Sponsored by:

DC metro area people

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:01 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

sspike - Davidson has a sports program? Just kidding!
Old 04-08-2006, 11:02 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Hey, our men's basketball team was leading OSU at the end of the first half in the first round of the NCAA tournament (and had it not been essentially a home game for OSU, I think we would have won).
A basketball and soccer program anyways...I think the rest are just going through the motions.
Richard
Old 04-09-2006, 12:12 AM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta agree that there are a ton of P cars here in the DC metro area. At work, there are usually 2-4 in the parking lot. And I seem to pass at least a couple going back and forth from work and driving around town. Even stopped next to a clone (except a C2) of my car leaving my neighborhood at the same time a few days ago!

Would love to meet some of the local guys and gals. Now that my warranty is up, I'm treading the dangerous waters of modsville. I have the Fabspeeds in the foyer and am waiting for the short shifter to come in the mail....
Old 04-09-2006, 12:24 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Well, now that I've got the Washingtonians all in one place, where is everybody's favorite shop? I have my favorites for MB (Mitch Carr) and BMW (BMW Excluservice), but don't know of any for Porsche.

Come to think of it, there is one other 996 I've seen at the parking lot of the doctor's office...so I've seen a total of 3 996's in the DC area...you guys need to drive around more.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 AM
m5guru
Instructor

It's bizarre that your "sighting ratio" is so different from mine because I'm only a few miles from Bethesda.

I'd love to know if there is any consensus regarding favorite independent shop for 996's near here. I want to freshen up my car with a few things like a bunch of fluid changes, new shocks and a new clutch.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:31 AM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

There are several shops in the Tysons/Vienna/Fairfax area.

There is of course HBL/Porsche of Tysons on Rte. 7 just off the Toll Road. They have a pretty good service dept. although they are a little more expensive than the independents. Ask for Mike Milloy in the service department.

Up the street about 3 blocks from HBL (on the same complex as eCitie Cafe) is InterSport. They're good guys and I take my car to them for service and repairs.

I've also spoken to (but have never taken my car to) Ivan at IMA Motorsports on Prosperity Drive in Vienna. A lot of guys -- especially the racers -- take their cars to Ivan. His shop is smaller than Intersport's and it always seems busy so you may have to leave you car there a few days.

Down the street from IMA (right across from BMW of Fairfax) is ASG of Fairfax. I have heard good things about them too. A lot of guys with older 911s take their cars to ASG.

Finally, there is another dealership in the area... Porsche of Arlington in Rte. 1 and Glebe Rd. across from Potomac Yard. They're pretty good too but just too far from my place in Tysons.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:34 PM
jedier
Instructor

I second programmatore for HBL. Mike Milloy's a real decent guy.
I went to their free clinic yesterday. This was the first time I had the opportunity to look at my car in details with a Porsche tech (they take you in the shop with your car). It was very nice to walk around and under the car with the tech who is there not only to check out the car but also to answer any questions you may have. They had some door prizes too (tequipment stuff). Pretty nice.
I have not had any experience with the other shops listed by Prog.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:12 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, I'm surprised to hear HBL plugged since I know from MB's (the cars I know enough about to do all of my own work on, but occasionally I used to check with them on things) that their MB shop is pretty sub standard.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:41 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For MB I go to German Service Center for Porsche I've gone to Tischer and Arlington Porsche, right now my car is at At Speed Racing having tranny work done.

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Well, now that I've got the Washingtonians all in one place, where is everybody's favorite shop? I have my favorites for MB (Mitch Carr) and BMW (BMW Excluservice), but don't know of any for Porsche.

Come to think of it, there is one other 996 I've seen at the parking lot of the doctor's office...so I've seen a total of 3 996's in the DC area...you guys need to drive around more.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
mrhmmhmm
Intermediate

I've had many problems with HBL. Multiple visits for multiple issues and they're still not fixed.

After the warranty period expires, I'm considering not purchasing another p-car because of the substandard service at HBL. It's really been that bad.

Curry's in Chantilly did a fine job of mounting/balancing new rubber. No scratches on rim.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:21 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrhmmhmm
Curry's in Chantilly did a fine job of mounting/balancing new rubber. No scratches on rim.

You all don't go to Radial Tire for tires and such? Among BMW guys they are THE tire shop.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:11 PM
CarlosR
Instructor

Programmatore hit most of the main P-car shops. I like Intersport, but I've had work done at the other independents, and they are all good.

I had such bad experiences at HBL (w/ non-Porsches) that I swore I wouldn't go back in a million years.

Since it's been about a million years now, it's possible they may have changed, but they would really have to prove themselves to me.

=Carlos=

P.S. Potomac Region put on a nice auto-x today. I enjoyed meeting Jim and others, and thanx to the auto-x committee for doing their usual good job.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:45 AM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

I too used Curry's and they were pretty good; however, Tim the main Porsche Tech left and is now with Funktion Auto. I just had them do a 30K and some other odds and ends and I was really satisfied. They have a brand new shop and are really taking care of their customers as they are trying to build up a clientel.
Old 04-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Mitch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to give a plug for Intersport...I've been going to Charlie and Omar for more than 15 years and have never had any real problem. They installed my supercharger and I've had not a single problem with it. BTW, Ivan started at Intersport then went off and started his own. He is very good too.

Just moved from Potomac and now in Leesburg. Spend a lot of time in Tyson's (Starbucks and Panera) and have a place in Soloman's Island that I hope to use a lot this summer. Maybe get a small group of P cars to do an overnight trip down to the tiki bar???
Old 04-10-2006, 03:57 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
You all don't go to Radial Tire for tires and such? Among BMW guys they are THE tire shop.

Highly recommed Radial Tire.

Quick Reply: DC metro area people