Sponsored by:

GIAC/EVO Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GIAC/EVO Update

I recently had the GIAC chip flash and Evo intake done on my 2001 C2 Cab. Although I am pleased with the performance increase, I have had two "check engine" light issues. These were due to MAF sensor errors.
The first time happened at a track day, shortly after the upgrade. Fix was resetting the MAF. It then happened again almost immediately. Fix this time was to substitute paper filter for the K&N and reset MAF...so far, so good. If it happens again, fix is to install new MAF which is a $650. Cdn. part
Conclusions:
1. The MAF is very sensitive to contamination. Oiled filters and Porsche MAFs don't seem to like each other. If you are having this upgrade, I suggest going with a paper filter.
2. I was very pleased with the follow-up and service received from Pfaff Tuning (in Newmarket, near Toronto). They are a division of Pfaff Porsche where I purchased my car. Gerry Bachman of Pfaff was at the track day and was all over the car when the check engine light went on. He also arranged all the service visits to Pfaff (no charge). If you are having this upgrade, I recommend that you check out the capabilities and service support of the tuning shop carefully. Pfaff Tuning gets a big thumbs up.
Cheers
Ian
Old 06-01-2006, 01:38 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Paper filter your talking about it, is it a Cone Paper Filter? got any pix to compare?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:29 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zookie
Paper filter your talking about it, is it a Cone Paper Filter? got any pix to compare?
The filters are identical, with the exception one is a dry no oil filter (filter is white), and the K&N is oiled.
Old 06-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
The filters are identical, with the exception one is a dry no oil filter (filter is white), and the K&N is oiled.
No way i dint knwo such thing existed. where can i source one? So i guess the Paper Filter is better for the MAF because it does contain oil
Old 06-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the K&N is oiled. There have been several posts on other forums where it has been said that our MAF dont like the K&N. Use OEM standard paper filter instead.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:18 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Scouser
No the K&N is oiled. There have been several posts on other forums where it has been said that our MAF dont like the K&N. Use OEM standard paper filter instead.
Wate hold up, i thought you said there is a "Paper Cone Filter"? you cant use the OEM Paper Filter with the EVO INTAKE right?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 AM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Hello Zookie
I don't have pics, but PorscheDoc is correct. Replacement is a paper cone filter, white in color and is the same size and shape as the K&N. My source is Pfaff Tuning (www.pfafftuning.com)
Old 06-02-2006, 10:16 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

So how do you service the paper cone?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:22 PM
911mz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this GIAC dealer told me a simple GIAC flash would cost $1000 and claim to improve at least 20 hp (which I don't know he meant whp or hp) but anyway, my concern is that would that be possible to have 20 hp gain? What if I have the aftermarket exhaust, would that make a different as well. Since I won't do dyno anyway, would there be enough power to actually feel it? which is all I'm asking for.

I have a 02 996
Old 06-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

There's only two ways to gain any hp that you will feel. SC it or rebore the engine. In eather case it aint cheap.

If you want more horses you might start with the following before you go chipping it:
Rip out the spare tyre.
Rip out rear seats, carpet, radio and anything that adds weight.
Swap the exhaist for a fabspeed save 50lb
Replace the headers.
Replace panels with kevlar
etc etc.

Do that and you will probably gain 20 hp extra. But you still wont feel it.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:15 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The point of the K&N and BMC filters is that they are freer flowing. It's the over-oiling of them that 'may' cause a CEL as a result of the MAF sensor. Like some guys have said on other threads, a new K&N filter should be wrapped in paper and left overnight before usage. That will more than likely eradicate any concerns of a CEL.

As for the paper cone debate, I've not seen one anywhere. Who makes it? Moreover, the point of using the cotton-based filters is that the air flows through them faster eliminating any pressure build-up outside the filter and a negative pressure build (vacuum) inside the air box. If you're worried about any dust particles, a lot of reports that I've read on reports have demonstrated that the K&N and BMC filters do a might fine job of stopping just about everything except the air molecules themselves.

Quick Reply: GIAC/EVO Update