996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
targa996
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cable stretches with age - new regulator fixes it - just did mine - ~$250 for part and ~$250 labor (I guess I could have DIY, but no time). My window would still go up/down also - but just not drop anymoe when the handle was pulled. Indie diagnosed issue about a year ago due to delayed drop (or not dropping as far as it should - but I waited a year until it failed completely). My indie recommended Porsche regulator - there is a cheaper one available - but not good experience with that - given the Porsche ones seem to fail after a few years - I don't want to go with even cheaper Chinese brand !
Old 04-09-2012, 11:04 PM
RGrnwd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2002 cab it was the passenger door latch I needed to replace. solved my problem. Same issue as you've described plus I'd get a double horn honk when locking my car with the remote. Whe my indy checked the codes, my passenger door was not accurately or consistently identifying when the passenger door was open vs closed. Door latch has a bunch of electronics abuilt in to it which failed. Not too costly ot fix...about 170 for the part and 90 labor.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Fizgig
Track Day

Here is an unusual variation on this. When i pull the handle to open my door, the window drops to allow me to open the door. However as soon as i let go of the handle (even thought the door is open), the widow goes back up again !

If i slowly close the door, when it is literally almost closed, catch is pretty much touching, the widow drops again to allow me to close, or if i hold the handl open it also drops...

This is bizarre, anyone any ideas, microswitch or a memory issue?

Andy
Old 07-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Fizgig
Here is an unusual variation on this. When i pull the handle to open my door, the window drops to allow me to open the door. However as soon as i let go of the handle (even thought the door is open), the widow goes back up again !

If i slowly close the door, when it is literally almost closed, catch is pretty much touching, the widow drops again to allow me to close, or if i hold the handl open it also drops...

This is bizarre, anyone any ideas, microswitch or a memory issue?
If you search, you will find at least one complete description of how this feature works (including mine, with the replacement illustrated with pics).

Basically, when you pull on the door handle (interior or exterior), an associated micro switch droops the window. As the door is opened (and off the striker latch) the latch micro switch takes over and holds the window in droop. When the latch reengages upon closing, the latch microswitch recognizes, the window goes back up, and waits for the next signal from one of the door handle microswitches.

Having the problem identical to yours, I replaced the latch mechanism as a whole (mounted on the trailing edge of the door), including its built in microswitch. I am not aware if the microswitch inside the latch mechanism can be sourced or replaced as a stand alone.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 PM
mb2audi
5th Gear

Just purchased a 2004 Carrera Cabriolet. I have a different variation of this issue. My drivers side window stops about 1/2" short of the roof. When opening or closing the door it does not perform the auto up or down feature, it just stays about 1/2" short of the roof line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 249 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by mb2audi
Just purchased a 2004 Carrera Cabriolet. I have a different variation of this issue. My drivers side window stops about 1/2" short of the roof. When opening or closing the door it does not perform the auto up or down feature, it just stays about 1/2" short of the roof line.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Using the raise window button can you raise the windows all the way up?

If so then all that might be needed is for the window limits to be reset.

Consult your car owners manual for details but for some cars with the key to the on position lower the window using the lower button until the window is all the way down.

Release the button.

Then using the raise button raise the window all the way. Continue to hold the button down 10 seconds after the window reaches the top of its travel.

Release the button.

Repeat the above for the other side.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
mb2audi
5th Gear

Appreciate the suggestion Macster. Yes I did try that but it did not work. The window goes up and down smoothly just stops 1/2" shy of where it should (just driver side). I did notice that the "auto down" does activate when opening that door, but from a lower window position. In a nut shell how do I get that window to go up 1/2" higher ?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Might be a door handle switch has failed, so it always thinks the door latch is pulled... so the window is always in the lowered state.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
mb2audi
5th Gear

Except that when opening the door it does lower the window further which I am assuming would not happen if it was stuck in the open handle state.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mb2audi
When opening or closing the door it does not perform the auto up or down feature, it just stays about 1/2" short of the roof line.
Oh, sorry. I thought you said it didn't do the auto up or down.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:41 PM
mb2audi
5th Gear

I found detailed instructions on this forum for adjustment of window height through holes on the bottom of the door. I am hoping that will fix the problem and will post an update.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
mb2audi
5th Gear

I followed the adjustment instructions and turned the screw (farthest from hinge) counter clockwise.....quite a bit, with no change in window height. Back to square one.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:12 AM
zeeeeeee
Track Day

I am having a similar problem. I read the thread and it seems like I might need a new regulator, but I thought I'd confirm with you guys here.

Instead of the window going down 1/2" when you open the door, it only goes down 1/4" hence the top of the window rubs the rubber on the top. I can push down the window with my hand and it goes down 1/2" and when I close the door, it goes up all the way like it is supposed to.

Is this an alignment issue or I need a new regulator?
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by zeeeeeee
I am having a similar problem. I read the thread and it seems like I might need a new regulator, but I thought I'd confirm with you guys here.

Instead of the window going down 1/2" when you open the door, it only goes down 1/4" hence the top of the window rubs the rubber on the top. I can push down the window with my hand and it goes down 1/2" and when I close the door, it goes up all the way like it is supposed to.

Is this an alignment issue or I need a new regulator?
I have the same problem on my passenger door and posted about it last year, but ended up just living with it because I've been too lazy to troubleshoot further, lol... If you open it up, take photos- if you're lucky, it's just a bit of play in a bushing and you can reinforce it to fix the issue. Otherwise, you need to buy a new window regulator. Please let me know how it goes; I've got the next week off and you may inspire me to actually get around to fixing this.

If you do need to replace it, I believe the Part# is 996-542-075-04 (left) and 996-542-076-04 (right).
Old 12-24-2012, 03:04 PM
porsche-t
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zeeeeeee
I can push down the window with my hand and it goes down 1/2" and when I close the door, it goes up all the way like it is supposed to. Is this an alignment issue or I need a new regulator?
Mine did the same thing. You need a new regulator. Suncoast has them for $206. If you do it yourself, mark the position of the regulator rails where they mount on the bottom and the window in the clamp before you take it out. Also when reinstalling, there are window stops on the bottom rail (front) which cause the window to not lower all the way. You will need to remove the first stop (top).Thesr are the instructions I used - http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

Quick Reply: Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door