Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

168mph
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Mercedesben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche speedos are definitely off at higher speeds.
I have had 175 indicated in my 993, but the fact claims 171,
I would have benefited from the passanger looking at a gps.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:53 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 10-24-2005, 04:59 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Typically, I think smooth and slow are preferable . . . .

I have hit 135-140 at the back straight of VIR and right before the bus stop at WGI. No room to go faster. Until I installed the factory carrera rear wing and front lip, my car "danced" at those speeds, despite the fact that my car had been lowered with PSS9s. I don't see how any of you guys can stand the feeling of the car above 140 unless you have aerokits. It does not inspire confidence IMHO. One gust of wind, deer, squirrel, etc . . and it would not be pretty. The car feels much more stable with the factor aero . . .
Old 10-24-2005, 07:46 PM
RJMDAD996
Burning Brakes

170+ MPH - I love early Sunday Drives :-) Be Safe Gents....
Old 10-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

255km/h here....i just keep runing out of room grrrr
Old 10-25-2005, 12:48 AM
lacomj
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TD in DC
... I don't see how any of you guys can stand the feeling of the car above 140 unless you have aerokits. It does not inspire confidence IMHO. One gust of wind, deer, squirrel, etc . . and it would not be pretty. The car feels much more stable with the factor aero . . .
I know what you mean...and I do have the aero kit. It is possible that it is the undulations of the road itself (perhaps not felt so much at normal speeds) but on a few excursions, I found that at about 130, it starts to "dance" as you say. I've brought it to 150 where it felt like any more would be unsafe.

I guess my question is...
The "dancing" may have nothging to do with the aero kit, but for those with the adjustable rear wings, how do you set them? Mine is set "neutral", i.e., so that the edges of the wing are aligned with the top of the supports (looks smooth visually). This is how it was when I bought it.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:51 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by lacomj
The "dancing" may have nothging to do with the aero kit, but for those with the adjustable rear wings, how do you set them? Mine is set "neutral", i.e., so that the edges of the wing are aligned with the top of the supports (looks smooth visually). This is how it was when I bought it.
It is a tradeoff. The aero components reduce your top speed. The more aggressively you set your wing, the more planted you will feel at high speeds, but the lower your top end will be. The top ends on these cars are ridiculously high, so, unless you are racing AND you find that you are losing time on the straights, you might want to set the wing to its most aggressive position. If you only use your car on the streets, then I would leave it in the neutral position because it looks the best.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 AM
toddel68
Instructor

Originally Posted by lacomj
I know what you mean...and I do have the aero kit. It is possible that it is the undulations of the road itself (perhaps not felt so much at normal speeds) but on a few excursions, I found that at about 130, it starts to "dance" as you say. I've brought it to 150 where it felt like any more would be unsafe.
I go 130+ several times a week and definitely don't feel like I have Mr Swayze locked up in my trunk. This must be a setup problem or the US-suspension (if you still have it)

Thorsten
Old 10-25-2005, 12:10 PM
teflon_jones
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've gone over 130 more times than I can count and I've never felt like my car was dancing, and I don't have an aerokit.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:14 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by toddel68
I go 130+ several times a week and definitely don't feel like I have Mr Swayze locked up in my trunk. This must be a setup problem or the US-suspension (if you still have it)

Thorsten
Definately NOT a setup "problem," and I have PSS9s. Perhaps it is a question of the roads where the cars were driven, or even driver sensitivity.

Also, as far as I know, the term "dancing" refers to front end "lightness" rather than rear end instability. Since I only wanted to use wind tunnel tested aero parts, I stuck with stock Porsche aerokits, which included a front lip in addition to a rear wing.

P.S. I don't even want to know what made you think of Patrick Swayze. I prefer to think of Alizee in my trunk.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:35 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

it is funny because when i bought my car 996 C2 01 stock look, it was rock stedy at straight line...

now with 285 at the rear (instead of 265) and GT3 aero kit with no rear wing i.e sideskirts and front nose includind the front chin spoiler, someone would asume that with no rear wing downforce at the rear should be less than with the wing on it. this mean the car should be "heavier" at the front due to lack of the rear wing....

unfortunetelly the wheels steering now is dancing a bit (although the car is going straight) which in fact makes feel a little bit nervous....

do you guys know why this is happening to my car?
Old 10-25-2005, 12:39 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by harris
it is funny because when i bought my car 996 C2 01 stock look, it was rock stedy at straight line...

now with 285 at the rear (instead of 265) and GT3 aero kit with no rear wing i.e sideskirts and front nose includind the front chin spoiler, someone would asume that with no rear wing downforce at the rear should be less than with the wing on it. this mean the car should be "heavier" at the front due to lack of the rear wing....

unfortunetelly the wheels steering now is dancing a bit (although the car is going straight) which in fact makes feel a little bit nervous....

do you guys know why this is happening to my car?
I don't know why, but I would put on the GT3 rear wing pronto. The entire setup is supposed to be rock solid, so if you have only the partial setup and you are uncomfortable, the solution seems to be pretty clear.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:41 PM
harris
Burning Brakes

i forgot to mention that my car has a factory sport suspension i.e lowered...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:13 PM
fahren affair
Pro

ot: if you get a speeding ticket in california for 100+ (like i did) you wont do it again on a public hwy. i'm still paying for it in more ways than one. i got an insurance quote this yr at ~$7,000/yr

Quick Reply: Fastes you've gone