Sponsored by:

Advice on buying our first 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on buying our first 996

My wife and I were discussing possibly buying a 996. A quick look in our Florida edition of Autotrader has found many 1999 996s with Aero packages that look really sharp, in the mid to low 30's range. I know there have been issues with RMS leaks in the 996s and there have been some changes made to later model years that would make them more desirable.

Would like any tips on what to look for in a 996. We tend to keep our cars for awhile and enjoy them. I do all maintenance work on our cars. Any 996 models that would hold their value better than others? GT3s and TTs a bit out of our price range, at least at the moment. Really not into Cabs either. And has Porsche finally come up with a real cure for RMS problems?

Thanks in advance,
Constantine
Old 05-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Constantine,

Depending on your budget I would really try to get a 2002+ model. There were numerous changes to the interior and exterior that I believe make the car more desirable.

Also, really get a PPI done on the car, and if possible buy from a dealer if you're not a savvy about what to look for in a private party sale.

Good luck!!
Robert
Old 05-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

A 99 with aero for 30's sound like a great price to me. As Riad had mentioned the 02's had significant changes, but at the same time will be pricier. Yes, RMS seals have been improved over time, but it is a trivial issue that should'nt be a big factor in deciding which model year to buy.

The 99's have depreciated a lot and therefore may NOT depriciate much more, so that will be the best choice as far as holding value. No, Porsche has'nt found a real cure for our motor.

Do a PPI before any purschase, other than that there is nothing specific that comes to mind.

Good luck.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:36 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, PPI is a must and worth the peace of mind. There are loads of 996's out there in the low $30's. Don't buy the high price pristine car, buy the one with a few extra miles and maybe a small ding. You can discount more for those and you will enjoy driving your car more. It's easy to get **** with these cars and you can find yourself not wanting to drive it because it's raining or a bad neighborhood or crummy parking or the miles are destroying the value and on and on. A not quite perfect car will change your mind set and you will want to drive it alot, so what, the value won't go down much. If you store your car for 1/2 the year it is more palatable to have a smaller investment sitting there waiting for spring. Caution: These cars can become addictive, Beware
Old 05-08-2006, 02:40 PM
mjet
Instructor

I agree with Robert get a 02+ and have a PPI done. Missmy993 also makes an excellent point. The P-car was made to be DRIVEN!
Old 05-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Seal
Advanced

PPI is good advice. Also look for full service history, paint work that can't be explained with documents and a color/options you want.

I have '99 996s and I'm very happy. I disagree on getting 02+ but I will admit I'm biased. An 02+ didn't make sense for me from a value point of view and depreciation is hitting those very hard because of the 997 (which by the way is also becoming available used). 996 was sold in Europe from late 1997 onwards so by the time they got to the States (in late 1998 as a 1999 model), the first updates had already been done. RMS leaks are an issue for all 996s (including 02+) and chances are the cars you look at will have RMS replaced at least once. RMS has negatively effected the reputation on 996s but compared to 993s and 964s which had more serious issues (valve guides and headleaks respectively), an RMS is cheap to do ($1000 vs triple that for 993/964 problems).

Good luck, take your time in finding the right car for you.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get a 99 and upgrade the fenders, bumper and headlight to a 02-04 cost you about 5K for the upgrade and the rest interiorwise is about the same....okay so you don't have a glove compartment ( I don't wear gloves anyway) and there might be a couple of modifications (steeringwheel etc) BUT an 02 will also be around 50K....
Old 05-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Thanks everyone! Good information from a group that seems to be really into these cars. A little surprised at the responses for the 99 996s, so we will keep them on our list. Will be looking forward to joining the 996 group soon.

Constantine
Old 05-08-2006, 07:02 PM
rayng
Rennlist Member

Constantine, I think the best thing you can do is to spend some time reading this forum. The guys here are generally very smart, knowledgable and nice. Take lots of test drives as well.

In addition to getting PPI, get an extended warranty and join PCA for discounts on parts. I got a 7year 72k extended warranty on my 01 c2 for $1,800 from carmax. I did end up paying more for the car, but ended up with some peace of mind.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:00 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 99's. The model year much maligned for really no reason and does not deserve the bad reputation. You just have to know that there are some significant differences from even the 00-01 cars. Interior, e-gas, the ability to have PSM and some others.

My thoughts on buying a used Porsche are somewhat different than some of the advice you have received here. Obviously whatever you decide to buy get it inspected by a qualified mechanic/shop and be thorough with what you want them to inspect prior to the inspection and the cost for such an inspection.

While cost and price are very important to me (which is one reason I have always bought used Porsches) I don’t like to price shop for a Porsche. I have found you get what you pay for. You need to determine what is important to you and how you will drive the car. I also don’t think low mileage necessarily equates to a better car nor a better taken care of car. Prioritize the options and the model year want (within reason considering your budget). Then look for the car with what you want and then negotiate the best deal on the car you want. If you look at cars based on price first I think you will end up either getting a car that does have what you want on it or getting a car that may not be in the best condition. Pay particular attention to possible expensive maintenance items that have been delayed or are looming in the near future (tire condition, brakes, major services, etc.).

Good luck in your search.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:46 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Thank you for your thoughts Rayng and Brian! Currently on the prowl and from the responses above I am more comfortable with getting a 996. I have been haunting this list for awhile and have gleaned a lot of information. Time to really dig in and get to know what I'm after.

Thanks again,
Constantine
Old 05-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bet
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 99's. The model year much maligned for really no reason and does not deserve the bad reputation. You just have to know that there are some significant differences from even the 00-01 cars. Interior, e-gas, the ability to have PSM and some others.

My thoughts on buying a used Porsche are somewhat different than some of the advice you have received here. Obviously whatever you decide to buy get it inspected by a qualified mechanic/shop and be thorough with what you want them to inspect prior to the inspection and the cost for such an inspection.

While cost and price are very important to me (which is one reason I have always bought used Porsches) I don’t like to price shop for a Porsche. I have found you get what you pay for. You need to determine what is important to you and how you will drive the car. I also don’t think low mileage necessarily equates to a better car nor a better taken care of car. Prioritize the options and the model year want (within reason considering your budget). Then look for the car with what you want and then negotiate the best deal on the car you want. If you look at cars based on price first I think you will end up either getting a car that does have what you want on it or getting a car that may not be in the best condition. Pay particular attention to possible expensive maintenance items that have been delayed or are looming in the near future (tire condition, brakes, major services, etc.).

Good luck in your search.
I agree. I have a 02 996TT and was looking for a track car or something for DE. I recently picked up a 99 C2 and could not be happier with it. Could not see the extra value of the 02 for the big increase in price. From a pure value standpoint it's hard to beat the 99's.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Patric F.
Instructor

Default I agree.

Originally Posted by Truble10
I agree. I have a 02 996TT and was looking for a track car or something for DE. I recently picked up a 99 C2 and could not be happier with it. Could not see the extra value of the 02 for the big increase in price. From a pure value standpoint it's hard to beat the 99's.
I have a MY99 and love it. Best value for the buck out there if you do a bit of research and buy a well inspected car.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:56 PM
salomon
Advanced

I bought a '99 996 in 2003 and it has been great. Just check for the usual problems...RMS, Coolant Tank, Seat Belt/ABS light trigger.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:40 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a Carfax and make sure they are clean. Check for all the decals on the doors, door jams, bumpers and especially the options decal under the trunk lid. Make sure it has the books and service records. It should have 2 keys with remotes and an emergency key. These are the basics. There is no point in going further to look at the mechnical condition if the history is not good to start with. If they don't have the books, keys or records; then why not and where are they? Always walk away from cars the dealers talk about how great the car drives, but are reluctant to have you drive.

Quick Reply: Advice on buying our first 996