Sponsored by:

OT The price of the Z06 was just released

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Where does the "quality" factor get impacted by RMS leaks?
65K is an excellent value. When I bought my 02X50, the ZO6 was a close loser. This was based on a somewhat cramped (for me) interior, that was too Generic Cavalier, and performance that was excellent but not exhilarating. The C6 interior is much improved (but still less appealing than Porsche), and the new ZO6 engineering and power seem to be worlds ahead. This time, I'd make the opposite decision. For the price of a tt, one could get a ZO6 plus a one year old 996 etc. AS
Quality consists of the aspects that can't always be objectively measured. It's the reason we don't all drive stripped 2 liter turbo sedans from Japan (or whatever meets the performance measurements that are important to you).

If the new Z06 is such "an excellent value" in your eyes, go trade your TT for one. Drive it like an enthusiast would for a few years and get back to us on its "quality".

Are P-cars or Vettes (or anything else for that matter) flawless? Absolutely not.

I sold my old 996 to a Vette owner who couldn't wait to make the switch and is still thrilled he did. But what does he know?
Old 06-13-2005, 10:07 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best thing that ever happened to a British car is when Carroll Shelby put a FORD 427 side oiler in one. Instant transformation from POS to one of, if not the most awesome sports car ever built.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:19 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although the Z06 is a sexy car at a great value, It's no 911. It can't be and never will be. The driving experience of my car makes it the best street going race car on the market. The standard C6 is a brute. My friend has one and sure, it will blow the tires off the rims....But to quote a fellow Rennlister IT"S A CHEVY! plastic fantastic and rattles and poor quality. Even when Porsche f%$s up it's a quality F%$k up like RMS. My 911...I think I'll keep her
Old 06-14-2005, 01:20 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

WILMINGTON, Delaware (AP) -- General Motors Corp. plans to close plants and eliminate 25,000 manufacturing jobs in the United States by 2008 in an attempt to restore profitability at the world's largest automaker, its chairman said Tuesday as he fended off calls for his resignation.

Chairman and Chief Executive Rick Wagoner told shareholders at GM's 97th annual meeting in Delaware that the capacity and job cuts should generate annual savings of roughly $2.5 billion.

About one out of six jobs in the United States will be eliminated.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:11 PM
rhunt
Advanced

I am considering going the other way and trading my 996 for a C6 Z06. Build quality to me has gone down in the Porsche. RMS for 6 years now and still not addressing the problem, airbag lights that cost $900 to fix, I have had to have my top recalibrated 3 times in the 1 year that I have owned it. My 964 was rock solid, but the 996 has been a bit disappointing to me. People can say whatever they want about the Porsche badge. I have owned over 10 Porsches and have never had the problems of the 996. Just my .02 Maybe I will go back to a 993 turbo, who knows, I am just venting about the problems with my car.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:25 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY way GM competes is on price! Let's face it guys.

No one would buy the Z06 if it was priced like a Porsche or Ferrari - that's the reason they priced it the way it is.

I think GM would have finally reached the pinnicale if it could actually price the car at $150K AND have people buy them.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:32 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RR
The ONLY way GM competes is on price! Let's face it guys.

No one would buy the Z06 if it was priced like a Porsche or Ferrari - that's the reason they priced it the way it is.

I think GM would have finally reached the pinnicale if it could actually price the car at $150K AND have people buy them.
Personally, I wouldn't pay 50 cents more for a Porsche badge than a Chevy one. I don't give a $hit about impressing people because I drive a Porsche. What's important to me is the performance. And like it or not, with each generation Chevy gives Porsche a much better run for it's money. The Z06 is now almost identical in length to a Carrera, offers more horsepower, a true dry sump engine (instead of the pseudo-dry sump foisted on us by Porsche cost cutting),and will out run the 997 in a straight line and on a road course. There's one thing that keeps me with Porsche and that's the phenomenal road feel and steering feedback that Porsche offers. Chevy can't match that. But the margin between the two is pretty damn thin, considering the dollar differences.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caf
Personally, I wouldn't pay 50 cents more for a Porsche badge than a Chevy one. I don't give a $hit about impressing people because I drive a Porsche. What's important to me is the performance. And like it or not, with each generation Chevy gives Porsche a much better run for it's money. The Z06 is now almost identical in length to a Carrera, offers more horsepower, a true dry sump engine (instead of the pseudo-dry sump foisted on us by Porsche cost cutting),and will out run the 997 in a straight line and on a road course. There's one thing that keeps me with Porsche and that's the phenomenal road feel and steering feedback that Porsche offers. Chevy can't match that. But the margin between the two is pretty damn thin, considering the dollar differences.
Apart from adding a few more details relating to durability that I think Porsche still does better, I couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:50 PM
RLandis
Racer

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
to put it in context, I moved here from europe and I am appalled at the difference in quality between domestic 'USA' cars and domestic 'UK' cars

Really? Try driving a Jaguar!!!!
Old 06-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Eli K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by caf
The Z06 is now almost identical in length to a Carrera
It's actually a couple of inches shorter than the 997...
Old 06-14-2005, 07:51 PM
996Pilot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rhunt
I have had to have my top recalibrated 3 times in the 1 year that I have owned it.
I don't want to change the topic but what is "recalibrating the top"? I'm just a curious relatively new owner of a '99 C2 Cab. I've had my top apart a couple of times to see how it works (and find out why the dash light stays on sometimes) and it's an engineering marvel (or Rube Goldberg - depending on how you look at it). BTW - dash light was a sticky microswitch - a little silicone spray and viola!
Old 06-15-2005, 12:48 AM
TitanL9
Pro

My buddy has two Vettes. Both very fast with lots of chrome and goodies But, when I feel the plastic surface, listen to it on the road, look at the interior...all I see is a GM's answer to a fast convertible car. There's simply no comparison to my 03 996

What I would really like to see is how many vette owners would buy a vette over a 996, if price wasn't an issue. I know my buddy would rather have two cars for the price of one PCar. I, on the other hand prefer quality and performance over multiples. As I would prefer one great bottle of red wine verses many bottles of table vino.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 AM
clum553946
Advanced

I wonder how much a Corvette is with the GM "employee discount" promo they have running?
Old 06-15-2005, 06:59 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by clum553946
I wonder how much a Corvette is with the GM "employee discount" promo they have running?
The GM employee discount unfortunately doesn't apply to vettes.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:37 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TitanL9
My buddy has two Vettes. Both very fast with lots of chrome and goodies But, when I feel the plastic surface, listen to it on the road, look at the interior...all I see is a GM's answer to a fast convertible car. There's simply no comparison to my 03 996

What I would really like to see is how many vette owners would buy a vette over a 996, if price wasn't an issue. I know my buddy would rather have two cars for the price of one PCar. I, on the other hand prefer quality and performance over multiples. As I would prefer one great bottle of red wine verses many bottles of table vino.
If you could buy a decently equipped 997 for $50K, I doubt that GM would sell many vettes. Maybe some would prefer the styling of the vette over the 997, so there could be a few sales but not many IMO.

But back to the real world. For the price of a stripped 997 you will be able to buy a C6 Z06 which based on preliminary reports is a street legal race car. The over 500 lb/ft of torque produced by the Z06's 7 liter engine will be awesome. I use to own an 8 liter vette with around 450 lb/ft of torque, and that car would eat up anything on the road from a roll. Of course unless you were running slicks, it was tough getting all that power to the road from a dead stop.

I'm not certain how you are measuring performance, but I wouldn't tangle with a C6 Z06 if you are driving your 996. BTW I'm not sure if you have driven a C6 but its interior is vastly improved over the C5, although it's still not up to the standard of a 996 or 997.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that the 996 is a highly refined sports car with outstanding performance, and for those who prefer refinement over brute power, it's hard to beat a 996.

Quick Reply: OT The price of the Z06 was just released