Sponsored by:

Would you drive a Tip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 12:46 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Would you drive a Tip?

I recently drove a 99 C2 with Tip. It's a low mileage car with Aero kit. I loved it. But I can't imagine owning a Tip Porsche. To me, a 911 with Tip is not a 911. Am I crazy here? Any die hard stick shifter able to live with a Tip?

On the SMG, unless you are SERIOUSLY RACING AT THE TRACK, SMG is not really needed. I've seen my friend's SMG get put into "D" and left in "D".

---
anthony
Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a tip. Traded an '03 M3 SMG cab for my '02 tip cab - - I'm also a diehard fan of stick shift and my daily driver is a 6spd. I needed to keep something my wife could drive and she really didn't like the SMG. It's a trade off but nice in traffic. If you don't need to have a tip (because of huge traffic issues or to share with someone who can't drive a stick) then I'd get a 6spd.

(The SMG was MUCH more fun than the tip IMO.)

Oh, and it's still a 911! I enjoy it a lot despite the tip factor. For me a 911 with a tip is better than no 911
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03 C4 Cab has tip and I liove it. I don't track or De it, just everyday driving. My other P-cars had manuals and while they were also a blast I like the convenience of the Tip. My wife is more comfortable with the Tip which makes the whole ownership experience alot easier. In a recent Excellence they described how the new 997 Turbo with Tip is slighly faster that the manual.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM
P-Car fanatic
Pro

Nope

I don't like autos unless its in an SUV

I also think that the flat six engine characteriscs do not lend themselves to an autobox.

my $0.02

Also

My wife would bitch at me if I bought a tip, she like getting her hand round a stick.....
Old 07-03-2006, 01:50 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

As a loaner? Sure. As my only P-car? Nope. Shifting is part of the deal - at least for me. I may get cranky about it as I go 5' and stop, then go 5' and stop in rush-hour traffic, but I wouldn't have it any other way.
That being said, I agree that a Tip is a great idea for guys who need one hand to drive and one ot work the cell phone. If the wife drove the car, I'd get a Tip, but she has Zero interest in driving it, so there you go.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:02 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The current Turbo 997 is quicker in Tip than manual so I guess that would be something to consider.

Originally Posted by axl911
I recently drove a 99 C2 with Tip. It's a low mileage car with Aero kit. I loved it. But I can't imagine owning a Tip Porsche. To me, a 911 with Tip is not a 911. Am I crazy here? Any die hard stick shifter able to live with a Tip?

On the SMG, unless you are SERIOUSLY RACING AT THE TRACK, SMG is not really needed. I've seen my friend's SMG get put into "D" and left in "D".

---
anthony
Old 07-03-2006, 02:14 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
The current Turbo 997 is quicker in Tip than manual so I guess that would be something to consider.
In a straight line from a stop, yes. The ability to load up the torque converter before launching is a nice benefit of autos, but on the road or road course that's not much help.

Shawn
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

When I was purchasing, I considered looking for a tip just because my wife cannot drive a manual. In the end, I decided that, to me, 6 speed was the only way to go. I do not drive in a lot of traffic, and I know that is a consideration to a lot of people, but for me, the tip is just too house-wife.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:53 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am trying to convince myself I can live with a Tip. But it is just not working!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 02:57 PM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think what you're reading here is ONLY get the tip if you have a reason to (ie: drive in traffic a lot or have your sig other drive it and doesn't drive stick) - - if you're a stick person and convince yourself to get the tip because you found a nice, clean car with low miles, you are making a mistake and will not like it!
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Pugnacious P
Burning Brakes

MY C2 is a Tip and my Boxster is a 5 speed. I must say that I do enjoy driving the Boxster for a bit of spirited fun because of the manual gearbox, but when there is an an accident on the highway or some considerate driver stops on my a$$ at a stoplight on a hill I quietly smile to myself. Secondly, the tip on the Porsche is quite a sophisticated device and I believe it has 5 memory settings and adapts itself both to your driving style and the road conditions. I love when it downshifts for me... All in all, I originally didn't want a tip, but after driving it for awhile I have really grown to enjoy it. The tip also puts less stress on the RMS which may (or may not) increase life expectancy of the seal according to the PCA tech section.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

IMHO, either you're a stick person or you're indifferent. Would I drive a tiptronic Porsche sports car? Of course. Would I own one? Absolutely not. For me, this isn't about which transmission is faster (i.e. the 997 Turbo tip being faster than the manual); I'd still opt for the manual. I relish that direct connection with the machine -- the oneness and involvement you feel with it. I don't care how many hours of bumper-to-bumper traffic I have to live with; ascending hills I have to stop on; or how inconvenient it is for my wife; the only transmission choice in a 911 is a manual. Fortunately for me, my wife shares the same sentiment that the proper transmission in a sports car -- any sports car -- is a manual (even though she doesn't even know how to drive one).
Old 07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
JES1680
Instructor

NO TIP! As an American, I'm ashamed there are so many damn autos in this country. Everytime I see a nice M3 or 911 etc... that has an auto I think POSER. Right or wrong, thats how I see it. I do a fair amount of sitting in traffic with my 6spd, (up to 3 hours a day), but I could never buy a sports car with an Auto. Even if I were in the market for a Ferrari, I'd still opt for the lever. Sure technology is to the point that the computer can shifter faster and better than I, but that takes all the fun out of it for me. I've driven the M3 SMG and its entertaining, but I'll keep the stick thank you. By the way, my wife feels the same way so I don't have to fight that battle
Old 07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
Dan V
Race Car

"As an American, I'm ashamed there are so many damn autos in this country."

"Everytime I see a nice M3 or 911 etc... that has an auto I think POSER"

LOL you're pathetic
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 PM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member