996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Small hiccup in the buying process...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 05:15 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Small hiccup in the buying process...

As many of you might expect from my earlier posts this week, I've been moving forward with purchasing that '02 Cobalt blue 996. However, there's been a little hiccup in the process...

I won't go into the details, but it now appears that the car, which both the PO and I independently confirmed through the dealership (that sold the car) last week as a CPO car w/ warranty thru 12/07, WASN'T a CPO car at time of purchase in '03 (per PNA) and so is now out of warranty...

So, now I'm wondering:

1. Should I walk away from the car? One one hand, it seems kinda silly to walk away from an otherwise great car (haven't had the PPI yet which just went up significantly in importance) JUST because it's not CPO. But, OTOH, should it be a red flag that the dealership DIDN'T CPO it when resold in 1/03? At that point, the car had been in service for 13 months. The dealer gave me the story that the likely situation was that the car was _so good_ that they didn't think they needed to certify it...

2. I'm looking at after-market warranties. Ideally, I'd like to purchase one through one of the two Porsche dealerships here in San Diego. The cost is comparable -- the two companies that are writing them are JM&A and Universal Underwriting. Anyone have any experience with either of them?

Any guidance is welcome. TIA.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:19 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Get the car PPI and if it it checks out then just get it. Gluck.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

get a ppi done. If it checks out, you're good to go. If it doesn't check out, then keep searching
Old 07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Will do. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:07 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

CPO is great, but not a deal breaker. There are good after market warranties, not familiar with the 2 you mentioned. My Boxster was covered under a policy with AAON. I paid somewhere like $1,700. I had an oil leak that cost about $1,300 to fix, which they covered. I then sold my Boxster after only 1 year of ownership and they refunded $1,100 to me. As you can see it was a good deal for me. See if the dealership will through in the warranty or at least cut you a deal.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:09 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

"...the car was _so good_ that they didn't think they needed to certify it.."

Yeah, that's likely. Get a PPI!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:52 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So the car is an 02 and was CPO'd in 03 for the 2nd owner through 07? And now the CPO is no longer? My guess is that you are buying this from either (a) a used car dealer that is not a Porsche dealer thus voiding the warranty per PCNA rules of the CPO.....or (b) at a Porsche dealer and they refuse to CPO it again.

If it is from a private party then the CPO is STILL in effect.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:11 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is not CPO you should get at least 1500 off of your previously negotiated price. Find out why the CPO warranty is no longer available?

If buying from a private seller, be aware which dealer is inspecting it. Sometimes the dealer may not disclose everything if the PO is a repeat customer. Not all dealers are trustworthy... Little stuff may be missed or played down as if it doesn't matter.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:08 AM
42empress
Racer

Why can't it be certified now, if it meets the criteria? Are you buying from a p dealer?
Old 07-29-2006, 08:08 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies.

Here's the situation:

- Buying from a private party who bought the car from a dealership in '03 -- but it was NOT a CPO when purchased (finally confirmed by both the dealer and PNA), therefore there was no CPO warranty and the original factory expired 12/05. The confusion arose because the dealership who sold the vehicle in '03 erroniously told both of us that it was a CPO car.

- Car is scheduled to go in for a PPI on Monday at a dealer which the PO has not used.

- If it passes, I'm going for it...

I'm currently considering purchasing an exclusionary 3 yr/60K mile warranty through the dealer (underwritten by Universal Underwriters) for $2900 -- of which the PO will pick up half. Thoughts?

TIA.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:04 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I walk away whenever I get a red light signal about a deal in my head. Being told that is is CPO to build interest and then finding out after it is not is an immediate red light. This goes in the area of fraud. If it was a CPO, it would have a certificate to prove it. If they don't have the certificate, they were lying to you from the start. If they lied about the warranty, what else are the lying about?

Quick Reply: Small hiccup in the buying process...