Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Did anyone read "How to drive a 911 properly" in Porsche World Mag?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:39 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by saphriel
If you happen to lift in a high-speed sweeper, how do you recover if the rear starts to get loose? I suppose getting on the throttle (to press the rear end) is the key, but I've heard differing opinions on how to do this quickly (too slow on the throttle= you will oversteer & crash, too fast & hard on the throttle = you will power oversteer & crash).
Then there's my race instructor, who says you should really come in to a turn slow and exit fast, regardless of what kind of turn it is. So braking hard & progressively and in as short a distance as possible before the turn (+ a little trailbraking) is what you really want. But then, how do you handle descending radius turns?
What do you guys think?
I haven't taken my car to a high speed track to find out yet, but any advice from you guys who've tracked your cars would be great!
Many times instructors say things that are right for the student and for the situation but not necessarily right in the long run. A prime example is "you need to get all your braking done in a straight line." That's probably good advice for your first few times on the track but isn't the right long-term answer. Slow in - fast out was probably what your instruction thought was the best advice at the moment. He/she will likely update that advice as you get more experience. Actually I know nothing about your situation so I'm just guessing.

If you lift in a corner or if your back breaks loose for whatever reason, I think the right answer is gentle throttle and soft hands. Don't do anything too abrupt. Squeeze the throttle and gently turn into the oversteer. Praying can't hurt either.
Jim
Old 05-02-2006, 02:53 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks that was really informative! And my situation is total novice so what you're saying makes total sense.
I think the tough part right now is dealing with the fact that gentle throttle and smooth hands is pretty hard for me to do at even moderate speed - the pros make it look so easy driving fast.

Regards,
-Joe

Originally Posted by JimB
Many times instructors say things that are right for the student and for the situation but not necessarily right in the long run. A prime example is "you need to get all your braking done in a straight line." That's probably good advice for your first few times on the track but isn't the right long-term answer. Slow in - fast out was probably what your instruction thought was the best advice at the moment. He/she will likely update that advice as you get more experience. Actually I know nothing about your situation so I'm just guessing.

If you lift in a corner or if your back breaks loose for whatever reason, I think the right answer is gentle throttle and soft hands. Don't do anything too abrupt. Squeeze the throttle and gently turn into the oversteer. Praying can't hurt either.
Jim
Old 05-02-2006, 10:02 AM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

Here is a link to Part 3 of the article, and an order form to buy the entire reprint:

http://www.chpltd.com/911_porsche_world/911pt3.html
Old 05-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Jaime Costa
2nd Gear

I read the mentioned article and was not at all inpressed: it was full of vulgata and wrong thruths!
The expert seems not such an expert after all...
A few comments on the subject (not the article, it is not worth it):
1. 911 C2 and C4 driving is very different, therefore suggestions or recommendations have to take this into account
2. generally speaking: slow-in fast out is the best approach
3. always brake while on the straight line; start turning after you leave the brakes; doing otherwise only when you can safely and quickly compensate for the slide that will be induced by braking while turning
4. lift-off at mid turn can be very helpful if you do it very delictely, not abruptly; better leave this to the experienced and skilled driver; yeah, that's true one can be an experienced driver but not a skilled driver!...
5. lift-off has different consequences on a C2 and on a C4 while for instance in a Boxster it does not have almost any effect because of mass distribution and central engine (I am not talking about brutal lift-off)
Always drive safely and avoid the landscape :
Old 05-04-2006, 11:21 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaime Costa
3. always brake while on the straight line; start turning after you leave the brakes; doing otherwise only when you can safely and quickly compensate for the slide that will be induced by braking while turning
And what about trailbraking??? If you practice ONLY this style of braking you mention you will never get your lap times down and use braking in a manner that allows you to shift weight more effeciently as well as get better turn in.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read the mentioned article and was not at all inpressed: it was full of vulgata and wrong thruths!
1. 911 C2 and C4 driving is very different, therefore suggestions or recommendations have to take this into account
4. lift-off at mid turn can be very helpful if you do it very delictely, not abruptly; better leave this to the experienced and skilled driver; yeah, that's true one can be an experienced driver but not a skilled driver!...
5. lift-off has different consequences on a C2 and on a C4 while for instance in a Boxster it does not have almost any effect because of mass distribution and central engine (I am not talking about brutal lift-off)
Jaime,
Welcome to the board. You'll like it here.

I have to say that your first post has me a little baffled though. You state your opinions as though they are fact but I'm afraid I disagree with almost everything you said. Here is my 2 cents worth.

1) Yes C2 and C4s are different but not as different in 996s as earlier cars.

2) Generally speaking, there is no general way to define the best way to go through a corner. Each one is unique and should be treated as such. That's what makes this sport fun. Slow-in/fast-out is frequently not the best approach. I would actually say that it’s a very poor way of describing what should be happening in a corner.

3) Only braking in a straight line is a really bad idea only taught to novices. I always try to have my students braking through turn-in on their first day. Think about what happens when you come off the brake just before turn-in. Your front lifts, your weight shifts to the back and your front tires have the least amount of traction right when you need them to have the most.

4) I agree that lifting to rotate a car takes some time to learn to do effectively.

5) A Boxster/Cayman reacts the same to a lift as a 911 just to a lesser degree. The mid engine cars actually rotate quite nicely.

No offense Jamie but people read these posts looking for meaningful guidance. I always try to avoid topics that I don’t really understand (you've never seen me post on how to wax a car! ) and try to put a little disclaimer on topics where I think I’m right but not absolutely certain.
Jim
Old 05-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Electric Lizard
Pinecone Watchman
Rennlist Member

Received 294 Likes on 182 Posts

Jim
This worked for me at a recent DE. I early apexed a corner, panicked and lifted off the throttle inducing the start of a fishtail. I gently added back the gas and turned - just a little - to the outside and my stock 01 996 C2 Cab recovered very nicely. I told my instructor: "I meant to do that".

The skid training I received at a Bob Bondurant course a couple of years ago really helped to instill what turned out to be really a thoughtless reaction. One important bit of advice: Keep looking where you want to go. That makes a tremendous difference.
Old 05-04-2006, 01:44 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Default Indepth M96

Originally Posted by Pieter Paul
I read the article and wasn't impressed. There was some theory about polar moment but no real tips. Just some old stories about how Jurgen Barth got a 911 side ways and brought it back. The author tried to do the same but couldn't do it.

Fortunately, there were other articles in th mag that were worth reading (specal on RS models and story about rebuilding m96 engines).
How indepth did they get on the M96 engines-worth the buy?
Old 05-05-2006, 02:39 AM
Armando Ramirez
Instructor

Well I'll throw in my $.02 on this one.

"If you happen to lift in a high-speed sweeper, how do you recover if the rear starts to get loose? "
Well you have to ask your self why it got loose to address the situation and be safe.

1) You were going too fast, yes this can happen! :-)
Answer: Keeping your foot in it is not going to make this better, combine opening of the wheel as you try to reduce speed, if your going to go off better to do it in a straight line under braking than with the rear-end breaking loose and your steering-wheel trying to steer you into a loop.

2) Pinched the exit of a turn and you rolled on the power too fast
Answer: Do a quick release and grap of the steering wheel, caster will pop you front wheel straight, you got to be quick but it works. (little to no lift or no lift)

3) You were off your line and you tried to drive to the apex and it required too much turn in, however, the front wheel did not break loose and your ***-end begins to position itself for a passing manuver :-)
Answer: Try to counter-steer with quich sawing motion of the wheel (NOT FULL Lock other direction), sometimes a quick saw will get let the suspension set enought to stop the rear from getting loose.
(No lift)

4) High speed sweeper (Fast in-slow out turn, like at the end of a straight) you turn in and you feel her get light.
Answer: open the wheel just a bit and do a little lite-trail brake with your left foot (practice this before you need to do it in real life you will find you learn to carry a lot more speed in the turns but it can be very scary on entry.....first time is a real pucker....) (No lift, control throtle while braking)

5) High speed sweeper ( Slow-in fast-out) these are the killers, normally you screwed your line, your early and your hot all bad combinations
Answer: IF IT IS SAFE run over the inside, put your UNLOADED front tire off in the grass and drive over the top of the apex and open up your wheel as soon as possible (NOT LIFTING or ADDING POWER). You know you hosed the turn get out of it and give up the exit. TOO MANY people are worried about saving the turn and NOT the car...SAVE the CAR, so what if you have to ease as you exit.

For all the ones I listed there are a million other situations, but I tried to cover what I have seen so many students do wrong over the years (including myself) and the safe way to save the car.

I look forward to the feed back......

Armando
Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 AM
stuart_w
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

keep this thread going guys, its really interesting for a track novice like me.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

/\ /\..... X2
Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

The "never lift" thing definitely doesn't apply to 996 C2's (which is my only 911 track experience). Without the GT-3 rear bar that I recently added, I had to lift abrubtly in some low speed corners to get the car to rotate. That has a deleterious effect on your exit speed. With the GT-3 rear bar set one from the firmest setting, I can now much more subtly throttle steer the car through most corners.
Having a pretty substantial amount of track time between a 944 turbo and the 996, I feel I can quite accurately state that mitch326 and JimB are definitely the people to listen carefully to in this thread thus far (FWIW). No offense though to anyone else that's chimed in.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:46 AM
Jaime Costa
2nd Gear

Jaime,
Welcome to the board. You'll like it here.

I have to say that your first post has me a little baffled though. You state your opinions as though they are fact but I'm afraid I disagree with almost everything you said. Here is my 2 cents worth.

1) Yes C2 and C4s are different but not as different in 996s as earlier cars.

2) Generally speaking, there is no general way to define the best way to go through a corner. Each one is unique and should be treated as such. That's what makes this sport fun. Slow-in/fast-out is frequently not the best approach. I would actually say that it’s a very poor way of describing what should be happening in a corner.

3) Only braking in a straight line is a really bad idea only taught to novices. I always try to have my students braking through turn-in on their first day. Think about what happens when you come off the brake just before turn-in. Your front lifts, your weight shifts to the back and your front tires have the least amount of traction right when you need them to have the most.

4) I agree that lifting to rotate a car takes some time to learn to do effectively.

5) A Boxster/Cayman reacts the same to a lift as a 911 just to a lesser degree. The mid engine cars actually rotate quite nicely.

No offense Jamie but people read these posts looking for meaningful guidance. I always try to avoid topics that I don’t really understand (you've never seen me post on how to wax a car! ) and try to put a little disclaimer on topics where I think I’m right but not absolutely certain.
Jim
Jim,
Thanks for your post.
The reason for my comments are 3 -fold
1. instruction by TAC driving teachers (www.tac.es) in at least 3 different occasions, including a particular course on wet-circuit driving; TAC has been responsible for running the Porsche Driving School;
2. some racing experience - karts, 24-hour Estoril, MG Trophy and classic cars races (standard, unmodified) normally with acceptable results
3. more than 1 million kms driving experience in over 60 different models, including 4 or 5 Porsches of which I owned a 2.7 boxster (for 80.000 kms) and a current 996 Carrera 4S cabrio (now 35.000kms)
Having said that I understand a forum is an exchange of ideias and experiences (valuable experiences, preferably) and differences of opinion are bound to happen.
I agree that one should speak of what they know but experiences matter.
And, excuse me, meaningful guidance from who? Why the particular expertise?
Drive safely.
Jaime
Old 05-06-2006, 09:38 AM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome Jaime.
Things you said are well based on

We are you from?

Quick Reply: Did anyone read "How to drive a 911 properly" in Porsche World Mag?