Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

got a 100+ mph speeding ticket. now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 04:35 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi DeAd-EyE,

I think too many people were getting off (at least here in the BA) when an officer wouldn't show up so they now only require the officer's presence if you plead not-guilty. So, there's never an officer at the first court appearance you'll make! Then, the court schedules you for an appearance on the one or two days a month the officer is required to be at the court house. The good news is that you are 100% guaranteed to have your day in court facing your accuser. If that's what you want... ;-)
Old 10-04-2004, 05:39 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Get a good lawyer. Since its your first ticket, you shouldnt be worried with the jail sentences. But be ready for a hefty fine, restricted license, and some points on your driving record.
Just hope that the cop doesn't show up for the court date.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Get a GOOD lawyer, I didn't know how to, hired this guy, who never returned my calls (got my money the first day I went there), sends his partner for pre-trial and he didn't know what the hell was going on, actually tells me that it's like sending a cardiologist for an eye surgery, now I hear the worse case scenario is a mandatory 30 day suspension with work previlages, and points. Seeing this dude's work ethics, that's what I think I'll end up with. So, if you know how to, get a good lawyer.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call this guy pronto !!

Sherman Ellison
Sherman Oaks, CA
1-818-780-8989

Don't wait a minute longer.

Then go back to the site of the alledged offense and take a camera with you and a notebook to record any thoughts and observations. Document all the events leading up to the bust and what you observed prior to, during and after it, including as close as possible the officer's words and your response. Photograph the site and the approach to it, and where he stopped you. Turn around and photograph what he would have seen if and when he first observed you and what he saw after he lit up his lights. No matter how trivial it seems.
Where were you when he first saw you. What lane. In what lane was he. What were the physical conditions of the road and surroundings. Write it all down. Save your pennies and give up expensive lunches. You are only accused not guilty.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:26 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

Local a local Attorney (hopefully he or she knows the circut judge) pay the fee and fine, hopefully you will get a small ticket - once I got pulled over for doing 135+ on the New Jersey Turnpike - I hired a local Attorney, In New Jersey there is also a point system which increase your insurance payment and a hefty fine - short story, the local atty got me down to 85+ and no points.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:31 PM
TurboMark
Pro

107 in a 65 is bad news. I'm not a prude but those speeds belong on a track where 100 is the minimum speed not 42 over the max.

Whether you agree or not right now, when you are in court with your 'traffic attorney,' you will be able to crack walnuts with your a$$ cheeks while you wait for the verdict....

BTW, just wait until you see what a traffic attorney looks like ... they dont feature them on L & Order or the Practice ...

Good luck
Old 10-05-2004, 02:13 AM
pjl
Intermediate

Default Details...

Where were you, at the Y? What off ramp, and what direction? At what point did you start speeding? I'm interested in as much detail as you can shell out.

Also, what court are you assigned to? Laguna Nigel or Harbor?
Old 10-05-2004, 10:02 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

you will be able to crack walnuts with your a$$ cheeks while you wait for the verdict....
Old 10-05-2004, 01:09 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by pjl
Where were you, at the Y? What off ramp, and what direction? At what point did you start speeding? I'm interested in as much detail as you can shell out.

Also, what court are you assigned to? Laguna Nigel or Harbor?
s. bound I-5, i was ticketed at avery pkwy (2-miles from my house, as chance would have it ). re-read the citation, looks like he paced me from oso to crown valley. i have to appear at laguna niguel. i learned from an attorney that the dist. DA there doesn't like to negotiate--whatever that means.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:46 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fahren affair
s. bound I-5, i was ticketed at avery pkwy (2-miles from my house, as chance would have it ). re-read the citation, looks like he paced me from oso to crown valley. i have to appear at laguna niguel. i learned from an attorney that the dist. DA there doesn't like to negotiate--whatever that means.
Unfortunately, it is very bad news that the DA doesn't like to negotiate. Typically, that is one of the easiest ways to get out of a ticket. If the DA exercises his or her discretion not to prosecute, or to prosecute for a lesser defense, you are better off than waiting until you actually proceed to a hearing.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GO TO THE TRACK!!! It is cheaper, more fun and faster.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:59 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I find it interesting that we all seem to know the rules of the road, and speed limits of the roads we travel, but whine and cry when caught violating, then spend big money supporting laywers to weasel our way out of our predicament.

GO TO THE TRACK!!!
It will temper your right foot
Old 10-06-2004, 12:12 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah MJones, i find that funny as well. i've gotten my share of tickets over the years, and ususally just write it off to scoring like this: me-a million. them-1.

i will however, fight things if the officer doesn't do things correctly. there are rules for a reason. if i get caught breaking the rules - fine. i'll take my lumps - AS LONG AS THEY FOLLOW THE RULES ON THEIR END.

the 'system' works both ways.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:49 PM
fahren affair
Pro

mjones, pls excuse my whining if that's how i came off. i've tracked cars in different clubs for the last 10-yrs and hardly need encouragment in that direction. based on the number of views this thread has gotten, i think anyone who can admit they've driven their p-car over 100 mph on public roads should take interest, cos they could be next.

i'll let you all know the outcome when this blows over. thanks!
Old 10-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I second Washington951. Well said.

Get real. So long as there is no sound basis for asserting that the behavior is threatening, forget it. These machines are DESIGNED and TESTED to perform at these speeds, are driven regularly and safely at them, and an arbitrary speed limit imposed for no other reason but to raise revenue and increase accidents is ridiculous. You could drown in a bathtub; gonna stop bathing? Speed, in and of itself is not dangerous unless it is not controlled. Gonna stop flying jets because prop planes are slower and jets have greater likelihood of greater impact if they crash due to their higher speed? The arguement that after 75 mph, ANY car is unsafe is proven incorrect every minute of every day by Smokeys all over this emotionally founded land of ours as they work their way in and out of traffic weaving back and forth all the while, in lesser machines than these. Lets all take this speed limit business to heart and petition Porsche to place a governor on the Carrerra GT that would limit it to 75 mph. Crap! Forget that! Lets all get real and petition the gubmint to institute more rigorous licensing requirements and training. No one is advocating driving 150 mph through congested city streets; but there are conditions on the streets when it is relatively safe, just as it is relatively safe on a track. And accidents will happen under both conditions. If you want assurance that you are absolutely safe, stay in the womb and pray your mother doesn't trip and fall. Arbitrarily set limits are creating more accidents and suffering and making money for the gubmint and insurance companies. Proof of that exists.

Quick Reply: got a 100+ mph speeding ticket. now what?