Sponsored by:

A wierd one... PSM and ABS lights come on

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 10:16 PM
sfirestine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy The fun continues

Well I got to desperation on this issue so I once again disconnected the battery and put the stock intake back on the car to see if I would get the two lights again. Sure enough, as soon as I got to the highway and opened it up on the on-ramp, at 5 grand the two lights come on bright and strong. I really wanted to put my head through a wall when I got home. I guess at this point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer to find out what codes the mega-bucks Porsche reader spits out. If it needs a new MAF, I'll replace it myself, but I've tried so much at this point that I really don't want to risk spending another near $300 for a new MAF online somewhere only to see those two lights come back on again (either because it's something else or the Porsche "special" reader/resetter is needed to clear out the codes).

I think I'm starting to see why I had two Porsches in the past and never did one single mod to them...
Old 08-07-2006, 12:47 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I told you several posts ago...your MAF is blown...no cleaning or resetting is going to fix it. You need a new one. Only after it has been replaced will you be able to troubleshoot (since you do not have the codes read).
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
sfirestine
Track Day

Post I know...

Thanks, wross. I know, I saw your suggestion about the blown MAF, but my scenario wasn't the exact same as yours. I have yet to get a CEL after the PSM Off and ABS lights problem started. The CEL I got was what I had it at the independent shop for, and they said that code was that the bank 1 longterm was running too lean. It was a few hours later on the way home from the shop that I got above 5 grand and had the PSM/ABS lights come on.

At this point I agree that it sounds like the MAF is bad and about to kick the bucket which I'm guessing is when the CEL comes on. I'm just not one to buy $200+ parts to troubleshoot without trying all the suggestions first, and it was suggested by several others that I clean the MAF first.

I saw your post on the same issue where you got the CEL after these two lights. So you got this with the EVO intake as well? Do you still have the EVO installed? And if so, has the problem come back since replacing the MAF? I'm very interested in finding out because I had been considering the EVO intake, but if it causes the same problem, I'm certainly not going that route.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:57 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought this problem with the K&N CAI and MAF was due to people installing the MAF backwards?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
m5guru
Instructor

I guess I'm not quite sure why everyone is so convinced it's not a wheel sensor. I had the exact same problem when I bought my car last year and it turned out to be a wheel sensor. When that was replaced, the problem went away. The symptoms sound exactly the same as yours.

David
Old 08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by sfirestine
I saw your post on the same issue where you got the CEL after these two lights. So you got this with the EVO intake as well? Do you still have the EVO installed? And if so, has the problem come back since replacing the MAF? I'm very interested in finding out because I had been considering the EVO intake, but if it causes the same problem, I'm certainly not going that route.

Thanks again for all the help.
Typically you will through a CEL after the MAF goes (and you clear the codes), but it can take some time. I removed my EVO V-flow, replaced the MAF and no problems since (this includes a day at the track with some boost). I had the dry filter, but I also have other mods which may impact the V-flow (hybrid turbos, Intake Plenum and ported headers).

I am not "ruling out" the wheel sensor...just been my experience this is typical of the MAF. Do you have the codes for when the wheel sensor failed? The ABS/PSM idiot lights don't really tell you much other than the DME is having trouble communicating with them. You need the codes.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:09 PM
evolvedaz
Former Vendor

Spoke to K&N. Here is the deal. We and they have sold over 90 units, we need to pinpoint this problem. K&N exact words to us is we cannot do it, K&N does.

So...my K&N rep told me that if you are having issues with the product, so they can fix the situation, send out a replacement, fly someone to see your car, or whatever they have to do, please contact their customer service number - 1-800-858-3333. K&N will document the problem, ask you some questions, then have the Engineer of the 63 series kit contact you directly to get the issue solved.

I have personally only had Yves contact me with an issue, most other issues have been with wrong install.

So please contact the CS Department so they can resolve the intake issue asap for you. If you still have questions, please contact me.

Thanks!
Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 AM
ianwallwork
Intermediate

A quick thought for sfirestine.

I don't know what year your car is, but there was an issue on pre-facelift 996s that caused the PSM and ABS light to come on and had nothing whatsoever to do wuth the MAF or any other engine related sensors. This involved an intermittent contact inside the brake pedal switch - the one that sits just above the brake pedal inside the car and switches on the brake lights when you press the pedal.

These things used to fail with great regularity but only cost about £15 (UK) to buy and take about 3 minutes to fit as a DIY. The reason this caused the PSM and ABS lights to come on is that both systems 'knew' the car was under braking by sensing whether this switch was operated or not. Broken switch = no PSM or ABS, hence the lights.

I'm not saying this is necessarily what it is, but there is a fair possibility, especially if you're not getting a CEL and your engine performance isn't going off. Certainly it's worth checking - the easiest way is simply to see if your brake lights are working properly when the ABS/PSM lights are on.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Ian,

Thanks for the input. Worth while considering.
However, this syndrome seems to be happening on at least 5 cars (from looking at this post) which recently had their K&N kit installed. Too much of a coincidence...
Old 08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
ckl93
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
I thought this problem with the K&N CAI and MAF was due to people installing the MAF backwards?
My thoughts exactly. My brother and I did this install together. He has an '01 Cab and I have an '01 C4. On our cars, if you follow the K & N instructions, the MAF would be mounted backwards. We ended up drilling new holes on the piece that mounts the MAF so the MAF was turned in the right direction. Weird thing though, my brother didn't get an CEL, but I did. The CEL was the ONLY light on however and it was a solid yellow. We ended up cleaning the MAF and disconnecting the battery and after 200+ miles, the light has not returned. Hope that helps you guys out.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

The K&N instructions misstating on how to mount the MAF? What is the best way to avoid this and put it on the correct way.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I just talekd to K&N customer service.
They've had this complaint before.

They told me that the negative connector to the battery needs to be disconnected for more than 2 hours in order for the system to totally lose its memory.
I'll just disconnect it for the night and report back tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:26 PM
sfirestine
Track Day

Post Hmmm

Sounds good, Yves... keep us posted.

On another development note, I got my AutoEnginuity code reader tonight and hooked it up. As I suspected, not one single trouble code is being reported, according to their software. Since the CEL is not on, just the PSM Off and ABS lights, I kinda knew this would happen.

I tried K&N as well and am waiting for a call back from them. We'll see what Yves finds out with the longer battery disconnect, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, on the direction of the MAF, I know mine is pointed in the correct direction. The air is supposed to flow toward the opening on the one narrow end of the sensor. I double checked with how it fits in the stock airbox and it is facing the same way in there (opening toward the filter element) as in my K&N install, so that should not be causing the problem.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:31 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

The autoEnginuity code reader may not read the codes...it is a good data logger, but not the best code reader...for that you should get the durametric software.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:02 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll say it again, if the ABS and PSM are on, probably nothing to do with the MAF, check your wheel and b rake sensors.

Quick Reply: A wierd one... PSM and ABS lights come on