Sponsored by:

Removal/Replacement of CD storage in center console

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:17 PM
JHL1965
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removal/Replacement of CD storage in center console

Does anyone know how to remove the CD storage trays from the center console? I never use it, and would like to free up this space for additional storage.

Also, once removed, is anyone aware of an aftermarket product that can be inserted into that space? I am assuming that once the CD storage is removed, that there is probably a hole that goes back to the wiring, and thus, some type of insert will need to replace the removed CD storage.

I haven't been able to find anything on the aftermarket, which amazes me, because I can't imagine that a lot of folks still use the CD (or cassette tape) storage trays, given the popularity of MP3 players.

Thanks in advance for any information/assistance you can provide.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To remove the CD storage, basicall you just need to pop the console panel on each side and then remove the CD storage tray.

Not sure if you already have a cup holder or not. But you could move your HVAC control unit down and place a cup holder tray there instead.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

just extend (pop out) all the cd holders, and yank... it will come right out. no need to remove any panels!

you can purchase the cd holder insert from the dealer, it is ~$30. One of the first things I did with my 996. Good luck!
Old 06-13-2006, 03:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JHL1965
Does anyone know how to remove the CD storage trays from the center console? I never use it, and would like to free up this space for additional storage.

I haven't been able to find anything on the aftermarket
1) Search function should be working on Rennlist and Renntech.org. I'm certain this has been discussed, and is the subject of numerous DIY's. [I don't mind, but lots of members believe that redundant posts are annoying ].

2) Virtually everything in the interior basically pops of (little clips) or unscrews with a T20 torx (there are a few exceptions)

3) For the CD tray, just pull off the side panels (a medium tug), and then pull out the storage tray (medium hard tug) and the CD tray should then be accessible to pull out (light tug).

4) You can put in another storage tray - order it from Sunset Imports or ebay for around 20 bucks. Many people have double storage bins... Again, the search function might assist you.

5) Everything you pulled out, will just push back in. You can swap your CD storage for a new bin in less than 5 minutes.

-td
Old 06-13-2006, 03:58 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

FYI, if you have the OEM digital sound unit, it does need to be unscrewed first, but it comes out very easily. As for the side panels, like everyone said: just grab them from behind and pull out perpendicularly.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:38 PM
johnnyiv
Instructor

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
To remove the CD storage, basicall you just need to pop the console panel on each side and then remove the CD storage tray.

Not sure if you already have a cup holder or not. But you could move your HVAC control unit down and place a cup holder tray there instead.

How do you move the HVAC control unit down?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

JHL, if you're interested in selling the unit once you have it out let me know.

Shawn
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
just extend (pop out) all the cd holders, and yank... it will come right out. no need to remove any panels!

you can purchase the cd holder insert from the dealer, it is ~$30. One of the first things I did with my 996. Good luck!
Agreed, no need to remove any panels. Extend all of the cd drawers, grab them and pull. The whole unit comes out, takes 8.2 seconds. I installed a second storage bin (shelf unit) in place of the CD holder.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
JHL1965
3rd Gear

Default Thanks for the help!

I've always been a reader of the Rennlist forum, and it's always been a good source of information. However, I didn't know that there was a search function, and after going through 15 pages of topics without finding any related info, I decided to register, and post my question. Thus, apologies for starting a duplicative thread.

Thank you all very much for your responses, especially to rcg412 for saving me the trouble of removing the side consoles. I was amazed at how easily the CD holder came out.

I just got back from my Porsche dealer, and installed the $40 replacement bin.

Wow! Talk about a helpful forum! Thanks again.

P.S. Ubermensch: I'll probably hang onto it, in case I decide to sell the car, and the new buyer wants the CD holder. By the way, I saw one for sale on ebay this morning. Here is the link (not sure if it will work). Or, just type in "911 CD holder" into the ebay search:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-Po...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Why would you move the HVAC control down to add cup holders? I removed the cupholders to move the HVAC up, so I could put something useful in.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well... after 10 years of 933 ownership without a cup holder I bought a 996 just so I can have a cup holder.

Hope people see the humor in that.....
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 PM
Melchior
Pro

I put sirius radio in that spot, looks great. I will post pics but here is a stock example. I but mine from The Sirius Store.

They are currently on back order for the DIN face adapter, so I ordered it from Circuit City.
Attached Images   
Old 06-13-2006, 11:56 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
The whole unit comes out, takes 8.2 seconds.
8.2 seconds? You lyin' man; you ain't never met no Martin Luther the King.

Old 06-14-2006, 07:57 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by nycebo
8.2 seconds? You lyin' man; you ain't never met no Martin Luther the King.

Edward - Sorry, but I don't understand your statement. Care to enlighten me?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, Tim. It's a line from "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy. Maybe a bit of a stretch, but I was just laughing along with you in having finished your repair in eight point two seconds. Great precision.

Quick Reply: Removal/Replacement of CD storage in center console