Sponsored by:

Cars sold through Auction

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 04:02 PM
madhatter721
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cars sold through Auction

I found an 02 Cab that I am interested in purchasing from a dealer. I checked CARFax, it has had one owner, not leased but was sold though an auction.

Should I have any concern about cars sold through auction? What condition would cause a private sellor to get his car into an acution sale?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:05 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be anything from a bank repossession to the DEA seizing the car in a drug bust to the car not selling at the dealer lot so it went to auction. You can't really tell.

But if the car is Porsche Certified and has a warranty then you should consider it especially if the price is right.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Curt911
Pro

many reasons why it may have been run through the auction, some good, some bad, as always it's up to you to verify the condition and history. CARFAX does not always have up to date info, I would not rely just on it (I look at CARFAX and other reports to show something bad, if they don't then I still assume there might be problems, but when it does it is nice to rule it out quickly).

Is it a Porsche Dealer or independent? does the car have all the books and records? Do a PPI!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:36 PM
madhatter721
8th Gear

It is an independent dealer....the car looks exceptionally clean and is fairly priced. Also has 5 months of warranty left. The auction thing scares me though!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:42 PM
munro86
Racer

I purchased mine through an auction.Before I bid, I inquired and found out it had been repossesed.There was nothing of any great concern with the car (it had a flat battery) and I saved money buying this way,but of course, as others have said ,you have to be careful here.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:56 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by madhatter721
It is an independent dealer....the car looks exceptionally clean and is fairly priced. Also has 5 months of warranty left. The auction thing scares me though!
Do you know what auction it sold at? An individual cannot sell at dealer only auctions, I would bet he traded it or its a lease turn in, it could still show one owner on the CARFAX then "sold at auction" even though it was not the original owner that sold it...

I would not be scared just because it was sent through an auction, many dealers take their trades there no matter what, some bring their cars there because they bring more than retail (sometimes). If the car sold under green light (if you can find out) then it was prob not a frame damage or other bad thing.

The most important thing for you to do is have it checked out at a shop you choose (PPI) then take it from there based on how that turns out.

Does it have any books/records? these do get lost at auctions sometimes. Will the dealer tell you who they bought it from? If it was a bank it could have been a lease turn-in or a repo (even though CARFAX did not show the lease), which might be a problem if the previos owner neglected it, PPI will show that though. Is there any paintwork/body repair? Do they have all the original keys? If it all checks out and is a good price there is no reason not to buy it!
Old 03-02-2005, 05:39 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Madhatter,

I wouldn't assume it's either a negative or a positive that the car was sold at auction. As was said earlier, cars find their way to auction sales through all sorts of channels. For example, it's common for the leasing companies to sell cars at auction that have just come off lease. Another common channel is the Chevrolet dealer, for example, that takes a car in trade (like a Porsche), trys to sell it on his lot, and after a few weeks just gives up and sends it to auction. That doesn't necessarily mean it not a good car. It's done all the time. Not a lot of Porsche buyers go Chevy dealers looking for cars. Or the Chevy salesman may know very little about the Porsche he's trying his best to sell, etc. etc. etc. On the other hand, there are times when a dealer will send a car to auction ... just to get rid of it. Maybe a high mileage car ... a car with some type of questionable history ... or a car that for whatever reason he just doesn't want on his lot anymore.

I'd agree that you should have a reputable/knowledgeable shop perform a PPI for you. Good luck. Oh yeah, and be sure to join Rennlist.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Curt911
Pro

many dealers have a floor plan on their inventory, if it gets near the end (usually 30 to 45 days) they will take it to the auction to get rid of it before they have to pay for it...
Old 03-02-2005, 06:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I would hesitate to rely on Carfax for anything, one of the factors in the recent lawsuit against them was their failure to include accident data in their database from 23 states.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:13 PM
turbo951fan
Racer

Many high end cars are sold through auction. Dealers either keep it in their inventory and sell it retail or at an auction (dealer auction) and sell it wholesale. It's just business. In order to sell retail you need a retail/leasing staff/operation which is quite expensive and they can only sell so much.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:49 AM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Wouldn't touch an auction car (especially a late model Porsche) with a 10 foot pole. Ask me how I know
Old 03-03-2005, 04:39 AM
munro86
Racer

How do you know Don?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:45 AM
pjl
Intermediate

Default I had the exact same situation...

Carfax said the car I was interested in had at one point been sold at an auction. (Same type of car too - high mileage '02.) The car was bought at that auction by a Porsche dealer (Walters), and then sold off their lot.

The car was now being sold by a non-porsche dealer who obtained it from the owner who bought it from Walters. Not conditions to give you the warm fuzzies! However, the car still had 9K miles on its original factory warranty. After test driving it and having another Porsche dealer say it looked in good condition, I pulled the trigger.

10 months and 8K miles later, the car has driven like a dream.

My "gamble" has saved me almost 10K in purchase/ownership costs to date. Just another data point for you...
Old 03-03-2005, 07:56 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

I think you should be very cautious about the purchase, but it shouldn't stop you from buying if you have a PPI and it turns out fine. My local Porsche dealer sends all of the used Porsches that he doesn't sell within two months to an auction. So there are some great buys at auctions if you know what you are doing.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:46 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Don and all, I was the same way about auction cars until I went to the auctions. The largest "highline" auction is in Framingham Mass, at the Adesa facility. I was absolutely blown away. These guys are not just glorified used car salesman, most factories have reps to handle the sale of their cars and to buy any good ones. They actually have specific days when they sell the high-end cars. While I was there, they auctioned off a MB G55 AMG with 15 miles on the odometer. Apparently the car had been titled before the dealer finished the financing... Anyway, I don't remember too many P-cars, but you can go to adesa's web site and download the auction list. The point being that this is not a dumping ground for dealers dirty and unwanted junk. Like Curt911 said, most dealers have roughly 30 days of "interest free" financing for used cars before they have to pay for holding the car on a lot. Depending on the model, they may hold or send it to an auction. Many times, the cars are sold by dealers that don't have a use for a specific car like a 911 that was traded in at a Honda dealer.

I would have no problem buying an auction car. I would be nervous buying a car AT an auction that I couldn't do the "background" work on or at the very least, have a Porsche mechanic take a look at first. This however is a non issue if you dont have someone who can get into the auction for you.

Quick Reply: Cars sold through Auction