OT - Kiawah Ocean Course kicked some A$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default OT - Kiawah Ocean Course kicked some A$$

Yeah, the Kiawah Island (just outside of Charleston, SC) Ocean Course kicked some A$$ again... MINE!

As usual, it was very windy on the Pete Dye masterpiece! The course plays about 8 strokes harder than most top courses. I play to a 4.8 handicap and shot 84. I have played it 4 times now and still haven't broken 80. But not ready to give up… going back at the end of the month and will try again. Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment!

Also saw a nice 996 red cab at the Sanctuary. We took my wife's MB CLK, because I’m already running above my lease mileage rate, but my wife is 5,000 under her lease mileage after one year.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:08 AM
StanSoph
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot you were on Holiday. Do you still have all your clubs? I have yet to play the Ocean Course, some day soon. Maybe I could come out and we could go to Pinehurst and the O.Club. The wives could enjoy the spas. Wecould talk cars , golf, cars, golf and whatever else we would like. I am playing to about a 1.0 now my card is a +1.7. Too much work and not enough golf. I know we would hit it off ; the wives on the other hand. Glad you are back, now let's see some pics.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:55 AM
evo_333
Three Wheelin'

how much were the green fees?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:29 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by evo_333
how much were the green fees?
Summer rate, which is on the lower end of the seasonally adjusted scale because of the heat, is $185.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:37 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by StanSoph
I forgot you were on Holiday. Do you still have all your clubs? I have yet to play the Ocean Course, some day soon. Maybe I could come out and we could go to Pinehurst and the O.Club. The wives could enjoy the spas. Wecould talk cars , golf, cars, golf and whatever else we would like. I am playing to about a 1.0 now my card is a +1.7. Too much work and not enough golf. I know we would hit it off ; the wives on the other hand. Glad you are back, now let's see some pics.
John - Yes, I still have all of my clubs. +1.7 that's really strong... out of my league. Pinehurst and the Ocean course would be fun. I have yet to play Pinehurst. I didn't take pics while we were down there. Sorry, but I normally don't try to imitate a Japanese tourist by carrying a camera with me everywhere I go!
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 AM
Rasta
Racer

Geez - you guys are nuts. I'm highly envious of your unbelievably low handi's. Started two summers ago and am playing to the high-20's. Promise to break 20 by the end of this year. I'm not losing the faith boys!!!! -
Old 07-13-2005, 08:41 PM
mtb968
Instructor

I hear that Rasta. I started to play the "old person sport" about 2 years ago and have mid-high 20s myself. I just can't seem to find the time lately to make an honest effort at getting better.

Pinehurst #2 is on my short list once I break below 20 HC.

Gotta911 - ever play any local (NC) Strantz courses? I absolutely love Tobacco Road and have recently played Tott Hill a few times. Tobacco Road, while being one of the hardest courses seems to bring out my best scores - kinda like the worlds biggest minature golf course (just needs a clown and circus music).

Have fun!
Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Lizard1
Racer

i cannot stand dye's course designs...you can smack a seemingly perfect drive only to find yourself on a nasty sideways or downhill drive

i always leave a dye course frustrated
Old 07-13-2005, 11:59 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mtb968
I hear that Rasta. I started to play the "old person sport" about 2 years ago and have mid-high 20s myself. I just can't seem to find the time lately to make an honest effort at getting better.

Pinehurst #2 is on my short list once I break below 20 HC.

Gotta911 - ever play any local (NC) Strantz courses? I absolutely love Tobacco Road and have recently played Tott Hill a few times. Tobacco Road, while being one of the hardest courses seems to bring out my best scores - kinda like the worlds biggest minature golf course (just needs a clown and circus music).

Have fun!
The only Strantz course I have played is Caledonia in Pawley's Island south of Myrtle Beach. I liked the course. Have heard a lot of either "love it".. or hate it" comments about Tobacco Road & Tott Hill. Have not played either one. I would like to plan Tott Hill sometime. It's only about 1 hour away from the house and I would probably enjoy the change.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:58 AM
pjl
Intermediate

Default Did you play any other courses...

on the island? I was just there and got to play every course except the Ocean course. They had the club professionals tournament going that week. My favorite course was Osprey. Saw plenty of gators.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:45 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pjl
on the island? I was just there and got to play every course except the Ocean course. They had the club professionals tournament going that week. My favorite course was Osprey. Saw plenty of gators.
No, I didn't play any of the other courses. We were only there for two days, and it looked like it was going to rain on Saturday afternoon when we arrived so I decided not to play. So we drive back out to the new Fairfields Shopping center to kill some time while we waited for our Villa to be cleaned. Of course, it did not rain at all, so I was pi$$ed off at myself for not playing golf.

I have only played one other course there, and that was two years ago. It was the one nearest the registration area just inside the entrance gate to Kiawah, I can't remember if that is Cougar or Turtle. It was OK, but I remember that the greens were slow, and for $40 more, I could play the Ocean Course.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:18 PM
pjl
Intermediate

Default Yeah, Cougar point...

the other courses are nice, but at least one step below the experience and difficulty of the Ocean course. They are good interludes for working on your game and getting your confidence back up to play the Ocean course (assuming you're there to play numerous times during your stay).
Old 07-14-2005, 08:36 PM
penguinking
Burning Brakes

i played the ocean course several years ago, and was frustrated with the intense winds and big bushes that seem to suck up golf ***** like a vacuum. i shot mid 90's lol but i'm not that good a golfer either. definetly one of the nicest courses i've played at.

Quick Reply: OT - Kiawah Ocean Course kicked some A$$