Sponsored by:

Just raced a C6 vette

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just raced a C6 vette

I have a 99 C2. Going down Mira Mesa blvd, I pulled up next to a C6 at a light, on the perfect section of road with no cross streets or anything in front of us. We raced twice.

First time, the light turned green I got the jump on him, and held him off about one car in front of him until he let off at the top of 2nd gear or so. Neither of us took off hard, and he seemed to wait to see if I was gonna race. I held him off though, so I was happy.

The second time, I thought it would be like the first one, but when the light turned green he peeled out and launched hard. I was a step behind but took off after him. He jumped out right off the bat with his launch to a 2 car length advantage in front of me as we ran thru the gears. I was very happy that I was able to hold position behind him and he didn't seem to be walking away. If he was walking away it wasn't noticeable at least. About mid way thru 3rd gear he tapped his brake lights and we both slowed down. I pulled up next to him and gave him a smile and a thumbs up, and he was a guy in his 50's with the happiest look on his face. It was a really fun encounter.

My C2 did very well! I couldn't believe I got the chance to do that, since normally all I get is ricers challenging me and 4-runners and crap like that. Normally I don't race anyone in my Porsche off the line like that, but it isn't everyday you get a chance to run with a brand new vette. That thing was faster than me, but really not by as much as I thought it might!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:54 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't try that against the Z06. He'll be to 100mph before you are out of 2nd gear.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup, you were playing against the farm team... try that with the guys in the big league and you'll be limping home.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:15 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Any of you guys ever ridden in a Z06? It not really the same kind of deal. Hot, noisy as hell, rough. I think the regular C6 is a more reasonable comparison to a 996.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not a fan of the Z06 at all, but it is fast.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Z06 will rip us a new *******....Gotta love North american muscel! Too bad no matter what, its still a vett at the end of the day.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think of all the technology and effort that goes into building Porsches. I drive home from DE events on the highway and relive the paces and punishment I just put my car through, and it just keeps on ticking and turning heads. The acceleration, the braking, the line, the exit from the corner, the way my body needs to be strapped to the machine because the Gs are coming from every direction, the notion that a few more mods will enhance the experience but make it less daily driver friendly. These cars are designed and made to drive VERY well on a tight road course(=skill required) right out of the box with a competent driver.

AND STILL....................SOME PEOPLE TRY TO DRAG RACE!!! I am sorry but if you want to do "that" save some money and buy/build the right car that is geared and built for that application!!!!!!! So you can dominate the boulevard and show everyone who the man is.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A similarly equipped C6 is clearly faster than similarly equipped '99-'04 Carrera in a straight line.

Good street run. Those are always fun against the right cars.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:31 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

These cars are designed and made to drive VERY well on a tight road course(=skill required) right out of the box with a competent driver.

I agree with what you say, but my guess is that the majority of 996 owners don't track their cars. So the occasional little encounter with a comparable car on the street is about all that will be available to these owners. Since the C6 and 996 have very comparable performance, the results of this encounter are about what I would expect.

As far as the C6 Z06, it's incredible. I have a friend who bought his several months ago at MSRP from Kerbecks in NJ. They did charge him something like $500 for Dealer prep, but the selling price was still under $70K. I only got to drive the car for about five minutes, but its power is unreal. The only negatives for me were the mediocre looking cabin and the exhaust note was disappointing. The 996 with PSE sounds far better IMO.

Apparently the word is out on the Z06. I thought almost everyone would confuse it with the C6 but when we stopped for gas on the NJ turnpike, several people stopped by to ask about the car.

One thing's for certain. If you value performance above all else and have $70K, you can't go wrong with this car. Also, unlike other American cars the C6 Z06 is holding its value extraordinarily well . My friend got a call from a Dealer who offered him MSRP for his four month old Z with 2500 miles on the odometer.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Livefreeandrive
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreed, Back in 1999 there was an article in the NY Times (my least favorite source) about three cars. The Vette, the 993, and the 355 spyder. In just about every analysis, the Vette won hands down for half the price. My boss back then owned an example of each car in the article. In one day I drove all three and in the end, the thing I remebered the most was how easy the Vette radio was to operate since it was the same one in the rental I drove thaqt week. The second thing I really remebered is= I NEED TO BUY A 993!!!!!!!!!!=great car!
Steve
Old 04-22-2006, 11:14 PM
mundman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
I'm not a fan of the Z06 at all, but it is fast.
How can you not be a fan? Except for the fact that it is a Chevy, It's a great car- and at a bargain!!! Don't get me wrong. I love my P-car and my next car will be a 997 but the Z06 is one hell of a ride!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 04:22 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Livefreeandrive
The Vette, the 993, and the 355 spyder...My boss back then owned an example of each car in the article.
Do you still know your old boss, and do you think he would be interested in selling the F355 Spyder?
Old 04-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got a ride in a new z06 last weekend, incredible. the americans finally made a proper car.

still a bit rough around the edges though.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:53 AM
997driver
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the z06 really is an astounding performer but the fit and finish isn't so top bar. I tried keeping up with one just last night entering the freeway and that thing was just pulling away starting from the entarance that went in a half circle going out onto the freeway. Needless to say I was put to shame by detroit muscle. o well, i'll just keep telling myself that at the end of the night i still have a porsche and he still has a chevy.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Needless to say I was put to shame by detroit muscle. o well, i'll just keep telling myself that at the end of the night i still have a porsche and he still has a chevy

Actually a car's logo doesn't impress me much, i.e., I don't care if it's a Chevy or Porsche. What does impress me is a car's performance, and also the Dealer's performance. Unfortunately the two Chevy Dealers near me are the pits. There's no way that I could see myself getting my $70K car seviced at either of these Dealers. I'd much rather take it to a gasoline station for sevice. So any time I seriously consider buying a C6 Z06, a trip to my local Chevy Dealer quickly brings me back to my senses.

Last edited by fast1; 04-23-2006 at 08:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Just raced a C6 vette