Sponsored by:

OT-I found my new car LOTUS ELISE

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 09:39 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up OT-I found my new car LOTUS ELISE

Went for a ride in one last night at prolly 8-9/10 of its abilities---AWESOME AWESOME!!!! Handling was sick, braking was sick -- Second gear screaming at 8k behind your ears intoxicating--Couldnt take the smile off my face--Downside look is exotic, crash protection is a ticket to heaven--but hey its one hell of a car for $40k -wow!!!!

Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 09:41 AM
Chads996
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I rode in one a neighbor's bud had. Very impressive car. You are right on about the sounds. Intoxicating!!! Great little car for those of you that are short to average in stature. Us tall guys are very snug. I coule only ride. I did not fit behind the wheel.

Chad
Old 04-20-2005, 10:24 AM
Ekename
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is an awesome car. I almost bought on instead of my Porsche but decided for the p-car instead. The lotus just wasn't practical enough if I needed to use it on a daily basis.

Chad is right about it only being for short to average guys. I'm only 5'9" and I thought is was pretty snug and you just about had to be a Chinese acrobat to get in and out
Old 04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
rhunt
Advanced

I am looking at one at Criswell Lotus in Maryland tomorrow. They are not $40k, more like $52k. I am 5'9" and 220lbs, (weightlifter) I will let you know how I fit in it. I am sure it will be tight, but I want to make sure as I want one really bad.

Rob
Old 04-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Ekename
Pro

I think the price can vary quite a bit on these from region to region but I've seen 'em selling down south for low to mid 40s. I've yet to see one on the road. Contrast that to London where it seems like every 5th car is a boxster or an elise.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:23 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

My neighbor has one... HOLY CRAP!
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I can't help but smile .

I went through a tortuous on again- off again love affair with the Elise. Great car, excellent fun car. It's a street legal go-kart, literally. Put down a deposit last October for one: Storm Titanium, Touring Pack, Sport Pack, Hardtop, June delivery. Firmly convinced I made the right choice for a weekend fun car and track car, I eagerly read anything and everything about the car as I waited. January came around, and the new Boxsters started to show up. Test drove an S. Surprised at how much improved they were, I stumbled a bit about the Elise choice. Then Lotus started jacking the MSRP up. I went and test drove the Elise again, then came back to test drive the Boxster S again as well. As an all-around sports car, the Boxster S wins hands down. But as a track and weekend car, it was too close to call. Sat down and made tables on plusses and minuses. The new Boxster S actually outperforms the Elise on the track. Boxster S wins, again. But, man, I was still in love with the Elise, so I held on to my order. The devil of a Porsche salesman then calls me up, and gives me a great deal on the Boxster S, plus early delivery on a special order made to my specs. I finally give in to reason. The Boxster Swill be in my hands next week.

You have to lust after the Elise, and not think about it to buy it. If you think about it too much, it loses out to other cars in the same price range. If they kept it at the original idea to have it as a sub $40K sports car, I would have bought it.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 PM
RLandis
Racer

The auto dealer where I got my '03 C4S is becoming a Lotus dealer, in fact they may be the largest Lotus dealer.....Hunting Ridge Motors, in Port Chester, NY., literally on the Connecticut border, just a few blocks from Greenwich, Conn.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:18 PM
grizzy
Instructor

Yeah I just checked their website--HRM
Palting -- I agree its a spur of the moment decision---you just gotta do it blind!!!! I havent driven the boxster S yet--maybe i should---my car addiction is too great -- I want something new each year.

Mike
Old 04-20-2005, 11:05 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by Palting

You have to lust after the Elise, and not think about it to buy it. If you think about it too much, it loses out to other cars in the same price range. If they kept it at the original idea to have it as a sub $40K sports car, I would have bought it.
You couldn't have typed more accurate words. My story exactly after waiting a year for the car, two test drives, and a Pcar instead lands in my driveway. But already on my second 996 since then, and about to migrate to a third. I'm as fickle as a gurl.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:12 PM
houldsworth1
Racer

Mike,

Is this to replace the 911 or as well as?

Barry
Old 04-21-2005, 10:38 AM
grizzy
Instructor

Well coming from my mini S --the Lotus is also a zero torque car its a wind up mobile-- who knows I have promised myself my next car has to be a shelby cobra replica-- I just want loud open side pipes and 400/400 hp/ftlbs and to wear my leather goggles!!!!
Mike
If only I lived in a trailer and had a warehouse full of cars.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Judson
AutoX

Originally Posted by grizzy
Went for a ride in one last night at prolly 8-9/10 of its abilities---AWESOME AWESOME!!!!
Mike, I feel your excitement. I am pondering the same decision right now, albeit from a 993. You may want to check out my thread under the 993 board...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/198853-993-vs-lotus-elise.html

For $40k, it would be an easy decision for me. However, with the price increases that the Elise has had over the past year, the one I am looking at prices out to be $51k (Touring pkg, Sport pkg, Starshield, and Lifestyle paint) which makes it a tougher decision. If you are willing to get a stripped version, I have seen used ones with 2000 miles or less for low 40's.

Keep us posted!

Judson
Old 04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Moogle
Race Car

great little toy car if you can fit inside it.

Quick Reply: OT-I found my new car LOTUS ELISE