Sponsored by:

New Clutch Feels Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Clutch Feels Light

For those not following my adventures in 911 ownership, I just replaced my clutch as part of RMS warranty work. My old clutch was operating fine, I just replaced it preventlvely on the recommendation of the service tech.

I've noticed that the new clutch engages much lower down as I let the pedal up (I was expecting that). But I also notice that the pedal feel is now light as a feather. It takes about half as much effort to depress the pedal. Is that normal? Does pedal feel get heavier as the clutch wears down?
Old 07-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, as the clutch wears it will be harder to depress the clutch in.

When I bought my 2004 C4S I stalled it coming off the lot because the clutch was sooooo light.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:38 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes that is nomal for a new clutch. Conversely, a "stiff clutch" is an indication that the clutch is wearing out.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Unlike you and I the clutch gets stiff as it gets older.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:31 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by riad
Unlike you and I the clutch gets stiff as it gets older.
I'm getting stiffer as I get older, but just not in the right place!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

YES, my new clutch also feels the same way before and after the replacement. Mine was replaced during the 30K mile inspection when the advisor recommended it as preventive maintenance. I am glad they did because the new clutch feels light, super smooth and easy to engage at any gears, I love it... Hope this clutch will last me a little while under my care heh heh :-) Good luck with yours and enjoy.
Cheers,
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM
m5guru
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do people think of my clutch pedal feel scenario?

My 2002 C4 has about 32,000 miles on it now. I've had it for about 7,000 miles. The clutch is engaging higher off the floor compared to when I first had it and there is a little bit less of a progressive feel, especially near the start of the engagement zone. This is somewhat expected from me as the clutch wears down.

The clutch pedal effort seems normal to me, at least unchanged from when I first starting driving it (as best as I can recall, at least).

However, the thing that is new and a bit puzzling to me is this: When I am being more "enthusiastic", the effort required to depress the clutch pedal goes down significantly. Mind you, I'm not doing burnouts from a stop or power shifting in any way, but running up the gears enthusiastically, shifting near redline. (Driving normally for most of you folks, I suppose).

Can this be an indication of air in the clutch fluid line?

And can someone educate me a little bit. Is there fluid around the flywheel/clutch interface? Or is it a dry connection? If so, what kind of fluid is it? I've noticed in the maintenance of the brake fluid, there is mention of flushing the clutch line in there as well. My assumption then is that the hydraulics, at least, have brake fluid in them. But does this fluid also surround the flywheel/clutch assembly? Brake fluid seems awfully thin and slippery.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-26-2006, 11:52 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I test drove about ten 996's before buying my C4S. Almost all of them, including my C4S has what I would call a stiff clutch. I don't think there is anyting wrong with it, I just think 996's have stiffer clutches than most cars. Reminds me of my 03 Bmw M3.

My Audi S4's clutch is very, very light in comparison.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:17 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess you guys who complain about a stiff clutch have never driven a car that does not have clutch assistance? Try driving a 3500 pound, cable driven clutch and see how long you can sit at a light before your leg starts shaking.

You want better control and feel for your clutch? Remove the booster spring and enjoy.

Quick Reply: New Clutch Feels Light