Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My first $1000 in repairs... and I'm fine with it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:10 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My first $1000 in repairs... and I'm fine with it!

So a couple of days ago I get a check engine light. Great. Only had the car a couple of months and here we go already...

I know I could go to Autozone to check the code for free but I'm busy. I drop it at the dealer this morning.

Code is MAF they said. $600 to fix. Oh, BTW, your horn is only half-working. Another $185 OK?

Sure... just great.

All told I was $1009 out the door (including $199 to read the damn code).

You know what? I put the top down and drove 20 minutes home and I could not care less. Yes, I'm absolutely going to find an independent mechanic to save some $$ in the future but a sunset drive thru the back roads of Connecticut can make you forget about $1000 real quick. Damn I love this car!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:18 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I dropped some cash to have the 45k service, two new rear tires, alignment, brake fluid change, hand brake adjustment, and I felt the same way, it's the only money I've ever spent on the car is maintenance, no mechanical issues so all is good.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveFromNY
So a couple of days ago I get a check engine light. Great. Only had the car a couple of months and here we go already...

I know I could go to Autozone to check the code for free but I'm busy. I drop it at the dealer this morning.

Code is MAF they said. $600 to fix. Oh, BTW, your horn is only half-working. Another $185 OK?

Sure... just great.

All told I was $1009 out the door (including $199 to read the damn code).

You know what? I put the top down and drove 20 minutes home and I could not care less. Yes, I'm absolutely going to find an independent mechanic to save some $$ in the future but a sunset drive thru the back roads of Connecticut can make you forget about $1000 real quick. Damn I love this car!
My MAF failed in between picking up the car and getting it registered and inspected. I took it into the Porsche dealership and they told me that they could replace it, but because I had a K&N filter there would be no warranty. Oh well, K&N, evo V-flow and B&B exhausts make such a beautiful noise that who cares if it cost me $650 to get the part replaced and pass inspection.. cost of ownership on a wonderful toy.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

whoo-hoo! 100 posts.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:32 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This is a DIY. You can buy the part for about $275.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LVDell
yeah, I wish I knew that at the time and it hadn't coincided with an inspection.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:40 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by LVDell
Yeah... I saw that when I did a quick search earlier.

Problem is I already have a half dozen mods that I've already bought the parts for (red gauges, smart top, remote top, red calipers, etc...).

I'm buying the damn parts faster than I can get them installed.

Figured my time is worth more than a Porsche technician so I'd just let 'em do it this time...
Old 07-26-2006, 09:42 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by riad
...it's the only money I've ever spent on the car is maintenance, no mechanical issues so all is good.
Show off!
Old 07-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Yeah... I saw that when I did a quick search earlier.

Problem is I already have a half dozen mods that I've already bought the parts for (red gauges, smart top, remote top, red calipers, etc...).

I'm buying the damn parts faster than I can get them installed.

Figured my time is worth more than a Porsche technician so I'd just let 'em do it this time...
Yeah, but this one will literally take you 10 mins. The MAF is right at the front of the engine on the intake. If it's easy enough for me to do, then anyone can do it.... you just have to be careful not to touch the wire.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM
LiveFromNY
Pro

Originally Posted by oreganet
Yeah, but this one will literally take you 10 mins. The MAF is right at the front of the engine on the intake. If it's easy enough for me to do, then anyone can do it.... you just have to be careful not to touch the wire.
Nahhh... order the part, check the forums for instructions, come to the forum and post a stupid question, disconnect the batttery to clear the code, realize I lost my radio code so call the dealer, etc., etc., etc...

Trust me. It's at least an hour of my time so the $600 is a bargain (you have to justify these things, right?).
Old 07-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Nahhh... order the part, check the forums for instructions, come to the forum and post a stupid question, disconnect the batttery to clear the code, realize I lost my radio code so call the dealer, etc., etc., etc...

Trust me. It's at least an hour of my time so the $600 is a bargain (you have to justify these things, right?).
Okay, I guess so. I know I kicked myself when I saw how easy it was to change. The disadvantage I had was that when they said that the MAF had failed I had no clue what the MAF looked like. Now that I know what it looks like and I know it's as easy as unhooking the wiring harness and unscrewing it from the intake. The dealer charged me 45 mins for a 15 min job. I was a little annoyed by that aspect.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:05 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I showed my dealer a print out from the internet showing the price and he matched it. After that the MAF was two screws a way from being replaced.

Nonetheless, no biggie we live and we learn..

Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap you're worth a lot. If I did it myself, I would be missing an extra $4.85 out of my paycheck (after taxes).
Old 07-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

YES, this forum is great... We do live and learn indeed with these expansive cars. Now I know how to do the MAF if one day mine fails, thanks guys, heh heh Also I have never change my brakes before but after reading the procedures from others on Rennlist and Renntech, I feel a lot more confident to tackle that job myself. I think, if you see it done once, then it gives you a lot more confident to do it yourself because you know what to expect, that's my opinion. Also knowing that if I get stuck in the middle of the job, I can always come here and get some immediate help from the veterans
Old 07-27-2006, 07:55 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I know I could go to Autozone to check the code for free but I'm busy. I drop it at the dealer this morning. Code is MAF they said. $600 to fix. Oh, BTW, your horn is only half-working. Another $185 OK?
Sure... just great. All told I was $1009 out the door (including $199 to read the damn code).
My first dealer experience was also expensive, more than $2500 (coolant tank replacement, seat control module+programming, ignition switch), parts are expansive but labor is the killer at $150/hour, crazy!... BTW dealers are good at finding more issues with your car, right. Luckily I have full coverage on an extended warranty so that was my life-saver. If not, I would have to find a good indy

Quick Reply: My first $1000 in repairs... and I'm fine with it!