Trunk lid opening

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 05:41 PM
walks357
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk lid opening

My trunk lid has suddenly started to open when I use the remote to unlock the car door. The trunk lid opens as normal with the trunk release remote button but it is also opening when I press on the door release button. I also noticed today that the trunk popped open as I came to a stop in my driveway, put the car in first gear and pulled up on the emergency brake, I had not touched the key. Strange... The 'trunk lid open' indicator never comes on in the dash. I tried disconnecting the battery but the same issue returned. Anyone have any suggestions or magic reset sequences?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:48 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

I'm betting the opening as you come to a stop happens at that moment when the car settles backwards that tiny little bit as you lose all momentum, right? How would I know this?

Here's the magic fix: Vacuum out the trunk/engine hatch buttons located on the floor by the driver's door sill. This problem is caused by small specks of sand/dirt getting into them. I had this problem several times. The first time, the dealer replaced the security control unit and the problem went away. Simple, right? Nope, the problem came back in a few thousand miles, and there were some other weird behaviors (like your remote problem, I had the same thing). Replacing the unit wasn't what fixed the problem, it was the vacuuming they gave the car before returning it! This was a bad design by Porsche to put those buttons right where your feet pass over them every time you get in and out of the car. Every time I had issues after that, I'd just blow on the buttons really hard to clean out the junk and it would fix the problem. I didn't even need to vacuum them, just blowing on them got enough crap out to fix the problem temporarily.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Koenig999
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm - Perhaps the scuffed trunk release manual levers aren't so bad after all!

Koenig
Old 01-08-2005, 07:38 PM
walks357
Addict
Rennlist Member

teflon_jones, you may have hit on it. Before seeing your message, I played a bit with the release buttton on the floor (gave a couple hard jabs) and so far, the trunk lid has stayed closed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed (but still not understanding why the trunk would release everytime I unlocked the door...). Oh well, I just discovered another problem..time for another post.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Ancient thread that I'm reviving.
Just had the same problem and I thought I was going nuts. Did the battery thing, the remotes reboot thing, etc...Then I found this old thread, got the vacuum cleaner and problem fixed.
BTW:My car was spotless inside and out so it takes very, very, little dirt in those switches to make you think you're crazy.
Thanks!...I love this place!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM
rolark
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I was having the most bizzare electical problem today. Used the door lock remote... hood opened... used the key to open the door... hood opened... driving down the road... hood opened. A couple grains of dirt were keeping the interior hood button from fully returning to its proper place.

Tim

Quick Reply: Trunk lid opening