Sponsored by:

Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 05:05 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post

I previously mentioned that I purchased an after market warranty that was recommended by the dealer. I took my car in for *minor* repairs that included tightening up some loose rattle points and fixing the passenger seat electric motor. Turns out there was an engine oil leak that needed fixing as well (not RMS luckily).

I picked up the car today, and the total repair cost was $2300+. The total out of pocket for me was $50.00 (just my deductible). The warranty paid for everything that needed fixing, including replacing the passenger seat frame (turns out it wasn't the seat motor).

I was a little worried that there would be a serious bill for minor work (turns out this was true) and that I would be stuck with most of it (turns out this was not true ).

I had no hassles from the dealer and no issues from the warranty company. Overall as pleasant an experience as you could expect from a service center.

One last note: just this one trip to the service center almost paid for the 48 mo/ 48,000 mile warranty I bought.

-td

PS: Just for the record - I don't think that all the rattle points are fixed, and honestly I don't think they ever will be... lol.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:37 PM
delirium
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which warranty co. did you go with?
Old 05-22-2006, 08:41 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

c'mon give it up... We want the name....
Old 05-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Gator911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get an aftermarket warranty, is there a minimum period of time you need to be on-board till your first claim?

Also, which company? Im not finding anywhere that wants to do a 99

-Keith
Old 05-22-2006, 08:52 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gator911
If you get an aftermarket warranty, is there a minimum period of time you need to be on-board till your first claim?

-Keith
The plan is "Total Protection Plan" by Prizm, backed by Lyndon Property Insurance Company.

My car had under 40K when I got it, and with low miles, the warranty ran me around $3,000.

I think that they will warranty just about any car with low miles, regardless of year (mine is a 2000). Keep in mind I bought through a P-car dealer.

Also, I've had the car one month.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't call around my local Porsche dealer...but I found it here...if anybody is interested....
http://www.autospamedford.com/warranty.htm

Prizm has a whole bunch of plans...Supreme, Deluxe, Enhanced, Powertrain Plus, Wrap...which one did you get?

thanks,
Amir

Last edited by AmirShaikh; 06-27-2006 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

WOW your warranty company is much better than mine... When I bougth this car from my Bro-in-law, the extended warranty he bought was luckily transferrable for $50. The company name is WarranTech and they have different plans like yours but I have a $200 deductible Last week, for the first time, I took my car in to the dealer for coolant expansion tank replacement and they found that my seat control module was faulty, then the ignition switch was bad. Altogether the bill came out to be more than $2500. I am so glad I had the warranty even with $200 deductible My Bro-in-law bought this extended warranty for $2800 (5 yr/100k) from the dealer when he got the car used. Luckily I still have 3 more years to go To all new potential owners get a CPO cars or an extended warranty.

BTW I also had a bad rattle noise on rough pavements and the Tech found a loose passenger speaker mounts. Now the rattle is gone, it's great. Have yours checked for looseness...
Cheers,
Old 06-28-2006, 04:36 PM
BBHelms
Instructor

Anyone had experience with AA AutoWarranty?

http://www.aaautowarranty.com/program.asp?id=109391
Old 09-23-2006, 11:49 PM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by td873
One last note: just this one trip to the service center almost paid for the 48 mo/ 48,000 mile warranty I bought.

-td
How many miles on your car now and when you bought the warranty? Isn't 48 mo/48,000 miles warranty you're mentioning above same as the factory warranty coverage period or do you mean that is the new coverage period?

It sounds like it is worth the cost to buy extended warranty. My 01 C2 factory warranty expired, and my car has only 22K miles.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:10 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJB236
How many miles on your car now and when you bought the warranty? Isn't 48 mo/48,000 miles warranty you're mentioning above same as the factory warranty coverage period or do you mean that is the new coverage period?

It sounds like it is worth the cost to buy extended warranty. My 01 C2 factory warranty expired, and my car has only 22K miles.
I bought this P-car (2000 C2) in April 2006, and got 48/48,000 from that date. So, it's an ADDITIONAL 4 years of coverage. I'm failry certain that Porsche doesn't have a 10 year warranty, so this is a supplemental coverage - rather than the factory warranty coverage period.

-td
Old 09-24-2006, 12:50 AM
JJB236
Racer

Originally Posted by td873
I bought this P-car (2000 C2) in April 2006, and got 48/48,000 from that date. So, it's an ADDITIONAL 4 years of coverage. I'm failry certain that Porsche doesn't have a 10 year warranty, so this is a supplemental coverage - rather than the factory warranty coverage period.

-td
That's great that you got the extended warranty. So you have warranty for another 48,000 miles on top of your existing miles or next 4 years til 2010. It sounds like you have either Supreme or Deluxe coverage. What type of payment method do they take? Credit card or installment plan? I am in So Cal, I wonder if distance will be a problem.

With aftermarket warranties, can we take our cars to any dealer or an independent repair shop?

Do you know if there is a warranty where even wear-and-tear items like brake pad replacement are covered?

I have a 1991 Mercedes 300E with 188,000 miles, I should look into getting this warranty if they do take in high mileage cars. Wait, are they only for P-cars?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

It sounds like you have either Supreme or Deluxe coverage. What type of payment method do they take? Credit card or installment plan? I am in So Cal, I wonder if distance will be a problem.
I have the all inclusive one (but can't remember the name of it). I'm sure they take credit cards, but I paid cash for mine when I bought the car (from a P-car dealer).
With aftermarket warranties, can we take our cars to any dealer or an independent repair shop?
I always take mine to the dealer where I bought the car and warranty. I don't have any paperwork that way. I just drop off the car, and then pick it up. Everything else is transparent to me. They file the claim, deal with the warranty company, etc. I don't think I would ever take my car to an independent shop when the dealer will fix it under warranty.
Do you know if there is a warranty where even wear-and-tear items like brake pad replacement are covered?
Let us all know if you find one I know the DE and AX folks would love this one. Fresh Hoosiers all the time...
I have a 1991 Mercedes 300E with 188,000 miles, I should look into getting this warranty if they do take in high mileage cars. Wait, are they only for P-cars?
Not only P-cars, but the warranty price is based on mileage. I'm sure a policy for a 1991 188,000 mile Benz, would't be cheap.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:43 AM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by Gator911

-Keith

Try your local Porsche dealership. They will do my 99.

As for a minimium period to wait. I have read wait at least 60 days. anything sooner may give you a red flag.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:38 AM
pvanosta
Instructor

Default How about California?

I'm looking into getting a warranty for my '01 C4 tip with 45,000 miles.
It's currently under CPO warranty, which runs out in December '06.

It looks like these warranties are not available to California residents, which seems rather odd.

Any California residents wanna chime in on this one and point me in the right direction?
Thanks.

Patrick
Old 09-26-2006, 08:22 PM
RAC
Racer

Originally Posted by BBHelms
Anyone had experience with AA AutoWarranty?

http://www.aaautowarranty.com/program.asp?id=109391

Got a figure from them today;
4 years / 48,000 miles
$100 deductible
cost: $1905.00

copy of a typical contract:

http://www.aaautowarranty.com/bc_premier.asp

http://www.aaautowarranty.com/contracts/BC_Contract.pdf

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Warranty - Follow up post