Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?

I am always very careful and look for an end spot so that I only need to worry about one side. I then proceed to park as close to the curb side of the spot to maximize distance between me and the next spot. Anyway, never fails, someone will park next to me and still crowd my spot by parking almost on the line of my spot!!! I am not an **** person, I just want to keep my Pcar free of door dings. Any suggestions? It is not always possible to park way out away from all the other cars.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Chris 996
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a shopping cart and put it in the spot next to you, even better is to turn it upside down...... most of the time people are lazy and won't get out of the car to move it... end result they park elseware... This only works in a parking lot where there are other spots to park.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:49 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Unfortunately, I travel alot and this happens at hotels. No shopping carts to be found. The part that upsets me the most is that I think most do it on purpose. It is like they think "I cant afford a Pcar, so I am going to ruin it for this guy". That is just the way I feel when I see it happen time and time again.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:55 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

I parked at the end of the lot on Saturday and went in to get the groceries. The nearest car was probably 15 spots away. I come out 20mins later and two POS are parked on either side of me!
I think most people park next to the p-cars to get a better look at it and they figure you won't ding their POS when you open your doors!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:46 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a beater and don't worry about it. Otherwise, plan on spending $200 every couple of years to remove dings. If you park in hotels, use a thick car cover to absorb any impact.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Patric F.
Unfortunately, I travel alot and this happens at hotels. No shopping carts to be found. The part that upsets me the most is that I think most do it on purpose. It is like they think "I cant afford a Pcar, so I am going to ruin it for this guy". That is just the way I feel when I see it happen time and time again.
A number of years ago, I ordered magnetic, styrofoam strips to run the width of the doors of my Porsche, under the car cover, for those extended periods when I left the car in my airline employee parking lot.

Seemed like a great idea at the time .... but my car was a 928, and all aluminum. Held them up to my doors, and they fell straight to the ground. I called to ask if I could send them back. Before I could explain, the guy said, "928 .... right"?
Old 04-11-2006, 08:34 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Not totally dissimilar to cars, motorcyclists have a problem whereby some people will actually 'sit' on our bikes to 'feel' them out. Can you even believe this insanity? FWIW, I have gone ballistic once when I witnessed this, as many Pcar drivers would be upset in catching a door-dinger in the act.

Anyhow, I once saw a message stiched into the seat of a Harley Davidson to try and minimize this type of egregious behavior. It read, "Do you believe in life after death? Touch this bike and find out."

Perhaps a similar sign could printed out on clear vinyl (like the material used for racing numbers) to ward off potential dingers....
Old 04-11-2006, 10:15 AM
KIYO_GT3
Intermediate

Same here in Japan.
I cannot understand what this silver owner is thinking to park so close to my car.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:18 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

Think twice about placing a shopping cart next to your vehicle. It might work, but I've also seen lazy-*** drivers simply nudge them out of the way with their bumpers, usually directly into the adjacent car. (Yes, I ran over and snatched it out of the way before it could do damage). It could be just a South Florida thing.

Parking waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there seems to be the only solution, and, as a happy bonus, all the exercise you'll get walking means you'll outlive the lazy-*** drivers.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:54 AM
1 PGH 1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is personal pet peeve of mine. Even when you park way out in the back 40 some *** finds a reason to park two inches from your car. The reality is that some people don't give a sh_t about other people's property. Someone in a parking lot recently walked into the mirror on my m.b. so hard they damaged the mirror - how do you walk into a car?!

Fortunately this hasn't happened to my p-car yet. But parking off in the distance is the best solution I've found....bonus is you develop a nice big grin walking up to your car (if it's still on its own). If my wife is with me, I drop her at the door and then go and park...she's resigned herself to that process.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:25 AM
aben8057
Drifting

I take two spaces by parking my Pcar on a diagonally, I only do this on the farthest end of the lot.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:32 AM
dom4471
Instructor

we suffer from touch parking here. people think is ok to nudge you car when they are paralled parking and because the nose is so low on the pcar they mis judge it and end up hitting the front end hard and cracking the paint work. invariably the offender is a 15 year old fiat which already has large number of battle scars. i now try never to park in places where this is possible and if parking in say a a supermarket, park with the rear end facing outward so people manouvering have better chance of seeing where the car starts!!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:48 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My friend keeps two LARGE orange cones in his 996. He puts them in front ot the bumper when parking on the street and puts them next to the doors when in a parking lot.
Door dings are another reason I never valet park my car.

some people take up two spots parkingther car in perpendicular manner. I think that's asking to get your car keyed. I like to park my car a quarter length short of the parking block or curb so that the next guys doors aren't lining up to my doors.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i'm not in the P-car, i try to park to protect those exposed porsches that i see. the suburban has a small porsche sticker on the back, so hopefully the porsche owner figures it out - the audi doesn't have any 'ID' but i think of it as just doing my duty....
Old 04-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Joe2000C4Cab
Pro

Personally, I don't think people *try* to park close to our p-cars...

For example, I went to get a sandwich last weekend. It's been something like 6 months since a weekend day that's not raining so I took the 911. I parked hella far away from everybody with an ample # of open spots between me and the nearest car. I'm in the sandwich shop when I notice a woman in a Camry come into the lot, circle around and head right for the spot next to my car (only inches away from my passenger door!) I run out, hop in the car and crank it up to move the car before she gets out.

She just looked at me completely startled (maybe it was the fabspeed?) but I realized SHE HAD NO EFFING CLUE THAT SHE WAS ABOUT TO DING MY CAR!

Let's just face it folks, PEOPLE ARE STUPID. End of story.

Quick Reply: Why do idiots always have to park so close to my Pcar in a parking lot?