Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Got my finger on the trigger... (w/ More Cobalt Pix)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 03:51 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Got my finger on the trigger... (w/ More Cobalt Pix)

Went to see/drive an '02 C2 yesterday. Overall very nice. It had all the options I'm looking for -- including full leather and deviating interior combo (both of which I'm coming to believe are relatively hard to find on a C2) -- low mileage (18K), with CPO warranty through 12/07, and at a reasonable price ($49K). The _only_ thing is that it's Cobalt vs. the Lapis that I had in mind...

So I'm wondering if I'm splitting hairs here as they're adjacent shades of blue... The Cobalt wouldn't have been what I would choose, but it's not even that I don't like it. The two things I'm wondering about are:

1. "Flashy-ness" -- Is the Cobalt too "in your face"? I tend to be pretty low key and understated and am not trying to attract undue attention... (to the extent that you can avoid it in a 911).

2. Resale -- I understand that blue colors are not the "hot" colors that silver, black and gray are, but will Cobalt be even more difficult in a resale than Lapis.

I'm currently leaning towards pulling the trigger (assuming a PPI checks out) given that it's so close to what I'm looking for... Any advice/suggestions in general or experiences from Cobalt owners would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, here's a couple (odd angle) pics.
Attached Images   

Last edited by porsche_guy; 07-25-2006 at 02:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:29 PM
NSG
Intermediate

i've seen the colors in person myself in 996. i think all of them are quite nice. however, being in the market for a 996; i did notice a noticible difference in the price of the car. silver = black > blue > red > yellow in that following order. but i think at least for me, i'll be the person driving it and living with it so it's really a personal choice, esp if the car checks out well and the price is right.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Just curious, what color is the interior and the deviating carpeting? I have Lapis Blue with Graphite Gray interior with Metropol Blue deviating carpeting.

Colbalt is a nice color. It is just a little more "electric" than Lapis.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:09 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies.

Tim -- I was actually taking your lead -- the interior is the same as your's -- gray leather with deviating blue carpets, but this one has full leather (and I don't think that your's does). I quite like it -- but wasn't looking for it until you responded to another of my posts with pix of your interior. Thanks for the influence!

Any sense of the "in your face" character of the "electric" Cobalt? Thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:53 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think it would be as "in your face" as Speed Yellow or Guards Red. It is an eye catching color, and I think it is a color you would not get tired of seeing every day. If you like it now, you will like it 3 years from now, IMO.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:15 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gota911
I don't think it would be as "in your face" as Speed Yellow or Guards Red. It is an eye catching color, and I think it is a color you would not get tired of seeing every day. If you like it now, you will like it 3 years from now, IMO.
Thanks Tim. That's what I was hoping... and, the more I'm looking at it, the more I'm liking it (although I hope that's not just my mind playing with me as this is the latest potential acquisition...)
Old 07-23-2006, 11:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_guy
Thanks Tim. That's what I was hoping... and, the more I'm looking at it, the more I'm liking it (although I hope that's not just my mind playing with me as this is the latest potential acquisition...)

This might kill the deal, but I really like the color. I'm not one to run with ther crowd, so anothing slightly different is good. This shade of blue is distinctive and I'd go for it.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:26 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oreganet
This might kill the deal, but I really like the color. I'm not one to run with ther crowd, so anothing slightly different is good. This shade of blue is distinctive and I'd go for it.
Thanks, Oreganet. Why would that kill the deal though?

I'm just not looking for "Ticket-me Blue" or "Bling-y Blue."
Old 07-23-2006, 11:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Oh, I was just joking that others might not agree with my taste - I tend to be adventurous, so I'll go with things that might be slightly different. As I said in the thread polling the different shades of blue, I thought that the metallic teal color I saw earlier in the week looked seriously cool on the Carrera convertible.

I don't think this color will attract tickets... no more than any other p-car would - how yoou drive and the quality of your radar dfetector probably matter more.

A lot of people go for black, midnight blue or silver, but to be honest everyone and their dog has Porsches that color, step out and get something different. If the color looks good you'll do okay on resale. The main thing is that you go for a color that you like, as you have to live with it day after day.

When I bought mine I went to a dealership and he had a black one, a midnight blue, a white one and a silver one. He asked me which color I wanted and was shocked when I told him I didn't care and that I was looking for the car in the best condition with the best performance. He said he had never heard anyone say that before as everyone else chose based on color. I did a full inspection and test drive on all four cars

I bought the white one because it was in the best condition and had the upgraded intakes and exhausts. In the end, the engine sound was the main selling point. If I were making a choice on color and it were available I might have gone with the metallic crimson... although I have to admit that I'm really liking the white... nice and clean looking all the time.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:58 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

One other thing that just occurred to me.

I took a disliking to tan interiors. It looks to me like it doesn't age as well as the black or grey interior. For some reason tan seems popular - to me that color just looks a little more worse for wear when it's s couple of years old. Just my $0.02
Old 07-24-2006, 12:17 AM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Ya, I've been looking now for a 996 for about 2 months...

Through my search, I've definitely become more focused on what I've looking for... and I've looked at many cars that I've decided against. My wife calls me "particular"...

So now, that I've definitely decided on blue, the current decision point is how flexible I am to move from Lapis... and I agree on the tan -- another choice that I made/changed since my search began. I'm now ideally looking for either a gray/blue combo (gray flooring is too light for me) or natural brown (but also tough to find).

Thanks again and keep the comments coming...
Old 07-24-2006, 01:20 AM
vove
Burning Brakes

Thats a very beautiful blue, won't stick out like a sore thumb in traffic but is still very exotic. Im with Oreganet on the tan interior, it doesn't age well. I wouldn't think a color like this blue will be hard to sell later on since a lot of people prefer porsches in blue.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Ya, I've been looking now for a 996 for about 2 months...

Through my search, I've definitely become more focused on what I've looking for... and I've looked at many cars that I've decided against. My wife calls me "particular"...

So now, that I've definitely decided on blue, the current decision point is how flexible I am to move from Lapis... and I agree on the tan -- another choice that I made/changed since my search began. I'm now ideally looking for either a gray/blue combo (gray flooring is too light for me) or natural brown (but also tough to find).

Thanks again and keep the comments coming...
Being 'particular" is good. It means you know what you want and you'll like it when you get it.

I think that the cobalt blue will be a good buy for you.

I'm glad others share my opinion of tan interiors. At first I thought i was being crazy, but the more I saw the more convinced I was that they didn't age well.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:06 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my seven months of searching, it seemed to me that blue (any blue) had a good resale value. Dealers didn't want to discount a blue car. They seemed to offer me better discounts on other coloers, red, yellow, silver, black.

I really wanted Lapis and that's what I got.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
Nutbeem
Burning Brakes

I like the color - throw some 18" HRE's on there, and it will be lights out.

I like the idea of the blue carpet too. Sounds like a good price and a good car.

Quick Reply: Got my finger on the trigger... (w/ More Cobalt Pix)