Sponsored by:

Air Intakes, Electric Supercharge

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:43 PM
HBacura
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasboats
HBacura, no this is an electric fan spinning 25k rpm's. There is a link above.

1999Porsche911, calm down and go pet yourself.

Yes, I do see now. I replied before scrolling down to see the link. Hmm never heard of it before. My question is to create power (horsepower) you need air and fuel. So that piece is supposed to create more air flow, but what is going to create more fuel? Then again, I guess it being such low boost you really don't need a fuel additive. don't know.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:50 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder what kind of amps this fan draws? I bet that 2 of them exceeds the 1680 amp rating of the 996's alternator. A starter in good condition will draw maybe 250 amps for a few seconds til the car starts. Running 2 of these so called "e-rams", it would be like starting your car using as many as 8 starters. Hate to see what happens to the battery when they are drawing that much current for 15 - 20 seconds. But there must be people out there that are suckered into buying them as the company is still in business.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:17 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Here's their guarentee. It's cost yo more to get the dynos and install and uninstall the fan. LOL!

Performance Guarantee:
After purchasing and (properly) installing the e-RAM on your engine, you do not feel that the performance increase is what we have claimed (4%-6% HP increase), you just need to do the following within 30 days of receiving your e-RAM to get a full refund*.. Take your car to a dyno test in your area. Make dyno runs with and without the e-RAM activated, and take a picture of how it was installed. Mail the e-RAM back to us with the picture, a copy of your receipt, and a clear copy of your dyno comparison results (signed as witnessed by the technician running the dyno). If the dyno shows the e-RAM does not increase horsepower in your engine by an average of at least 4% of its previous horsepower throughout the 3000 to 6000 rpm range, and we conclude from the picture that you have installed the unit correctly, we will give you a full refund* and even pay for 1/2 your dyno fee! (up to a maximum of $50 reimbursement) *Full refund does not include shipping charges *Please see "compatibility information" section below We challenge any other manufacturer of aftermarket bolt-on horsepower devices to make the same commitment! We know it works!
Old 01-07-2005, 02:18 PM
dallasboats
Pro

1999porsche911, the information you seek is in that website. I have no idea if it will really work. I've heard of them for a couple of years now and have seen a few of their fan units on cars. If I experiment with the electric fan, it will only be one unit. If I can pick up another 20 hp, that would be great, if not, oh well.

For those interested, my ECU has been modified along with a few other tidbits.

JIMB, stop being arrogant. I provided a link where I retrieved the manufacturer data. Go see for yourself. I then said perhaps it's wrong, I don't know. Now you come after me with something to prove acting like a jerk. I don't need your approval for anything so go abuse someone else.

It's really sad that I come here asking a question and get tackled not once, not twice, but three times by the self proclaimed experts. I had no idea that my questions would bring forward this kind of immaturity. WOW, you have really impressed me. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

OK I do not claim to know half of what most guys do, however with that being said i have talked to a few Porsche Performance shops , and everyone agrees to make more POWER it takes more MONEY..........I wish i could get 40-80 HP for a mear $ 100.00. Truth be told I have looked into Flashing the ECU , cost is around $1500.00 and i could gain 15-20 HP...keyword there being could.Our cars are tuned very well from the factory so, i would suggest talking to people who really know the car. The only suggestion i have is put the car on a diet....Less weight = FREE HP...good luck
Old 01-07-2005, 03:01 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Ever notice how these confrontational threads always get started on a friday? TGIF
I wish you could get something for nothing, you can't.
"If it's good it aint cheap and if it's cheap it ain't good!"
That's what a famous racing engine buider used to tell my brother and I when we'd come up with some new 'trick' back in our class racing days. It's so true.
The fact is these cars are very highly tuned and it's hard, not impossible, to get more than about 5-15 hp out of all the mods you listed ,combined. Remember with these hp claims it's not cumulative, they have to work in concert. Why do you think race teams spend so much time on the dyno (not BS chassis dynos either) with each new modification AND sytem wide re-adjustments?
Really, if it was that easy, everyone would be doing it.
The easiest way to go fast is lose wt, both car and driver. It used to amuse me seeing these tricked out, aluminum/magnesium everything cars with some 300# guy driving it, then wonder why they never win.
On that note, have a nice weekend, take it easy on Dallas, he's just the messenger, we've all fallen for various bogus claims in the past and learned from it, it's called experience.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:16 PM
stiles_s
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts

I've seen tests of these electric chargers -- they draw more power than they create... Cheap HP gains are few & far between these days, and virtually nonexistent on a n/a Porsche.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Webtool
Instructor

Put an AC inverter onto your batter connections and duct tape a serious leaf blower to your air intake.Try it and see what happpens. I would be very surprised if some increase in intake air density was not observed.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:52 PM
itradem
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dallas,

When you are on this board, just keep in mind that this tends to be a pretty conservative, traditional crowd. There is nothing wrong with this, but it helps to know your audience. I have been flamed in the past for asking straight-line acceleration (1/4 mile) times, so go figure.

Give it time, and continued depreciation of 996 values, and you will see the topics of conversation change over the next few years. My prior "fun" car was a 1994 Mazda Rx7 TT that I had owned from new; you'd be amazed how much the forum topics of conversation, and the audience, changed over the 9 years when prices dropped from $40k down to $10-15k. Change happens... some accept it, some get grumpy and call people young punks or not worthy of owning such a car... oh well...

I too am skeptical of the "superfan," but would be interested in understanding the current mods you are running to make your car faster... the mod bug is starting to bite at me these days...
Old 01-07-2005, 04:16 PM
dallasboats
Pro

Webtool, thanks! You are funny.

C4s Surgeon, spoken like an adult, thank you.

JIMB, your period will pass, take a pill.

1999porsche911, I'm not defending this company, I only asked if anyone had experience with the product. I see your point on the guarantee but honestly, I can afford to lose $300. It's just not that big of a deal. Don't worry, I'm not claiming my car is faster than yours so we can still be friends.

Here's the skinny on my car.
EVO claims and displays the dyno sheet on their website, intake and ECU +25 hp
No Cats, +8 hp
No Exhaust, cup style, +12 hp
Total
340 hp-345 hp estimate *.05 = +17 hp ERAM kit (if it works?)

This is where my logic came from whether is correct or not. As for the weight, I provided the link where I pulled the manufacturer data from. http://www.flat-6.net/forum/showcar....ar_model_id=27

Weight pulled from car:
no mufflers = -60 lbs
no cats = 20 lbs
no spare = 35 lbs

The car is factory GT3 aero with HR lowered springs, RS style lightweight wheels.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:29 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Remeber you can't always add each mods HP increase together. You lost alot of bottom end torque with that exhaust. You COULD use some boost and get it back.
Good luck.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:41 PM
dallasboats
Pro

itradem, thanks. My car is defined above. I sold my C4 and purchased this car not long ago. I ordered many of the parts prior to delivery of the car. The car used to belong to a San Antonio Spur. Anyways, as each part was added, nothing seemed that great unitl I changed the ECU program. Once that happened, everything woke up! The car will shoot to redline almost immediate. Throttle response is incredible by comparison. Regardless of what some believe, this car is much faster than other 911's I've encountered. I can reel 911's in very easily, much like Mustang GT's from before the modifications.

In short, all of the parts seemed to work best once the computer was adjusted. It's an amazing ride and I'd highly recommend it.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:17 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dallas,
You are right and I am wrong. I misunderstood your logic. Your car most certainly weighs 2820 lbs and has at least 340 hp. Further, I am an arrogant jerk with PMS. Not only that but I'm not very bright. It took me hundreds of hours of dismantling to get my car to 2870 lbs and $20K to stuff a 3.6L X51 into my 99 C2 just to get to 305 RWHP.

I can accept all this but, intradem, I can't accept being accused of being part of a "conservative, traditional crowd." Now those are fightin words.

Look, I'm way too old to care about your petty little comments and frankly I really don't care what you do with your car. It's your money.

Have a good weekend.
Jim
Old 01-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

interesting on the weight thing..... my 99 c2s manual states 2909 lbs (min weight)
Old 01-07-2005, 05:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys, guys, this ain't worth it.
Peace.
I think we've all made our points.
FWIW I don't think p-cars will ever depreciate/deteriorate down to the ricer level.
Just for the record, I'm a 'radical coservative' according to my patients.
Jim, you have a wealth of knowledge that you bring to the table, I can tell from your posts. I also come from a serious racing background and can smell BS a mile away!
Have a nice weekend all!

Quick Reply: Air Intakes, Electric Supercharge