996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

GHL-Stainless Exhaust Special

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 10:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, on a cab I would either keep the stock exhaust or try GHL regulars. You won't like fabs on a cab, they are a true hi perf muffler with power you can feel, but at a price...loud. I like them, but not for everybody.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:37 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Surgeon, where RUFs stand? Are they loud as hell too? I have a cab and liked the sound of the RUFS, but now you have me thinking that GHL is the way to go.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:44 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

The Rufs are the loudest mufflers available, not for the faint of heart, plus they run around 2k. DJ996 had a set for awhile, he'll chime in I'm sure. He's had PSE, Ruf,Fabs, and GHL.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:51 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first Cab I test drove(first porsche I had ever driven) had Fab's on it. They didn't seem too bad on the Highway but when I drove around in the city it was kinda loud.

The GHL's don't give any performance gains?

Also, I've noted that the stock exhaust I have seems louder with the top closed than with the top open.

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Honestly, on a cab I would either keep the stock exhaust or try GHL regulars. You won't like fabs on a cab, they are a true hi perf muffler with power you can feel, but at a price...loud. I like them, but not for everybody.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:49 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess the question to ask of him is which one he has decided to leave on the car, and why?
Old 12-03-2005, 01:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

He's got fabs.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 AM
emty
Advanced

proven hp gain?
Old 12-03-2005, 09:11 AM
jedier
Instructor

Count me in for a DC (or VA) meet. I have a 2000 C2 cab and would love to make it sound a little more lively. It's a daily drive so based on everything that I've read here, GHL would probably be the best choice for me.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
i've had PSE, fabspeed, GHL regular and quiet. actually, that is the order of "loudness" from high to low. my favourite is still PSE and i still regret selling them. i was going for weight savings so i got the GHLs and fabspeed. i found the GHL loud to be only slightly louder than the regular. the difference was so slight that i called GHL to double check what they sent and it was confirmed that they sent the loud. i think the GHLs are better for cabs. i think my tin top muffled a lot of the sound. they do sound great from the outside though
Karlooz, you feel PSE is louder than Fabspeed? I've never heard the Fabspeed. How much difference? Also, you mention GHL regular, GHL quiet, then GHL loud. Are there 3 GHL's?
Old 12-03-2005, 10:51 AM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I realize you're talking about Fabspeeds, but Karlooz listed his Fabspeeds as less loud than his PSE.........
And I have PSE on my cab, and it is possibly my favorite mod. I don't feel as if it's too loud at all. Sometimes when driving top-up, I open my rear drivers side window to partially simulate the top-down PSE experience, which is fairly awesome.
Old 12-03-2005, 12:35 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a CAB and have the PSE cans on (open all the time). I absolutely LOVE the sound especially with the top down! But, this mod is one of those that you NEED to hear first if you are the least bit worried about if you will like it or not. You really need to hear various cans in person. Sound clips do NOT do any of the cans justice.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:18 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin H. in Atl..
Karlooz, you feel PSE is louder than Fabspeed? I've never heard the Fabspeed. How much difference? Also, you mention GHL regular, GHL quiet, then GHL loud. Are there 3 GHL's?
me, my wife and my neighbors all feel that PSE 3.6 is louder than fabspeed and GHL.

if PSE is a 10 loudness, fabs are 8, GHL LOUD is 6, and GHL regular/quiet is 5.

PSE is the THE BEST sound for the 996 but i got rid of it to save weight. i still regret getting rid of it . just run the switch for the times you find it loud, esp. in a cab.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:19 PM
mike996va
6th Gear

anyone have pics of GHL w/ GHL tips??
Old 12-03-2005, 04:00 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter, Carlos and Chris,

Thanks for your input. I think the GHL regulars would work best with my cab.

-Gary

Originally Posted by mike996va
anyone have pics of GHL w/ GHL tips??
Mike,

Did you check the GHL website? They have a picture on their site. Remember: Google is your friend.

http://www.ghlmotorsports.com/Mercha...ory_Code=P-996

P.S. Newbies must post pics.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Gary, I wish I was back in the NOVA right now so I could take you for a ride in my CAB with the PSE. Absolutely INTOXICATING! If you have't purchased anything by the end of May when I get back there for good I'll take you for a spin.

Quick Reply: GHL-Stainless Exhaust Special