have to be customized slightly to fit the 993 so I wanted to get feedback before I take the plunge on doing that.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:58 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Very nice @mtke , and correct the Planted Base does sit higher than the RECARO 996 base option. We offer both.
Old 04-23-2024, 01:14 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,101 Likes on 707 Posts

I really like those seats and I would give anything to have manual sliders! My drivers side power seat quit working but at least it is in the correct position for me. No amount of troubleshooting of the seat electrics worked..I think the seat memory module blew when I changed out the battery. Oh well...
Old 04-23-2024, 03:58 PM
mtke
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by acr89
thanks all! I have a 993 and actually have both 996 sport seats and Sportsters in my garage. The 996 seats have to be customized slightly to fit the 993 so I wanted to get feedback before I take the plunge on doing that.
What kind of modifications are needed to fit in the 993? I'm guessing it's a similar fitment issue for the 996.

Originally Posted by Highline-Autos.com
Very nice @mtke , and correct the Planted Base does sit higher than the RECARO 996 base option. We offer both.
Thanks! At this point I'll probably just modify what I have vs buying more but it's good to know it's available.
Highline-Autos.com (04-23-2024)
Old 04-23-2024, 05:17 PM
acr89
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mtke
What kind of modifications are needed to fit in the 993? I'm guessing it's a similar fitment issue for the 996.
To fit the 996 seats in the 993, you mainly have to flatten out the front bracket, and remove the rear locating pin. Also have to remove the spring that helps adjust seat height. So reversible mods except for the rear locating pin, but I don’t know if the pin serves a purpose once the seat is bolted down.
mtke (04-23-2024)

Quick Reply: 996 Sport seats versus Recaro Sportsters