Sponsored by:

Completely Addicted - New Member with Story

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Completely Addicted - New Member with Story

I live about 1 hour & 20 minutes from the nearest Porsche dealership. On November 14 2005 I had to run an errand that just happened to be 15 minutes away from the dealership. It had been 12 years since I last test drove the best driving machine on the planet. So I decided to put my self in temptations grasp once again. I pulled into the dealership. I started walking by the rows of perfected machinery. TT, GT3, 4S,Cabrio's....and the Colors.... Just by the look I could have taken all of them. After about 15 minutes I walked into the main show room and met Gianni(sales professional). Black=my comments Red=Gianni Hello, my name is Gianni, how can I help you today? My name is Chris and I'd like to test drive a few cars" Sure what would you like to start with? Let's start with the 2000 Cab. He grabs the keys I get in, he drives us off the lot. Lucky for me this dealership is located near Woodland Hills. They have a road the goes up a wicked road in a canyon called "Topanga Canyon." Everything from Hairpin to inverted to exverted turns with hundreds of feet of drop off if you screw up. We talk in the car and I find out the Gianni is hired often to test drive a variety of cars at the track and write up an opinion on them. Okay so we turn off the main blvd and start heading towards the canyon. About 1 mile before we enter the canyon we hit a stop light. "Here we go says Gianni!" The light turns green and he hits gas pedal to the floor and launches the car from 0-60 in just a few seconds shifting through the gears with perfect precision. "Inside I am saying yes, this is good" He slows down before we enter the canyon and pulls the car over to the side to allow a few cars upahead to distance themselves from us.. "here we go" The first turn we hit the G force pushes me sideways in my seat. "yeah" This is great! Next turn we hit is a long sweeping turn and I feel the car drift just a bit and the tires screech. "wheel drift" Excellent! We go up the mountain about 3 miles and come back down. He pulls over, now it's my turn. We switch seats I get in and instantly love the way the steering wheel frames the guages. Adjust seat and mirrors and ..... blast off..... "Yeah this is great" Your doing good now push it! Next turn a little faster yeah this is good, my adrenaline is pumping.. Faster push it! Wohoooooooo loving this! Finally a person who can drive one of these cars... You either like this kind of car or you don't. Take the next turn and go for it.... push it! Damn this is fun! We go back to the dealership and we next pull out the Twin Turbo... bring the car back near the canyon, hit the stop light and 0-60 in a few seconds.. arghhh! yahwhoooo!! adrenaline just gave me another boost. See a guy like you can really use the power! We go back and test drive 3 other cars. Little did I know that my Destiny would soon be fulfilled! We end up in the showroom and now here is where the justification on my part comes in. We go over numbers and ultimatley I decide not to buy from the dealership. We go over to a Pub near by and I buy Gianni a beer and dinner for his hospatility. Gianni got me so addicted test driving the cars like that I could not sleep for 2 days. mainly because I was on Ebay, Autotrader, Craigs List, Google looking everwhere for a good deal. I finally find the one that is almost perfect for me on Craigs List. I drive to meet the seller, look over the car not a single dent, absolutely looks like it came off the showroom floor. I take a test drive and yes this is the one and my Destiny is fullfilled. I get the car looked over and get the okay. It Has a 100,000 mile warrantly or until July 2008. We negotiate, I go to the bank and get a cashiers check. Here I am today happy everytime I look at that car, and when I drive... ... it is my dose of Adrenaline and Therapy for the soul. Yes I am addicted.. I thought this feeling was just the honeymoon phase.... but I think I will feel this way as long as I own the car.

2002 Cabriolet C2 Seal Grey Metallic / Graphite Grey Interior / Grey Top 18" Lt Alloy Wheel / Design Package / Advanced Technic Package 6 Speed Manual

Thanks for allowing me to share my excitement and thank you and everyone else who has submitted their advice and information on this site to help me understand my car better. It is appreciated....

Last edited by Chris 996; 02-09-2006 at 04:34 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Gnome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story. Got pics? You must post them.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Wonderful story. Professionals like Gianie have a passion for the marque and knowing that the sales will follow.

I had a similar experience with my salesman who has let me test drive everything in his lot through the hills of Monterey!

Congratulations on your Porsche. Post some pictures!
Old 01-14-2006, 12:41 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Exciting Porsche buying experience. Congrats on the purchase, now lets see some pics of your dream.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the list.. Post pics and start modding!
Old 01-14-2006, 03:01 AM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and welcome - sounds like you went to the Auto Gallery before buying private party - Auto Gallery is where I bought my car - I think that test drive route sells more cars for them than anywhere else. Looks like you mastered using this site's icons - now try the pic upload - we'd love to see!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:01 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Default Some quick pictures in the garage.

Here are some quick shots I took in the Garage. I will post better pictures later.
Any advice you have for a new owner is much appreciated.

Regarding warm up, Do you watch your temperature guage and wait until 180 degress before you feel it is safe to run the rpms past 4,000? or???.....
Attached Images        
Old 01-14-2006, 12:45 PM
jb26jb
Racer

Welcome aboard. Nice ride! I try to keep it under 3k rpm until fully warmed up.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Fastest way to DECREASE the life of your engine in an exponential way is to take it high in the tach till she is all warmed up. It only takes a few minutes so be patient. Nice ride!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:10 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing the experience!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Great story - you must've been at the Auto Gallery, and you must look like a rich guy, 'cause whenever I've been there they look like they'd rather polish their shoes than talk to me.

I also see you have the Tennis Ball, Green, option code M452. Good choice!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:22 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car! Congrats.
Old 01-14-2006, 10:39 PM
zahjah
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris 996
I thought this feeling was just the honeymoon phase.... but I think I will feel this way as long as I own the car.

congrats....and yes you will!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 04:58 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris 996
Regarding warm up, Do you watch your temperature guage and wait until 180 degress before you feel it is safe to run the rpms past 4,000? or???.....
Every time. I don't push the RPMs past the point needed to pull out into normal traffic (3-4k max) until the guage is up in normal operating range (180). Its tough sometimes - especially cold days - but discipline will pay off in the long run.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:22 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Thumbs up

Gnome, Earlyapex, Vove, kilrgt, BlackCab996, jb26jb, LVDell, Dmac, Nutbeem, Zahjah, gravedgr, Carrera Mike, Thank you for the Congratulations and the welcome!!

I am looking forward to taking the Car to the track soon.

Quick Reply: Completely Addicted - New Member with Story