Sponsored by:

Warming up Car... How long?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:39 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
First I always warm the car until the the car comes to idle - about 700RPM, which takes about 2 or 3 min. tops. Then I keep the RPM's under 4K until the car comes up to temp, about 180 degrees. You can actually feel the tranny warm up and shifting is much easier.

After that I consider the car ready to go.
This is exactly what I do - seems to work great.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:44 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way. It doesn't matter how you warm the car up, just as long as you fully warm it up before driving it hard. You do no damage letting it idle til warmup or driving it immediatly. So do whatever tickles your fancy. If the questions is "is it necessary to warm it up fully before driving", the answer would be no.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
rayscar
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any recommendation before turning the ignition off after returning from a drive? I heard you should let it sit and idle for avery short period, any truth to that?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:32 PM
dant
Track Day

Default thanks for the replies

I guess there is mix emotions, but It sucks when its 5:30am and I am sitting out in car trying to get to the gym thinking " I have been here for 5 minutes now, and still waiting" I guess it really doesnt matter as long as I keep the revs down. Thanks for all the responses, also is normal temperature in between the 8-0 or around that area? Do these cars ever overheat in traffic? I just don't know what to expect, and the last thing I want to do is harm my car from lack of knowledge? What is everyones experience? How high has temp gotten on some of you? I have had everything from 67 camaros, to new 3 series and everything is different.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:45 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rayscar
Is there any recommendation before turning the ignition off after returning from a drive? I heard you should let it sit and idle for avery short period, any truth to that?
In my Audi, if the engine is too hot, the radiator fan will continue to run after the key is out of the ignition. Do our cars do that too (haven't driven my car in 100* temps yet)?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by smackboy1
In my Audi, if the engine is too hot, the radiator fan will continue to run after the key is out of the ignition. Do our cars do that too (haven't driven my car in 100* temps yet)?
996's will do the same thing.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:16 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

I'm with riad! That's exactly what my routine is when warming up my car. Idle down to 700 rpm or so, then I'm off.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:21 PM
delirium
Racer

Originally Posted by Ucube
I'm with riad! That's exactly what my routine is when warming up my car. Idle down to 700 rpm or so, then I'm off.
Me too, wait for 700RPM, it takes approx 3 -4 mins, but the temp gauge still indicates that the engine is cold.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys are simply wasting time if you're sitting in your car for 3-4 minutes. Start the car...give it a few seconds to get the oil flowing (like noted before, usually the amount of time it takes to get your seat belt on and get yourself adjusted), then drive off. If it's cold out, just don't hammer on the car. Modern motors w/synthetic oils will not be harmed by driving off immediately.

An idling only car warms up the motor, but nothing else. Driving the car warms up all the components at the same rate, helping to extend the life of major seals (know of any on 996s and Boxsters?) and "in between" components. Not to mention there are some components that simply can't be warmed up w/o driving the car. I'm fairly certain it's not good for a car to be driving with a warm motor and a cold transmission and/or brakes. ..nor is it safe!
Old 03-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Doug,

Let me ask you this question then; why do they engineer the car to idle faster when it's cold?

Rob
Old 03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dunno...?

I will say that with almost every car I've owned, a quick blip of the throttle will bring it down to a reasonable idle...if not the 700 rpm you mentioned.

Still...???
Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

I've posted this question on Renntech... if those guys don't know, no one does.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
You guys are simply wasting time if you're sitting in your car for 3-4 minutes. Start the car...give it a few seconds to get the oil flowing (like noted before, usually the amount of time it takes to get your seat belt on and get yourself adjusted), then drive off. If it's cold out, just don't hammer on the car. Modern motors w/synthetic oils will not be harmed by driving off immediately.

An idling only car warms up the motor, but nothing else. Driving the car warms up all the components at the same rate, helping to extend the life of major seals (know of any on 996s and Boxsters?) and "in between" components. Not to mention there are some components that simply can't be warmed up w/o driving the car. I'm fairly certain it's not good for a car to be driving with a warm motor and a cold transmission and/or brakes. ..nor is it safe!
OK, I'd say it probably takes you one minute to turn on the ignition, put down whatever you're carrying, get belted in and well situated before driving off. So it takes me another 2 minutes, I'd hardly call that a "waste" of time.

How is driving with a warm motor and a cold transmission and brakes any worse or more unsafe than with a cold motor? Aren't you still warming up the other cold components by driving? Regardless of the warm-up time, none of us hammers the motor until proper operating temp. Is there some mechanical detriment to the components if they're not all warmed up at the same rate and time? From what I understand, the case against idling (for any car) has always been about fuel economy and pollution, not mechanical damage. Are Porsches the exceptions?
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 PM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

The reason you do not sit around and warm up your car in Germany is because if you let you engine idle for more than 2 minutes you can get a ticket. Personally I let my car idle for 30 - 60 sec and then keep the rpms below 3000 till she is fully warmed up. Am I correct, probaly not but now you know the German law and my procedure.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:51 PM
42empress
Racer

I believe excessive idling at start up leads to some consequence of not having complete combustion of the fuel. This can cause "damage" somehow, but i am by no means the expert. (moisture as well) Just trying to remember why i was told not to do it. My biturbo Audi S4 manual stated that you needed to see the OIL temp move before harder driving. There were times when the engine temp went up pretty quickly but the oil took considerably longer. Why don't we have oil temp gauges?

Quick Reply: Warming up Car... How long?