Bose Audio vs Standard...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
rmcgookey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bose Audio vs Standard...

Question...
I'm looking to buy an '02 C2 coupe very soon. How much better does the Bose sound system sound than the stock?

Secondly, if i go with the vehicle without bose and want to upgrade speakers for better sound quality, is that a standard installation done by a circuit city type place, or is there more to it than that?

thanks!
Ryan
Old 03-22-2006, 05:20 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Overall, whether its a stock or bose, you can do much better by replacing the standard system with a better quality aftermarket stereo system. You can spend a moderate amount, or a extrodinary amount.
But if you are only going to replace speakers and buy from a dealer like C.C. etc, you will probibly be better off just leaving the whole thing alone. Because you are going to get minimal results at best. If you really want to make a difference, go shopping at a few real auto stereo dealers and see all the different stereo equipment that is avaliable.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get pse instead
Old 03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Bose upgrade, it is ok but certainly not important enough or worth making a decision on which car to buy.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:21 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Bose option is nice - yes, an aftermarket system will sound better, but you get the subwoofers with the Bose and it cranks a pretty high volume...
Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The regular system sucks! Hope that helps.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:40 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by jsaindc
I have the Bose upgrade, it is ok but certainly not important enough or worth making a decision on which car to buy.
This is how I view the topic. I have Bose and I love it. However, lack of Bose would not have deterred me from buying a car I otherwise liked.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Moogle
Race Car

For an 02, I wouldn't care for the bose, its not worth it, without the 03's MOST digital bus, you are free to rip out the entire sub-par system and go aftermarket.

which would be my suggestion if you care for high-quality (faux pas?) audio inside your car while driving.

for me, im pretty happy with the 2 speaker system in my GT3, its good for traffic reports and some music on the highway to keep me sane on long trips. (by pass pipes with the windows closed can get quite mind-numbing after awhile)
Old 03-22-2006, 07:57 PM
Brick
Rennlist Member

Hey I am no audiophile but I have had both and I've had the regular system with the large amp and speaker upgrade. The Bose is significantly better, clearer and has better bass than the 01 and earlier systems. That was your question I think.

I will also say that my current 01 with the DSP is almost annoying to listen to. So I generally don't as the car sounds great to me.

Bill
Old 03-22-2006, 08:04 PM
siddharth
Track Day

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Moogle
For an 02, I wouldn't care for the bose, its not worth it, without the 03's MOST digital bus, you are free to rip out the entire sub-par system and go aftermarket.

which would be my suggestion if you care for high-quality (faux pas?) audio inside your car while driving.

for me, im pretty happy with the 2 speaker system in my GT3, its good for traffic reports and some music on the highway to keep me sane on long trips. (by pass pipes with the windows closed can get quite mind-numbing after awhile)
Exactly !

I'd say you're fighting against physics. The car and engine produce enough noise that your actual music will not be that different between bose and stock offerings. If you get rid of the engine noise, you're losing out on the sporty feel of the car (the essence of a 911!).

I'd tell you to listen to both system. DON'T listen to them in a quiet sound room - you're never going to listen to your music in such a controlled environment. Listen to them as you drive the car - assuming you've found cars with and without the bose option as you hunt.

I'd say use the music system as a differentiator between cars when everything else is the same.

You know I was going to install the Eclipse AVN navigation system with Pioneer speakers. Then I noticed how much I love the usual engine sound (I find myself turning off the radio everytime). So I ordered a sport exhaust instead (Fabspeed) !! Really ! For those long trips I have the iPod handy ...

my 2 cents
Sid
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered my car with the Bose " High End", i can honestly tell you it was redone that very day. Its sounded ok, but not worth the $$ they charged for it, It would never be a deal breaker to me.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:35 PM
wkl
Intermediate

Ryan,

I have a BMW w/ factory Harmon Kardon upgrade and a Lexus w/ factory Mark Levinson upgrade.

I'd say my "02 C2 w/ Bose is in between the two.

Had test driven an '02 C2 w/ regular system; IMHO it is below BMW w/ HK in comparison.

Hope that helps.

-WKL
'02 C2
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 PM
djantlive
Drifting

I like my Bose. Better than the Bose in my MB which I thought was decent. It doesn't sound like you are an audiophile. I'd get a Bose if possible since it'll be sufficient for you and you'll probly want more than a HIFI.

If the car doesn't even have HIFI, I'd avoid it since you'll have to get grilles, brackets and stuff when upgrading which means it'll be $$$.

Aftermarket is nice but I hate the subwoofer, amps and stuff all over the place. Plus, unless you spend at least 2 grand, I doubt you'll do better than Bose.

Don't let this stop you from buying the car if that's the only thing missing.

Last edited by djantlive; 03-23-2006 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:40 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

I am a pretty serious home audiophile and dealer for exotic high-end German horn speakers (my main home system retails for the cost of a base 997). Yet I never understood spending serious coin on car audio, what with 70 dB+ of engine/wind/tire noise and the need to concentrate on the matter at hand...driving. I have the Bose system in my '04 and it's actually quite decent for mobile use; however, as others have previously noted, I wouldn't make a purchase decision - especially for a comparatively noisy & involving sports car - based on the sound system.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

Triode - I see where you're coming from, but I spend a lot more time in the car than I do listening to my home audio system.

Maybe if we were in the 70's and it was groovy to have HiFi and 8 track, but who's got that kind of time to enjoy a 70k home setup?

Quick Reply: Bose Audio vs Standard...