Sponsored by:

PDK, Porsche's version of "F1/Cambiocorsa" or SMG II

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post PDK, Porsche's version of "F1/Cambiocorsa" or SMG II

My parents just got here in Atlanta from Brussels and with them came about 10 P-car magazines. One of them shows the standard photoshop of the 997, looks OK to me, BUT also says that Porsche will have the double coupling (2 clutches - 1 for 1 to 3 and another for 4 to6) when the car will come out. This could convince me to go for the 997 instead of the Maserato Coupe... Any comments? Does anyone know anything about this?
JM
Old 11-09-2002, 02:56 PM
Si_C4S
AutoX

Hi Jean-Marc,

Well, "know" is too strong a word, but the current rumours for the MY04 911 seem to be:

o Brand new sequential manual transmission (using two clutches) - this may be the standard transmission on the car

o Engine staying as 6 cylinder - but a 3.8 litre, 350 bhp variant

o 13 new models in the range (to be released in chunks at six month intervals in the usual way, cab, turbo, GT, etc)

o Past 2004, some 911 models may get a brand new flat 8 cylinder (as opposed to the V8 in the Cayenne) - output around 450 bhp, normally aspirated.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:37 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Hi Jean-Marc,

I'm surprised you are considering either a 911 or a Maserati 3200 Coupe (if thats the one you are reffering to), since they are totaly different cars. The Maserati is more in the luxury-sport-touring coupe class like the Jaguar XKR, Aston Martin DB7 or SL500. So if you haven't tried a Maserati 3200 compared to a 996 for example, make sure you do before you buy because depending on your preferences you may not like one of them. Just my advice

Anyway, I herd here in Spain similar rumors as Si_C4S in the UK about the 997. The 997 will keep the flat-six 320HP initially and the 3.8liter 350HP will be for a later 911S variant. Also Porsche was caught working on a double-clutch for a possible future "true sequential" gerabox for the 997 as an option.
Old 11-09-2002, 03:41 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Carlos, I did try the Coupe and I have to tell you that I was amazed at the car's capabilities, whether braking accelerating, corenering etc on the street. I am sure that a well driven 911 will do better on the track BUT the Maserati is simply awesone. I have owned every 911 model since th 964 and I was just in love with the engine and transmission of the Maserati. So much so that I almost bought one 2 days ago... I am still thinking about it
JM
Old 11-09-2002, 03:55 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Hi Jean-Marc,

Though not as fast or agile as a 996, I´m sure the Maserati 3200GT can hold its own since its famous for its agility for a car 250Kg heavier than the 996. Also, in the US, outside the track you won't be able to take them to the limit like in european streets to notice a difference

Besides, the italian twin-turbo V8 must be a blast! Doesn't the Maserati have now the same Magneti Marelli sequential gerabox that the F360 Modena, Aston Martin Vanquish amd Alfa Romeo Selespeed have?
Old 11-09-2002, 04:22 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

Carlos, actually in the US the Maserati has a normally aspirated engine. It's a 4.2 based on that of the 360 Modena but with a longer stroke for more torque. Of course it also means that it doesn't rev quite as fast. The gearbox is indeed the Magneti Marelli but the programming is very different for Ferrari, Alfa, or Maserati. I loved it on the Maserati but hated it on the 155 selespeed that I tried in Belgium in August.

I have to tell you that with braking distances nearly identical (but better) than a 996, brakes made my Brembo (like P-cars) and a Ferrari engine and gearbox, the Maserati is quite a car!!!

It evens seats 4 adults comfortably!!

Anyway, now I'm waiting for the 997 with PDK
JM
Old 11-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

If it has a 4.2l normally aspirated engine then, its not called "3200" GT either in the US?
Makes sense giving up fast-reving for torque since its more intended for confort than a F360. It must sound impresive reving up.

The Maserati has larger brakes than the 996 but on a comparison between the two, the Porsche outbraked the Maserati due to the weight difference.

[quote] Anyway, now I'm waiting for the 997 with PDK <hr></blockquote>

Well, you can´t go wrong with that one either
My next car after my 996 will be a 997 also, but I just can't think how they are going to improve the 996! I wouldn't mind a light aluminum chasis with a high-reving more powerful 8cil engine
Old 11-09-2002, 08:55 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<strong>Carlos, actually in the US the Maserati has a normally aspirated engine. It's a 4.2 based on that of the 360 Modena but with a longer stroke for more torque. JM</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, while the engine is made by Ferrari at their factory, it is a completely new design -- 4244 cc, 90 degree, four valve V8, with dry sump lubrication, putting out 390 bhp at 7000 rpm and peak torque of 333 lb-ft at 4500 rpm. It is truly a great engine!
Old 11-09-2002, 10:06 PM
Jean-Marc
Racer

If you're interested in Maserati and Ferrari's try this link

<a href="http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/155998.html?1036120326" target="_blank">http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/21/155998.html?1036120326</a>
Old 12-15-2002, 05:06 AM
Langers
Intermediate

I'll try and clear up some confusion about this Maserati:

The Ghibli replacement was originally called the 3200GT. It has a 3.2L twin-turbo engine, which was extremely laggy and had non-linear throttle response. The 3200GT has since been replaced by the Maserati Coupe (that's all the name is) which has a naturally aspirated V8 and has lost the boomerang-shaped brake lights as a result of the Americans winging too much. The new V8 is a very, very nice engine and the build quality and driving experience offered by the Coupe is one step above the 3200GT.
Old 12-15-2002, 10:00 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Jean-Marc:
<strong>My parents just got here in Atlanta from Brussels and with them came about 10 P-car magazines. One of them shows the standard photoshop of the 997, looks OK to me, BUT also says that Porsche will have the double coupling (2 clutches - 1 for 1 to 3 and another for 4 to6) when the car will come out. This could convince me to go for the 997 instead of the Maserato Coupe... Any comments? Does anyone know anything about this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It appears that Porsche does not have a sequential manual transmission in the works. Rather, it is contemplating the use of the newly developped Direct-Shift Gearbox (DSG) co-developped by Audi and Sachs. This gearbox is scheduled to be lauched on the upcoming 247 BHP 3.2 liter Audi TT V6 next year first with other models following shortly after that.

DSG operates much like Ferrari's F1 system, supporting both automatic and manual shifting using either a console shifter or paddles behind the steering wheel. Where DSG differs is its adoption of a double-clutch system which allows the selection of two gears simultaneously. One gear is engaged immediately; the next is placed in a pre-selected state, but its clutch is kept disengaged. When the driver taps the paddle, electro-hydraulic actuators open the engaged gear's clutch. The resulting shifts are said to be smoother and faster that those of a single clutch system.
Old 12-16-2002, 12:06 PM
vm
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More info about the Audi transmission can be found at:
<a href="http://www.audiworld.com/news/02/tt32/" target="_blank">DSG Gearbox</a>
Old 12-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Ebrigham
Rennlist Member

[quote]Originally posted by Carlos from Spain:
[QB]Hi Jean-Marc,

Though not as fast or agile as a 996, I´m sure the Maserati 3200GT can hold its own since its famous for its agility for a car 250Kg heavier than the 996. Also, in the US, outside the track you won't be able to take them to the limit like in european streets to notice a difference

QB]<hr></blockquote>

Though it seems a little odd in retrospect, earlier this year I backed out of a C4 Cab for a Maserati coupe. I took delivery a couple weeks ago. Though I am more than thrilled with my purchase, I probably couldn't have gone wrong either way. Considering the majority of my miles are highway, a GT was a better bet for me.

As an aside, looks like Ferrari will eventually put the 4.2 liter V8 currently in the Maserati, into the Modena. It will be further tuned to provide 450+ HP. Not bad at all...

Every now and then though, I think about a TT...
Old 12-18-2002, 11:09 PM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Jean-Marc,

EVO recently did a test of a C4s, the XKR, and the Maseratti. They ranked the Mazeratti last. You might want to see if you can find a copy. If not, shoot me an e-mail and I'll see if I can scan it for you.

Personally, I have two reservations about that car. 1. I just don't think it's very good looking. 2. I would be very concerned about resale value, right now they cannot give them away...

Roy

ps. See you at the track all the time. I'm the silver Exige
Old 12-22-2002, 01:18 AM
Jean-Marc
Racer

[quote]Originally posted by RWO:
<strong>Jean-Marc,

EVO recently did a test of a C4s, the XKR, and the Maseratti. They ranked the Mazeratti last. You might want to see if you can find a copy. If not, shoot me an e-mail and I'll see if I can scan it for you.

Personally, I have two reservations about that car. 1. I just don't think it's very good looking. 2. I would be very concerned about resale value, right now they cannot give them away...

Roy

ps. See you at the track all the time. I'm the silver Exige</strong><hr></blockquote>

Roy,
I decided to wait...
See you on the 15th at the Boxster club track day?

Quick Reply: PDK, Porsche's version of "F1/Cambiocorsa" or SMG II