Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

4s, don't even get me started on large SUVs with crappy mileage that NEVER go offroad. And people call Porsche drivers 'porcupines'. But don't worry, when gas creeps to $4.00 this summer (blame the gov't and MTBE switchover to ethanol), that'll be the end of those behemoths that clutter the road and threaten Porsche front hoods everywhere.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:25 PM
911mz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically the way I do it is always park next to a luxury car or brand new car, chances are those owners are more cautious than the others when they open the door and get out. It depends how long you are going to be away, if it's too long, you can't prevent other cars going out and coming in the lot simple as that.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
911mz
Advanced

If I drive a civic and never own Porsche before, (I used to own a civic, no offense to civic owners) when I try around the lot even though there is going to be plenty spots left, more than likely I would still park next to a luxury car specially exotic cars you don't see very often, it's just human instinct.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
I take two spaces by parking my Pcar on a diagonally, I only do this on the farthest end of the lot.
I personally would key your car if I ever saw it like that, and I own three Porsches myself.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:42 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd beat someone down if I saw them taking a key to any car under any circumstances.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
I'd beat someone down if I saw them taking a key to any car under any circumstances.
OK, so don't take up two spaces like a tool.

Also, there is no way that a driver of a C4 cab could put the beat down on me, unless maybe you use your purse. Dream on. And just in case you haven't figured it out by now, I am just joking around, and I am referring back to an old joke with Riad. I wouldn't key anybody's car, but it is an extremely assholish move to take two spots. Period.

If the "chance" of a door ding or damage bothers you too much, sell the P-car and buy something that doesn't bother you.

Do I want door dings? No. Do I inconvenience myself in any way to avoid them? No. Who cares.

BTW, I don't even have any door dings. I believe that the "special" steps people take to avoid door dings increases the chances that they will get one.

Last edited by TD in DC; 09-12-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:57 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

I find myself getting mildly obsessive about where to park, and who to park next to if there are no distant spaces:
- No minivans, in case they're full of overexcited kids throwing the doors open
- No coupes, as they have long doors
- No SUVs, for all of the above reasons
- No Z3s or other girly "sports cars", since Daddy or hubby probably paid for the car, so the driver has no concept of the cost of repairs and they don't care anyway
Old 09-12-2006, 01:37 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just hire someone to drive around with you, then he can get out and make sure no one dings your car. Cmon people, COMMON SENSE!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 01:39 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break your ankle in two spots and dislocate it to make sure and get a handycap tag. Great parking, almost worth the agony.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Also, there is no way that a driver of a C4 cab could put the beat down on me, unless maybe you use your purse. Dream on.
Happy to ride my Harley over to do the job if it would make you feel more manly. BTW: I'm just kidding as well.

I believe that the "special" steps people take to avoid door dings increases the chances that they will get one.
Not for me. I have severe door ding phobia and park accordingly. 20 years, 50 cars, and still waiting for my first ding.

Of course, I do have 2 carjackings to my credit so maybe TDinDC is right and my parking karma is catching up to me!
Old 09-12-2006, 02:19 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parking is a complicated strategy...

It's preferable to park near a 4 door over a 2 door. No matter how big the spot, a full swing of a 2 door is going ot hit you.

If it's a SUV, almost always family cars hence you might have kids open the door themselves. Baby seats are bad too...parents have to swing doors out quite a bit to get them in there.

Minivan, are typically safest over sedans/SUV because the rear doors slide versus open.

I know this is contrary to popular belief...but I find that MOST people out there are careful and avoid dinging a nice sports car. Now of course, putting it in perspective, if a regular car gets a ding every month, a P-car might get away with every 6 months.

Conclusion...
I just park at the closest reasonably safe and sized spot, and hope for the best. Besides, add a $500 year ding repair line item to your budget and you'll all good to go.

I mean...I'm sure everybody here has a ticket budget .

From what I remember of the household income survey thread...it's not like the crowd here can't afford it. Gotta pay to play .

thanks,
Amir
Old 09-12-2006, 03:24 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

One time I parked my car in a pretty full lot at one of the shopping plaza here in VA and there was a space next to me that was still free. Luckily I was on the phone and still sitting in my car when this girl pulled up to that space next to me with a camry. Her driver side door was literally one feet away from my car. I looked at her as if she was f'ing crazy, I mean how the hell are you gonna get out of that car without dinging my car??? I immediately started my car and moved it to another spot. Some people got no brains or they just don't give a sh*t about other peoples properties.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:02 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by vove
One time I parked my car in a pretty full lot at one of the shopping plaza here in VA and there was a space next to me that was still free. Luckily I was on the phone and still sitting in my car when this girl pulled up to that space next to me with a camry. Her driver side door was literally one feet away from my car. I looked at her as if she was f'ing crazy, I mean how the hell are you gonna get out of that car without dinging my car??? I immediately started my car and moved it to another spot. Some people got no brains or they just don't give a sh*t about other peoples properties.
You slacker Vove. Quiet worrying about door dings and get your @ss to the track.

You mean you gave some poor girl the Chairman's evil eye? Dammmmmmmmmmmm Your'e a very bad man
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM
unklekraker
Racer

I don't drive it at all, period!...ahahahahahahaha!

So far no dings yet, it's a 99 986! i always parked to the last row of the parking lot or if I can't , I look for exotic cars (like what we all have here in this forum) or I looked for a minivan that has a sliding rear door....just like what Amir said!
Old 09-12-2006, 04:54 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

You slacker Vove. Quiet worrying about door dings and get your @ss to the track.

You mean you gave some poor girl the Chairman's evil eye? Dammmmmmmmmmmm Your'e a very bad man

I had to mang, she was giving me the "did I do that" look.

Track is somewhere near my future...very near..just don't spank me too bad with your 944 when I get out there.

Quick Reply: Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?