996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just raced a C6 vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:58 AM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm in line with what most have said here.....Porsche not equal DragRace..!!!
I get these guys all the time trying to "green light stomp".....I have (2) answers first
my transmision is worth more than their whole car....second I invite them to come to a DE
and drive on a track rather than a street!

I had a chance to run with a Z06 a Roebling in Feb, I know a huge part is driver not car. However, we are both in the instructor group so it's got to be close.....we were both running slicks.....and I found that he could not (would not) keep up when braking deep or in high speed sweeping turns.....enough so that he lost enough in 8-9 that he could not catch me down the straight.
So it may be fast but it does not seem to provide confidence to the driver to push the car to its true potential.......end of the weekend he was sniffing around my car....and asked what I had done to the motor......Stock 3.4 no ecu work......with a few extras maybe 315HP (Muffs & Headers, etc...) Ohhh and a trailer hitch (to haul my track tire trailer)

I thought he was going to cry and he had one of those WTF looks on his face :-)

Results my not always be the same on tracks Like Sebring or VIR where HP is 80% of what it takes to get around the track fast.

If your going to race these guys do it on your court with lots of turns and lots of brake use......I'll put my money on the Porsche Driver everytime...why...because I think most porsche drivers learn to drive their cars..not just stomp the gas pedal......

Drag racing one...just boost their ego........bring them to the track!
Old 04-24-2006, 05:11 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Was his a C5 or C6 Z06?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:55 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

So it may be fast but it does not seem to provide confidence to the driver to push the car to its true potential.......

Well at least not to that driver. A C6 Z06 should easily beat a stock 996 unless the 996 driver is better, and that wouldn't surprise me since most of the Vette boys seem to be more interested in drag racing than road racing.

Last edited by fast1; 04-24-2006 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:30 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
The C6 has 100hp more than my C2 so it was certainly a good test for my car.
But you see, it isn't a good test for your car. When you see someone else on the street, you have absolutely no idea what is going on in their head. You don't know whether (1) they are an excellent, mediocre or bad driver; (2) whether their car is stock, mildly modded or seriously tuned; and and more importantly (3) whether they plan to really get into it, only do 30-60, only race until the speed limit, only get into it fast enough to f*ck with you (which is all I would do, at least until the next exit where I would "forget" to brake and watch them crap their pants).

In those very few times that I have both (1) been driving the minivan without the kids and (2) seen someone in a WRX, vette, or whatever driving like an asshat, I have -- even though I shouldn't have -- messed with them and laughed my *** off when they tried to keep up with a "MINIVAN" Have you no pride man? The fact that you are even trying to keep up with a MINVAN means you are a loser. Some of these guys couldn't hang with me through curves even though they were obviously trying to do so. Does this mean that the 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan is a "better" car than a subaru WRX? No. It just means that the driver of the WRX is a loser, and so was I for giving into temptation and messing with him.

In short, it is an extremely bad test for your car that is utterly meaningless and potentially dangerous. Do what you want but don't think it means anything when it just doesn't . . .
Old 04-24-2006, 07:52 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

TD, for DC folk what are the choices? The only two close (well "close") places I can think of is Summit Point 2 hours away (and a royal PITA because you have to do FATT first and who in the world gets Fridays off?) and VIR which is like 4-5 hours away. Are there any others (I don't count autocross...I'm not saying it's not hard, but it's just not racing in my mind if your average speed isn't at least 125mph, but then again I also like to watch oval track NASCAR.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:11 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by marlinspike
TD, for DC folk what are the choices? The only two close (well "close") places I can think of is Summit Point 2 hours away (and a royal PITA because you have to do FATT first and who in the world gets Fridays off?) and VIR which is like 4-5 hours away. Are there any others (I don't count autocross...I'm not saying it's not hard, but it's just not racing in my mind if your average speed isn't at least 125mph, but then again I also like to watch oval track NASCAR.
I hate autocross, so you don't need to explain that to me. Summit is only 1.5 hours away from Georgetown, and it has two separate tracks: Shenandoah circuit and the Main circuit. VIR is only 4.5 hours away and truly glorious!! Watkins Glen is maybe 6-7 hours away and it is also glorious. Then, of course, you have Mid Ohio, and that is only about 7.5-8.5 hours away, and really wonderful. There is also Beaverrun, and others in the area, I believe. Once you get hooked, the distances seem like nothing, and well, well worth it.

Are you a PCA member? If so, then attending the track is much, much easier, at least on the east coast. FATT is not a prerequisite.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:23 AM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

I'm not PCA, though my dad and brother are. I'm MBCA (thanks to a 1985 380SE which my dad would never let me track since he is under the impression it couldn't take it...it may be 20 years old but it's solid as a tank...I know I have more faith in the original expansion tank that's in it than I do in the 996 expansion tank and the bmw 540 expansion tank). Don't know how fun the 380 would be at a track though: 155hp, 196lb-ft, 3850lbs...it'll get up to 125, but that last 25 takes a good long while.
Is there a way to get into Summit Point without doing FATT?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:24 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I'm not PCA, though my dad and brother are. I'm MBCA (thanks to a 1985 380SE which my dad would never let me track since he is under the impression it couldn't take it...it may be 20 years old but it's solid as a tank...I know I have more faith in the original expansion tank that's in it than I do in the 996 expansion tank and the bmw 540 expansion tank). Don't know how fun the 380 would be at a track though: 155hp, 196lb-ft, 3850lbs...it'll get up to 125, but that last 25 takes a good long while.
Is there a way to get into Summit Point without doing FATT?
Why don't you start a new thread and I will answer all of your questions there?

Back on topic: Street racers look like tools even if they are not.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I hate autocross, so you don't need to explain that to me....
Todd - What do you REALLY think about autocross? Next time, don't sugar-coat it... just tell us how you really feel!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:19 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by gota911
Todd - What do you REALLY think about autocross? Next time, don't sugar-coat it... just tell us how you really feel!
I just get sorta lost, and frustrated in this sea of little orange cones, and it pisses me off so much that I want to mow them all down. You can't really push the car if you are not 100% certain where you are supposed to go . . . and then you only get a total of about 1.5 minutes driving for a whole day lost. I resist mowing down the cones since I track with the same great people who run the autocrosses. For the sake of the innocent cones, though, I have decided to stick with DEs/racing.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I just get sorta lost, and frustrated in this sea of little orange cones, and it pisses me off so much that I want to mow them all down. You can't really push the car if you are not 100% certain where you are supposed to go . . . and then you only get a total of about 1.5 minutes driving for a whole day lost. I resist mowing down the cones since I track with the same great people who run the autocrosses. For the sake of the innocent cones, though, I have decided to stick with DEs/racing.
Well, I have never tracked or done an autocross, so I can't make any sort of statement about either. I have been intentionally staying away from DE events, 'cuz I am afraid I will like it too much. I have a friend that tracks his '05 'Vette (at VIR and Kershaw, SC), and he is sliding rapidly down that slippery slope. I may give in this summer and take it to the track.

Did you see the race from VIP yesterday? WOW, what a finish from the "big boys!" Damn Pontiac finished 1 - 2 in the GT class.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:50 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ryan996
haha 50 year old guy in a corvette!! How typical.. The vett is definitely a mid life crises car. Although it’s fast as hell.
I attended a few Corvette club meetings a several years back when I had my C5. I was 40 at the time and was the youngest person there by a longshot. Most were empty-nesters, and they were a very friendly bunch.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:40 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you guys need to get off your high-horse and pull the stick out of your asses!
Old 04-24-2006, 02:55 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Some of you guys need to get off your high-horse and pull the stick out of your asses!
I will as soon as you pull your head out of yours!

For the humor challenged, I meant that as a joke mostly
Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I raced a Toyota Matrix today on the way in to work, spanked it thank you very much.

Quick Reply: Just raced a C6 vette