Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

A 996 c2 X51 and a stock TT Have nearly the same HP..

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 01:38 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Basing your purchase decision between a 996 TT versus a C2 X51 on hp and acceleration figures is simply foolish. You need to ask yourself what you want out of this car and drive the damn things. I drove a 996 TT and a 40th back to back over some two lane twisty roads and quickly decided that I liked the 40th much better. Sure it has less power and the numbers show it to be slower in acceleration and top speed. The driving experience sold me on the car as it felt much lighter and more nimble the the TT. This is important to me and drove my buying decision. You make your own decision. Drive the damn things.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:41 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I Know I will miss how light and nimble my C2 feels vs a TT, but I just have to have more power! I agree with earlyapex, drive both cars back to back.If you drive them 3 weeks or 3 hours apart it wont give you the anwsers you might be looking for. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, a disclaimer. I like TTs and wouldn't mind having one. For the purpose of the comments that follow, I am sticking with the choice of 996TT versus X51C2. As such, don't take any insult from my comments, because I mean none.

On the street, it is all about comfortable and safe driving, and, for many, the power and panache to "impress" others. The 996TT is the king for this. It is the best value I can think of for a supercar that you can realistically use as a daily driver. Very impressive.

On the track, it depends upon what you want to do.

For DEs, everyone knows that it is all about the corners. I, and many of the track rats I know, would prefer to have a lighter, more tossable, car over a heavier car with more HP. Moreover, the AWD is only necessary for truly inclement weather (the track is closed during "truly" inclement weather) and to put power down when you have too much HP for only two wheels. The rubber on the X51C2 is more than sufficient to put down all the available power available under most circumstances. As such, the AWD is a liability on the track under most conditions: it adds weight and makes the car less tossable without any obvious benefit. Sure the TT has more power on the straights, but who cares? Every time you pass someone they would say to themselves "what do you expect, the turbo has more horsepower." Every time you get passed, the other driver would be thinking to himself or herself "I just took the turbo, yummm." The X51C2 has more than enough power on the track, and the better handling of the C2 platform would allow you to do a pretty good job of keeping up with a TT or, depending upon the driver, pass it. Plus, you don't have the added complexity of the turbo or AWD to deal with. Put simply, the x51C2 would be more fun, unless you are compensating for lack of driving skills, and then you should just learn how to drive. That said, there are many great drivers who track their TTs in DEs who could spank me all around the track even if I were driving a TT.

With respect to racing, you just don't see that many 996TTs. Racing would be the most fun when you have a big class with many competitors. Who cares if you make the podium if you are the only one of three or five in your class? I would rather run in a bigger class with lots of competitors with similar cars. I am nearly certain that there are many more X51C2s racing than there are 996TTs.

For these reasons, the choice would be a no brainer for me. Street? 996TT. Track? X51C2.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Todd. That helps alot. Now I have to buy a TT for the street and a C2 for the track! Oh the wife is not going to be happy
Old 12-14-2005, 03:19 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, I've run down the straight at Brainerd with all these cars. It's essentially a mile long sprint starting at 100 mph. My x51 (which weighs around 2910 and dynos a ways over 300) is pretty much dead even with a GT3. Same with a 993TT. A 996TT will pull me by a couple of lengths. I would be very surprised if they only have 300 hp at the wheels.

At the end of the day, it's all about hp/torque and weight. The tt is fat but the HP more than makes up for it.

Now, for a track car. Give me the light car anyday but I'll admit that an equally prepared TT with an equal driver will be faster on most tracks on a short run. On a tight course or on a long run, an X51 would give it a good run.
Jim
Old 12-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

TD,
If you've ever seen the "BMI 996TT The King" video you might change your mind, as the AWD cars (996TT, Evo, & Skyline (I think)) DESTROYED the 2 wheel drive cars (F360, NSX, Corvette C5) all over the track, including the twisties, even the 280 hp jap cars were just too efficient for the mighty Modena.

Now you might like to get sideways in turns as you lose traction, it is fun, but it doesn't equate to a fast lap time.

I think the reason you don't see many TTs at the track is the cost of the car. As 996TTs get to the $50k level and away from the affluent first owners into enthusiat's hands, you will see many more.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shark
TD,
If you've ever seen the "BMI 996TT The King" video you might change your mind, as the AWD cars (996TT, Evo, & Skyline (I think)) DESTROYED the 2 wheel drive cars (F360, NSX, Corvette C5) all over the track, including the twisties, even the 280 hp jap cars were just too efficient for the mighty Modena.

Now you might like to get sideways in turns as you lose traction, it is fun, but it doesn't equate to a fast lap time.

I think the reason you don't see many TTs at the track is the cost of the car. As 996TTs get to the $50k level and away from the affluent first owners into enthusiat's hands, you will see many more.
Keep in mind that I was comparing a stock X51C2 to a stock 996TT. Did you read my disclaimer?

I stand by my claim that the stock C2 platform handles better than the stock 996TT platform in the corners under most circumstances. Two factors are even more important to consider: One, a lighter car is more fun than a heavier car IMHO. Second, it is not as much fun being the big kid on the block, because you can never really win. It is sorta like fighting a girl, whether you win or you lose, you still lose. Give me the X51C2 any day of the week . . .

Yes, cost and complexity is definitely a factor, and I have no doubt that you will see more TTs at DEs, but I still think there is a reason why you do not see so many TTs in racing.

It's all good. I am just calling it as I see it. It is not as if either car is a bad option.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:03 PM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the torque of the TT. Even if the HP to the wheels is similar the TT is producing a fair amount more torque.

And I good Lord I can't believe this, but I'm 100% in agreement with you Todd on the street vs track nature of the cars. I've spent a lot of time at the track in a bone stock 996TT.

-KJ
Old 12-14-2005, 05:06 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by KJinDC
And good Lord I can't believe this, but I'm 100% in agreement with you Todd
Hey, KJ, what's that supposed to mean?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Keep in mind that I was comparing a stock X51C2 to a stock 996TT. Did you read my disclaimer?

I stand by my claim that the stock C2 platform handles better than the stock 996TT platform in the corners under most circumstances. It's all good. I am just calling it as I see it. It is not as if either car is a bad option.
The point was that at a world class race track with professional drivers, a bone stock 996TT beat the CRAP out of a 400 hp rear wheel drive car that most of us would kill for (F360). I don't think given the same circumstances the outcome would be different given a 345 hp car.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:55 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shark
The point was that at a world class race track with professional drivers, a bone stock 996TT beat the CRAP out of a 400 hp rear wheel drive car that most of us would kill for (F360). I don't think given the same circumstances the outcome would be different given a 345 hp car.
Shark,

You need to read my reasoning in its entirety. All of the parts hang together. I stick by my opinion, which has nothing to do with insulting TTs.

Peace,

TD
Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks Todd. That helps alot. Now I have to buy a TT for the street and a C2 for the track! Oh the wife is not going to be happy
Dell - THAT could be the under statement of the year!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:25 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

The TT will spank the NA 996, no comparison.

Christian
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A well prepared C2 x51 can carry alot of speed into the corner, that is what's gonna spank a stock TT. Like others have said, a well prepped TT would be a different story.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:25 PM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to throw gas onto the fire, but don't the bigger brakes and wider tires of the turbo vs. the C2 also play a huge part in its ability to get around a track quickly? I would think that would more than compensate for the slight additional weight and drag the AWD and wider body/tires....

David

Quick Reply: A 996 c2 X51 and a stock TT Have nearly the same HP..