Sponsored by:

cold air intake (again...)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 09:59 PM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question cold air intake (again...)

This seems to be the most contentious item on the site. I watched the fabspeed video and thought he was just driving the crap out of the demo with the kit on or am just cynical. I have the fabspeed mufflers and cannot get enough of that sound and so I want more. Forget the power increase debate will my car sound better for adding the fabspeed cold air intake with fabspeed muffler already innstalled?
Old 04-09-2006, 10:09 PM
mrcook02996
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes!

I had the fabspeed exhaust and was disappointed with the sound. I got the EVO intake and the GIAC flash and it made a big difference. It sounds so much better. Since I only have a few hundred miles on the exhaust I'm told it should get even better. I don't know about all the hp gains but definitely a better sound.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

I have the GHL "Loud" cans on my 01 C2. I really like the sound. I later installed the Schnell Cold Air Intake. As far as I can tell the only difference that particular part made is that it is orange.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only put an fabspeed cold air intake,,,no exhaust mod YET!....and the sound is better, but only in the higher revs...I don't think that you will hear the difference, since you already have the exhaust changed...but I could be wrong.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:41 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stuart_w
I watched the fabspeed video and thought he was just driving the crap out of the demo with the kit on or am just cynical.
Stuart, how true. It thought the exact same thing when I watched the video. And you're right, the intake has been quite a contentious issue. My issue is not with the notion of freer flowing; rather, I am more concerned with whether I need to swap out the entire airbox or just stick in a freer flowing filter a la K&N or BMC. The guys at my service shop seem to think that using a filter is as much as you need to do, but I LOVE the look of the Evo CAI.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:31 AM
mrcook02996
Advanced

nycebo,
I originally thought that a BMC filter would help with the sound as well. I installed it and after a few hundred miles found that it had very little if any change in sound. (This was installed before and after the Fabspeed exhaust.) This was not what I found with the EVO intake. Upon start up I noticed a louder, deeper sound. I had someone rev the engine while I stood by the engine and it sounds even better. (along with the louder sound, you can actually hear the car sucking in the air) I added the GIAC flash to the ECU and at wot it is like music to my ears. Like I said in a previous post, I'm not sure about the all the hp gains that are claimed, but it definitely sounds better.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Where did youguys get your GIAC Flash?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:30 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

we do the reflash here...PM me for deal.

Quick Reply: cold air intake (again...)