Sponsored by:

NSX or C2 996?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 12:54 AM
qirex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

allrighty.

I have discovered that i can get a 2002 NSX yellow/yellow for ~$65K.

I jokingly keyed in 911 on autotrade and was shocked to see tons of cabs 02,03 for the same $$$.

Its taken me 3 weeks to narrow down what i really want from a 997 to a NSX, then a 3.2 (97) nsx, now - (02) body tweak NSX.

However, I *DO* LOVE the looks of the C4S cabs. Whats a realistic cost to acquire one - precluding buying from a chevy dealer?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Mani
Track Day

DoubleNuts, are you serious?

Do girls really dig the porsche more than the NSX? I'm starting to get the feeling they do. I am so confused as to which car to buy. I figured the ostentatious looks of an NSX would be more appealing to a girl rather than the Porsche.

I haven't particularily asked too many girls on which car to get, since none of the ones I know, really know anything about cars. However, the few I did ask said, get the porsche!..I don't like the way the NSX looks....

that frightens me. I had almost given up looking for porsches, and I even negotiated prices with a few NSX dealers...and now I'm back to square one, thinking about getting a porsche again.

Can someone tell me if there is a flaw in my thinking? I think I can get an 97-99 NSX for about $42-45K, and be able to sell the same car for above 40 in a yr because these cars don't seem to depreciate much at all. At which poinnt I will be able to afford a 02/03 porsche for maybe less than that, judging by the steep depreciation the 996s have been taking.

Comments anyone?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
rhunt
Advanced

I can tell you that girls like the Porsche better than the NSX. Porsche to them = $$$$
Old 11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Mani
DoubleNuts, are you serious?

Do girls really dig the porsche more than the NSX?

My foundation opinion is that any woman that would date you for the car you drive is rather shallow. Afterall, if she's not in love with you first then "she is just a trick" (good for a night of practice...if ya know wut I mean) . Just make sure you get yours first before she come back to hump your car, becuase after that she's coming back to ask if she can borrow it for a puke night out with girls. Of course the intention there is to look hot in your ride and pick up other dudes, while you're at home grabbing your next slice of cold Dominoes pizza and glass of warm Kool-Aid!

Next, I think when women love you first and like the car you drive second, that are probably likely to understand that the 911 is a much more practical car than a NSX. The NSX will probably get there with a little bit of class and some amount of flash but I would'nt try sport'in an NSX with yer honey in it at the ski lodge (Yea, a Ski rack on top of a NSX...that's sexy).

Finally, In my humble opine, the glamour of the NSX will wear off pretty quickly and and if she loves you first your gonna need a back seat for the new puppies. So you will always have an excuse for owning one... if it were an NSX she' gonna make ya sell it for something that can carry a baby seat, like a Suburban or something .
Old 11-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Mani
Track Day

okay I think this is an interesting topic. Lets keep in mind that I am 23, just got out of a relationship a few months ago, and while I miss my ex, I'm having fun being single. I would assume that being single with an NSX or Porsche would be even better. I love the chase, but having something similar to a "cheat code" (ie seriously incredible car) makes it even better.

Guys, I'm thoroughly confused. Maybe I should stick to my camry and invest the money in mutual funds so I can be a rich guy when im 50 years old, and look back and regret not living out my 20s.

To hell with that...

In a recent study, it was found that guys with BMWs get laid a lot more than guys with porsches or Japanese cars. Could this be true? or could it just be that the target buyers variable?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:25 PM
mightytaco
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had read the same thing, but maybe BMW owners tend to be younger and feel the need to "toot their own horn" as opposed to Porsche owners who are probably out driving.

Both cars are "status symbols" to some extent, but in my experience, BMW owners tend to be a lot more "status-oriented" (i.e. buying because it is a "BMW") than Porsche owners (many of whom buy because it has the performance of a Porsche. (I realize that I'm generalizing, but then again, I am responding to a survey, which is a generalization of sorts.)

Long story short: I have found that Porsche owners are:
1) much more knowledgeable about cars, in general;
2) much more likely to appreciate a car for its performance, as opposed to its "status";
3) much more likely to tell it like it is.

Check out an M3 board against this board and you will know what I mean. For me, my decision was between the E46 M3 (with rod-bearing recall problems) and a used 996 (with RMS problems). I went the 911 route and have never looked back. I had also considered an NSX, but the price hasn't dropped significantly (likely because of its "exotic" status), but I had a feeling that if I had gotten the NSX, I might have been itching for the 911. I am happy to say that the "itch" doesn't go the other way--not to say that they aren't all great cars, but the 996 ROCKS.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:27 PM
chitownbob
Racer

[QUOTE=

In a recent study, it was found that guys with BMWs get laid a lot more than guys with porsches or Japanese cars. Could this be true? or could it just be that the target buyers variable?[/QUOTE]

Well, there are a lot more BMW's out there than P-cars!!!!

Bobby
Old 11-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Mani
Track Day

I guess you were in the same situation I am in now. My cousin has an 02 M3. He drives his car pretty hard, and that may or may not be the reason he had so many problems with the car that BMW finally bought it back, giving the car a LEMON title.

That got rid of my need for a M3.
While I can afford a 99/00 996, I'm not sure if I can afford to maintain it. The NSX will be a lot more simple to maintain. I know it seems like I'm leaning towards the NSX, but I'm hoping someone on this board can either convince me further, or rebuttle and convince me otherwise.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:19 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

what makes you feel or think that you can maintain an NSX and not a 996.
is this because you think that an NSX might not cause you a prob, and 996 will.

what happens if the NSX will brake....can you really afford that, because the term "afford" really applies when the car brakes, and IF of course......
Old 11-17-2004, 04:24 AM
harris
Burning Brakes

i am not actually trying to convince you to buy an NSX or a 996 either....

it is up to you....

I am the first one to try to convince to buy both....because as you can see i own cars from both families....porsche + honda......

make sure though you buy whichever you like and are happy to drive....because you need also to have this in mind....

in case that any of the 2 cars brakes...you shouldn't really think at that point that you should have bought the other car......
Old 11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think if you are buying either car based at all on what you think might attract women you are making a mistake. Take that factor out of the equation and just drive the heck out of both cars and buy what YOU like best. I've been through enough cars over the last few years to know that if you don't buy what you really want in the first place you will probably end up getting it eventually. Might as well go right to it and save the money and agony of getting the wrong one first.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:19 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by chitownbob
In a recent study, it was found that guys with BMWs get laid a lot more than guys with porsches or Japanese cars. Could this be true? or could it just be that the target buyers variable?
By the way, it is probably neccessary to point out that- the study to which you are referring to was done among married couples and the active frequency of their sex lives... it was not about wheather a guy (or gal) got more sex becuase they drove a particular car. Just a freindly note

But on a more important side bar, regardless of other opines on this topic- the key here is your happiness in this matter as MRpc12 said- "if you dont buy what you really want now you will probably end up getting it enventually."

However, I also standby my earlier advice- if you get something that she will ultimately find impractical, after she kicks out a few puppies, you're gonna end-up sell'n it (and I don't mean mean her). I've been through quite a few really SWEET rides (no need to brag about all of them) and a couple of train wreck marriages too (not bragging or proud about that either), in all cases SHE will have issues if the car only fits two and each time you drive it she thinks your out scope'n new booty!

Once she has got ya run down to a gold ring and baby crib in the new house, you can strap a baby seat in the back of your 911 (women love that). Then you drive down the street out her sight and toss the baby seat in the trunk, put on your set of Sonny Crockett BanRays ... then go scope'n new booty (practictice this for too long and you will wear my divorce notches... I can guarentee it).

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 11-17-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:29 PM
chitownbob
Racer

THat wasnt' my quote doublenutz. I was quoting to Mani's quote. I say NSX because they are holding their values better and are more reliable. At 23 yoru don't want to get hit with very high repair costs. Honda has a better reliability reputation than pretty much any other car out there. Although I don't have any problems, i did spring for an extended warranty, if that tells you anything.

bobby
Old 11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chitownbob
I say NSX because they are holding their values better and are more reliable. At 23 yoru don't want to get hit with very high repair costs. Honda has a better reliability reputation than pretty much any other car out there. bobby

UHHHH , I beg to differ with this statement GREATLY! Why, you ask? Becuase for the last 4 years the Porsche 996 has been ranked No.1 by JD Powers and Associates as the MOST DEPENDABLE and BEST PREMIUM SPORTS CAR.

Honda is much further down the stack by a considerable margin. When compared to all classes of other car Porsche places second only to Lexus.

Need to see it for yourself- Click here for JD Powers and Associates Ranking

The Porsche 996
2004 Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) Study Most Appealing Premium Sports Car

2004 Germany Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) Study Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Sports Cars

2004 Initial Quality Study (IQS) Gold Plant Quality Award, European

2004 Initial Quality Study (IQS) Highest Ranked Premium Sports Car in Initial Quality

2003 Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) Most Dependable Premium Sports Car

2000 Initial Quality Study 2 Best Sports Car in Initial Quality

2000 Initial Quality Study 2 Silver Plant Quality Award, Europe

Last edited by DoubleNutz; 11-17-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 PM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Default 2004 Appeal

Quick Reply: NSX or C2 996?