996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Insurance question/poll...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:17 AM
phwang20
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an Allstate agent - yes, there is such a thing as "claims frequency", but in my experience, I have never seen or heard of anyone get non-renewed because of all of the claims being non-fault. Meaning, 10 non-fault claims (glass, UIM, towing, other comp, etc.) plus 1 at fault accident in a time frame they consider too short, then yes, I've seen people get non-renewed. Even in this case, I've only seen a handful... and those were mostly for with people w/o the longevity. In your father's case, I'd venture a guess and say there were other reasons perhaps you don't know about. If there weren't then that bites. I have learned over the years (and believe me, I don't want anyone getting non-renewed...premiums = commissions = good) that insurance is no different than any other business out there: They are trying to be profitable.

I get the phone calls that go, "I've been w/ you guys for 25 years (5 years), make my payments on time (always coming close to canceling for non payment), never make any claims (I see over a dozen on the computer) and you're going to raise my rates because of one lousy accident that really wasn't even my fault?! (the guy got a citation from the officer and 2 witnesses say it's his fault). I give the same reply I've been giving for a long time, "yeah... your rate increases are what helps me buy things such as my porsche."

On a personal note... I try and stay away from comp/towing/glass claims the best I can. Rats chewed through some wiring in the engine 2 years ago and I ate $1000. I'm not worried about the rate increase... I'm worried about the 2 at fault accidents my wife could get into at any moment. I'll save my claims history for her!

Last edited by phwang20; 09-10-2006 at 04:09 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:17 AM
phwang20
Instructor

It's deductible by the way.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:13 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

One of my cars got keyed years back and my insurance company told me that was classified as "malicious damage" and a claim for that does NOT affect my premium.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:30 AM
tbill
Racer

Had a cracked windsheld (still do) from a rock. $1100 for replacement. Asked insurance agent about reporting or not. My deductible is $500 for comp. They gave me insurance company phone number and told me not to report it, unless I'm actually going to file the claim. Have 3 other vehicles insured with them also. Think I will pay all of costs out of my pocket as my premiums are only $1061.00 for all four vehicles every six months. (General Casualty Insurance Co.)

Quick Reply: Insurance question/poll...