Sponsored by:

OT: Boycott of Michelin?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 10:55 AM
STRSHP
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Boycott of Michelin?

So, anyone up for some good ol' rabble rousin"? After watching, no that is not accurate, after turning off the F1 race, I began to wonder why Michelin couldn't have figured their problem BEFORE the race. Seems like their engineers are not up to the task at times. So with so many good tires out there to choose from, I propose a boycott of Michelin by those of us who care about racing. (And maybe this was really about Ferrari and just a little bit about GPWC)

Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Ekename
Pro

Well, although I think Michelin should have provided a tire that was safe for the race I think they and the teams made the right call. If there was no safe way for them to compete then they must bow out. This is no different than if you were to show up a DE with bad brakes or broken suspension components.

I think the FIA should have allowed the placement of a chicane even if this meant that world championship status was yanked from the race. All the teams, save Ferrari, agreed to this measure. Auto Racing is an entertainment and they certainly failed to put on a decent show.

One thing I'm sure we all agree on is that is was a dark day for F1.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:06 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 538 Posts

I'm a big F1 fan and couldn't believe what I was watching- almost surreal. Was out waxing the GT3 after the race, almost embarassed to look at the Pilot Sports! Michelin screwed up big time- why should the rules be changed because they screwed up? If it were the other way around, think Bridgestone would get any "help"? They'd tell Ferrari to go screw itself.
What a BIG mess. Sure glad I didn't go this year! Heads must be rolling over at Michelin this morning...
(Does make the new break away series look a little more promising doesn't it?)
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
snaproll
Instructor

When my Pirellis wear out I'm putting on Michelins.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by snaproll
When my Pirellis wear out I'm putting on Michelins.

when my continentals wear out I'm putting on Bridgestone S02's

I went to the race and my level of annoyance is difficult to comprehend

Michelin ****ed up, the chicane idea was bull**** - why should they change the rules to favour one side?

all they needed to do was tell the drivers to drive slower round the bend - if the drivers ignored this then thats their problem

OK they may not have beat the ferarris but i'm positive they would still have beaten the jordans/minardis

Michelin should pay for the refunds for the spectators. I only drove from nashville, but if I had travelled from the UK as I did on the inaugural GP here then I would have been livid
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM
STRSHP
Racer

Stirring the pot some more. Listening to the talking heads, I believe I heard that only two teams showed for the Indy tire test, the other teams were at Silverstone. So no feedback from those that were going to run. Since there were reports of other racing types having difficulty with the new track surface, seems the folks from France should have gotten the word. If F1 is the greatest show in racing, then how did the IRL race the entire month of May with no controversy? So, the bottom line for me is Michelin did not do their homework, looked for a punt from FIA and didn't get it so they took their toys and went home. Unacceptable in big time racing. You come prepared to race no matter what. Oh and don't get me started on Schuey.

So when my Yoko's wear out, no Michelins for me.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was at the "race" (aka F1 test session)...it was surreal.

Michelin dropped the ball. I am torn on what the solution should have been. It is completely unfair to penalize the Bridgestone runners because of the Michelin **** up but I agree the show/entertainment value sucked. The problem is the 14 of 20 cars were on Michelins....if the tables and been reversed it wouldn't have been that big of news. Everyone would have written off as Ferrari continuing to struggle and no one would have cared. I can see the article now.....Kimi closed the gap on Championship leading Alonso with a dominating win at the USGP on Sunday, after the poll sitting Toyota had to stop for fuel on lap 2. Defending world champions, Ferrari, continued their struggles as they were forced to withdrawal from the race with unsafe tires. Alonso.....

The solution should have been something like what Coultard suggested....Giving all the points to the Bridgestone teams, then putting a chicane up and running the race for the entertainment value.

I was really disappointed because I thought it was going to be a great race with the Ferrari finally being competitive and having a chance to challenge for the win. It will be interesting to see if the FIA penalizes the Michelin teams further. Mosley indicated Michelin was in violation of the same provision as BAR was earlier this year and look at the penalty they got.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:15 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

I drove from NYC, and was not a very happy camper. I won't go looking for a refund, buts its definitely left a bad taste in my mouth for F1. Thank god for the Porsche Supercup race. If I was an F1 team on the Michelins, I would have dropped Michelin, with cause, and gone to Goodyear. (Is that even possible?)

Ultimately, I think they should just stick to a standard tire manufacturer, where everyone gets the same thing, regardless.

What I think is amusing to think about is, what would have happened if they pulled this in Imola? France, or even worse, Brazil! People have expressed disappointment in the American fans for throwing debris on the track. While I don't condone such actions, I think F1 got away pretty easily. Just think what would have happened in Spain, if after the warm-up lap, all those fans waiting to see Alonso shoot by, only got to see a flash of Red and yellow... F1 screwed the crowd it could most afford to screw....
Old 06-20-2005, 12:26 PM
UberXY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I accidentally tuned into the F1 race after thoroughly enjoying about 8 hours of le Mans coverage. It was a pretty odd situation. No biggie to me, though, because I race on Hoosiers. Plus I would only go to F1 Indy if it was completely comped, while I would pay big bucks for a le Mans total access pass.

I suspect the decision at Michelin was made by lawyers, and not by technical people, and certainly not by marketing people. More than anything, I would love to hear a transcipt of Tony Georges comments. Or this mornings "conversation" between Tony, Bernie, and FIA.

Qualifier: I have only been to 2 F1 races, at Silverstone and Brands Hatch, when Andretti and Lotus were kicking *ss. Almost 30 years ago.

Ub

PS: I hope Tony says screw F1, and instead next year we get the first Annual 24 Hours of Indianapolis with a field of 50 ALMS cars.

Last edited by UberXY; 06-20-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yetis
F1 screwed the crowd it could most afford to screw....
I am not sure that is true. While the fan outrage may have been more dramatic at another venue, it more than likely would have been short term as F1 fans in other parts of the world are more knowledgeable of the political BS that makes up F1 racing.

On the other hand, the US fan base is what F1 desperately needs. The market is completely untapped, where the average motorsports fan in the US doesn’t know much about F1 or understand it. The percentage of US motorsports fans that follow F1 is very small compared to the rest of the world. F1 needs a much bigger fan base in the US because it will allow F1 to attract more sponsors and the truth is it is all about the $$$$. This type of debacle will only help to destroy F1’s perception in the US motorsports fan’s view that is sort of interested in F1. The damage it has cost will be difficult to access and will be more long term than short term. However IMHO it will have any long term effect on the hardcore F1 fans that already exist.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:43 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

It won't happen but all you guys who attended the race should have your money refunded. The promoters of the Indy F1 race promised that in consideration for the price of your ticket, you would be allowed to watch a F1 race. Since there was no race, they failed to deliver on their promise. This is comparable to going to see a NY play and having only 20% of the actors appear on stage.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:48 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Bet: I see where you are coming from, but there are other sports that thrive and prosper, without a huge US involvement, most notably football (soccer). I guess with the addition of China to the ranks of F1 venues and India also making some noise, I wonder if the US is really needed. Do they really need to add more races, or are there enough locations that one can start dropping the less desirable locations. The truth is that F1 has been back in the USA for a couple of years, and it hasn't really had a major resurgence. Without a US driver, it is very difficult to see US interest grow to the level that Brazil, Italy or Germany have in sport. While Ferrari flags aside, the amount of nationalism at an F1 racing is truly refreshing. I know Redbull has a guy all set, but it might be too little, too late.

I have only been to two F1 events in my life, the US and Montreal. I know I will never go back to the US Grand Prix.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by fast1
It won't happen but all you guys who attended the race should have your money refunded. The promoters of the Indy F1 race promised that in consideration for the price of your ticket, you would be allowed to watch a F1 race. Since there was no race, they failed to deliver on their promise. This is comparable to going to see a NY play and having only 20% of the actors appear on stage.
Being honest - only one guy turned up - M Schumacher

minardis won;t win

neither will jordan

and ferrari has team orders

I will dispute the charge with AMEX unless my tickets are refunded
Old 06-20-2005, 01:18 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Originally Posted by yetis
I have only been to two F1 events in my life, the US and Montreal. I know I will never go back to the US Grand Prix.
Montreal will be next year for me
Old 06-20-2005, 01:36 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-Car fanatic
Montreal will be next year for me
Just curious why you would go to Montreal, but not Indy. I'm not a Tony George fan because of the champcar/IRL thing, but he's totally blameless. The people who were at fault here, the FIA and Michelin, will be the same people at Montreal, and every other F1 race.

If anything, Tony George probably deserves the ultimate in support for the US Grand Prix, if he chooses to run it in the future. He invested a HUGE amount of money out of his own pocket to bring F1 back to the U.S., despite the fact that the deal gave him almost nothing other than concession revenue. That investment is looking extremely shaky right now, and he had virtually no voice in what went on over the weekend.

Quick Reply: OT: Boycott of Michelin?