Sponsored by:

Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:04 AM
Troy R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door

Out of the blue my passenger window no longer drops down the inch or so when opening/closing the door in my 2000 996 C4 Cab. So basically it won't shut unless I lower it prior to closing the door because the window hits the lower edge of the convertible top. Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? The window still works fine when I hit the power switch, just doesn't do it automatically.
Old 04-27-2006, 09:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Troy - I think there was a thread on this topic a couple of months ago, but I can't recall what the "fix" was. You might want to do a Search on "window."
Old 04-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Patric F.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Window regulator.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:28 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the limit switches for the wind up position
Old 04-27-2006, 02:14 PM
Troy R
Racer

Thanks. I'll run through the old threads and see if I can't find something on it and check on the other items too. It's very frustrating that I can't open/close the door with the top on without having to drop the window down.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by an02boxster
I would look at the limit switches for the wind up position.
Originally Posted by Patric F.
Window regulator.
Actually, from past threads at RennTech, I don't believe this is either the limit switch or the regulator. There is a microswitch in the door handle that triggers this auto-lowering of the window prior to door opening. Past threads seem to indicate that this microswitch is the culprit.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:22 PM
frappold
Advanced

Troy:
I just had the same issue. Window regulator. Dealer quoted $400, but actually did it for around $300.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:26 PM
Troy R
Racer

Excellent. Thanks guys. I'll give Sunset a call this afternoon and see what they can setup for me.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:16 AM
vic33004
3rd Gear

I've got a slightly different variation of this problem. drivers side window will not lower. the switch will not lower it, the convertable top won't lower it, nor will either the inner door handle or outer door handle. it won't drop the 1/2" or lower all the way down. when i use the switch i can hear the solinoid in the door flipping on and off when trying to raise the window but not when trying to lower it. the voltage is dropping when trying to raise or lower it. does'nt matter if the engine is on or off door open or closed. any ideas where to look first?
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vic33004
I've got a slightly different variation of this problem. drivers side window will not lower. the switch will not lower it, the convertable top won't lower it, nor will either the inner door handle or outer door handle. it won't drop the 1/2" or lower all the way down. when i use the switch i can hear the solinoid in the door flipping on and off when trying to raise the window but not when trying to lower it. the voltage is dropping when trying to raise or lower it. does'nt matter if the engine is on or off door open or closed. any ideas where to look first?

sounds like the window motor. i have one for sale. :-)
Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
sounds like the window motor. i have one for sale. :-)
It could also be that the regulator cable has completely come out of the guides due to a broken plastic guide wheel. Best bet if it's a DIY scenario is to remove the door panel and check it out. The regulator's not hard to replace and while not cheap it isn't too bad as far as the price goes.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:25 AM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was going to search this morning for this issue. Glad I didn't revive an old thread!

My 03 coupe drivers window is really pissing me off. when I pull the door handle it does lower but when I release the handle it goes back up.

Is this the microswitch as well? Everything is functioning, just not the way I want. Can't shut the damn door with the windows all the way up.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:34 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth, I have the same problem as well. The owner of the shop fixing the issue told me that you can figure out the cause by trying to push the window down with your hand. If it drops, the regulator needs to be replaced. If not, he told me it is likely the microswitch.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by mse
For what it's worth, I have the same problem as well. The owner of the shop fixing the issue told me that you can figure out the cause by trying to push the window down with your hand. If it drops, the regulator needs to be replaced. If not, he told me it is likely the microswitch.
That's exactly the way mine was when my regulator went bad. I could hear it trying to lower the window, but it wouldn't move. I could push it down with my hand, and when I closed the door, it would go back up.

It's a fairly easy DIY - the hardest part is taking off the door panel without scratching the leather.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM
vic33004
3rd Gear

no squeeking on this one and pushing down manually does not budge the window. leading up to this, the window did it a couple times and restarting the motor cleared it up but no such luck this time.

i'm questioning if i should be going after the dash switch or the door as i'm not sure how the power for this is routed.

its odd that it is both the 1/2" drop as well as the whole range of lowering the window that is out.

Quick Reply: Window doesn't go down when open/shuting door