Sponsored by:

Joined the P-Car Club!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:14 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Joined the P-Car Club!

I finally pulled the trigger on the '02 Cobalt C2 last week and have been a driving madman ever since -- all I can say is HOLY COW. I LOVE the car. Best car I've ever had. Thank you to all the folks that have provided their advice and opinions over the last couple months helping me in my search. Much appreciated!

Last night I put clears on the front and will swap the black 'Carrera' badge for a aluminum one (both purchased from Eric at BumperPlugs) as soon as I figure out how to remove the black one without damaging the paint... Any suggestions would be helpful.

The next two mods I'm thinking about are aluminum gauges and a SSK, but I think I'd like to settle into the car first....

I don't have any new pix yet so I'll re-post a few that I've already posted and put up some more when I snap more.

Cheers and thanks again to all those who have provide advice/opinions!

Dan
Attached Images    
Old 08-12-2006, 01:25 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Congrats! I hope that you have a good radar detector now.
Old 08-12-2006, 01:27 PM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

It's perfect! My next 911 will be Cobalt!
Old 08-12-2006, 01:29 PM
porsche_guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by oreganet
Congrats! I hope that you have a good radar detector now.
Thanks! I'm very excited.

I have a Passport 8500 on the dash -- unfortunately the SR7 went with the Bimmer that I just sold... I guess a built-in should have been on the 'next mods' list...
Old 08-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Botsy67
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Great looking car, glad to be 1st to welcome you I have the same style leather seats, interior color and yours looks super clean indeed, very nice. How many miles are on your car probably very low, right? Regarding the debadging, I am sure others will chime in to give you advise but I have debadged my E39 by just heating the badge slowly with a hair dryer and carefully pulling out the badge. Should be similar on the 996 and easy though. Actually my "Carrera" badge is not that tightly glued to the car so debadging it would be very quick, but it could be different on your car. Be careful, the "Carrera" badge looks very thin and fragile so very easy to break. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_guy
Thanks! I'm very excited.

I have a Passport 8500 on the dash -- unfortunately the SR7 went with the Bimmer that I just sold... I guess a built-in should have been on the 'next mods' list...
Ahh, you're all set, the Passport is a good model.
Old 08-12-2006, 02:16 PM
programmatore
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Congratulation and welcome to the board. Changing the emblem really makes a difference -- especially on a blue car -- and it is pretty easy. All you need to do is get a piece of dental floss (I used mint flavored, waxed, Oral-B ) and slide it behind the emblem. The emblem is stuck with a gummy, rubber type of glue so once you get the dental floss behind the emblem use an up-down motion to saw through the rubber adhesive. Take your time and try not to scratch up the paint.

Once you get the emblem off you can use Goo Gone or some other adhesive remover to get rid of the remaining glue. I used some Zaino polish afterwards to finish up the surface before applying the new emblem.

Note: My car is a 2000. The badge placement for 2002+ cars is different.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
porschedog
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 203 Posts

Welcome to the club. Nice car - good going. I've got the silver "Carrera" badge, too. It's a nice touch. Get out there and enjoy it.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:49 PM
Desert996
Advanced

Congrats and welcome. Cobalt blue is such an awesome color.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:00 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Hmmm...maybe I should have gotten Cobalt!! Dammit!
Old 08-12-2006, 07:09 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Really nice! I looked for Cobalt or Zenith....wished I could have found one as nice as yours. Welcome.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:32 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CONGRATS 1st the interior in full leather The alum-look peices are a nice touch and look really good on the dove grey leather. 2nd That deviating carpeting looks so DAMN good!!!!!! You made out like a bandit that color combo !!!! Have fun with her!
Old 08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
vove
Burning Brakes

Finally did it huh??. Good for you....enjoy.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:12 AM
MarkinMD
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche_guy
Last night I put clears on the front and will swap the black 'Carrera' badge for a aluminum one (both purchased from Eric at BumperPlugs) as soon as I figure out how to remove the black one without damaging the paint... Any suggestions would be helpful.
I debadged my Boxster a few years ago, it was very easy. I parked the car so the sun was directly on the trunk and let it sit for a few hours to heat soak. Then I took some dental floss and slowly "sawed" it under the badge. The badge came off in one piece (and is still stuck on my workbench in the garage). There was a little adhesive left, so I rubbed it with my thumb and most of it came off. For a final pre-wax touch, I used 3M Adhesive Remover (my favorite cleaning product!) to give it a final once-over.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:31 AM
QueenCityCarrera4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats! Other than my Green P-car, I think COBALT is my new favorite color for the 996. Mod-away! I am in my second month and the list is growing, not shrinking. I think the 996 might be one of the best cars of all time to tastefully mod.

Quick Reply: Joined the P-Car Club!