Sponsored by:

Insurance question/poll...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 07:45 PM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Insurance question/poll...

Well as I suspected, I'm going to have to repaint after getting keyed. I was quoted $1,400 by a really good place that I've been to before. I think my deductible is $200 for comprehensive. Should I go with the insurance or pay out of pocket? I used to think comprehensive claims didn't go towards raising your premium but I don't think that is correct. Anyone know?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:10 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

I have made two claims on my comprehensive portion of my car insurance and have not suffered a rate increase. Prior to making the claims, I spoke to a company representative. Have spoken to your insurance agent?
Old 09-07-2006, 08:21 PM
signal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

obviously that is just repainted the portion that was keyed right? I ask because that is crazy cheap if we are talking complete car repaint.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:06 PM
WearyMicrobe
Advanced

I just got the check for ~5K to repaint about half my car so thats low, I saw no increase in my rates.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:40 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Of coarse you would have insurance help pay for it whether it went against you or not. Evene IF your premiums went up (which is unlikely) the increase would never be more than the $1200 they are paying you.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:57 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,745 Posts

I always understood if the claim is made against the comp., there is no increase in rates
Old 09-08-2006, 05:24 AM
CT03911
Banned

Default Happened to me- twice

Yup. Keyed not once but twice. Same side. No, I don't think it was anyone I knew or who didn't like me. It was my handicapped van. Did a repaint of that side after the second one. Guess people resented my family parking in the marked spot to get my sons wheelchair out. Next I got hit from behind. After speaking to the company they said if I get three claims in three years my rates would go up 50%... even though I was not at fault. Wasn't even in the car when they were keyed. If you use them for this event, and I probably would, be careful if you get another claim. It could be the old two strikes scenario. Insurance does not seem to work the way we all would like it to, ie hammer the guys who cause damage and suck up the expense for claims where you had no fault whatsoever.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

do it.
And you know, if it goes up just bump your premium to like $250 and it should balance out. On a porsche, $50-100 additional damage doesn't take much
Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
do it.
And you know, if it goes up just bump your premium to like $250 and it should balance out. On a porsche, $50-100 additional damage doesn't take much
Why would he want to bump up his own PREMIUM? Obviously, you meant deductible!

Last edited by gota911; 09-09-2006 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
996 Convert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys. $1400 was for the rear quarter and some blending on the leading edge of the door. The good news is I had a couple of tiny nicks in the rear wheel well and the edge of the door which will get taken care of.

I don't think my rate went up when my M3 got keyed and repainted. However, about a year later, I hit a truck tire tread on the highway which busted up the panel under my airdam and when I tried to claim it under comprehensive, they said it would fall under collision. It was under my deductible so I said forget it. When I transferred my insurance to the Porsche, they still had that claim on my record even though I never used it. Why would they keep track of a claim that was never used? That is why I am hesitant to ask any questions of my agent if I would not use them for the claim.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 Convert
Why would they keep track of a claim that was never used? That is why I am hesitant to ask any questions of my agent if I would not use them for the claim.
I once had to investigate with Allstate why they were not willing to renew my father's insurance policy. He was hospitalized at the time and could get to the agent. My father had his auto insurance with Allstate for over a decade. What I was told was that my father was being dropped due to "claim frequency". Although Allstate had never paid a dime to my father, he was struck by other drivers, whose insurance covered the damages. As any good driver, my father notified Allstate each time he was involved in an accident. This was in case the other party failed to pay, and Allstate would then have to cover under the "uninsured motorist" coverage. Although they never paid a dime, Allstate counted each of these occurences as a "claim". Since my father had X claims in Y months, his claim frequency was too high and he was not renewed.

The "good hands" people have one hand on your wallet, and the other on your...

Well you get the idea.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:57 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a rate hike after a comprehensive claim and I've had plenty.

Well as I suspected, I'm going to have to repaint after getting keyed. I was quoted $1,400 by a really good place that I've been to before. I think my deductible is $200 for comprehensive. Should I go with the insurance or pay out of pocket? I used to think comprehensive claims didn't go towards raising your premium but I don't think that is correct. Anyone know?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, they do keep it on record, I was told that by my home insurance representative once. So I went on ahead and made the claim.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. $1400 was for the rear quarter and some blending on the leading edge of the door. The good news is I had a couple of tiny nicks in the rear wheel well and the edge of the door which will get taken care of.

I don't think my rate went up when my M3 got keyed and repainted. However, about a year later, I hit a truck tire tread on the highway which busted up the panel under my airdam and when I tried to claim it under comprehensive, they said it would fall under collision. It was under my deductible so I said forget it. When I transferred my insurance to the Porsche, they still had that claim on my record even though I never used it. Why would they keep track of a claim that was never used? That is why I am hesitant to ask any questions of my agent if I would not use them for the claim.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Why would he want to bump up his own PREMIUM? Obviously, you meant deductable!
whoops.
late nights + Brett = mistakes
Old 09-08-2006, 04:10 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
I once had to investigate with Allstate why they were not willing to renew my father's insurance policy. He was hospitalized at the time and could get to the agent. My father had his auto insurance with Allstate for over a decade. What I was told was that my father was being dropped due to "claim frequency". Although Allstate had never paid a dime to my father, he was struck by other drivers, whose insurance covered the damages. As any good driver, my father notified Allstate each time he was involved in an accident. This was in case the other party failed to pay, and Allstate would then have to cover under the "uninsured motorist" coverage. Although they never paid a dime, Allstate counted each of these occurences as a "claim". Since my father had X claims in Y months, his claim frequency was too high and he was not renewed.

The "good hands" people have one hand on your wallet, and the other on your...

Well you get the idea.
Not cool!

I wonder what would happen to someone up here like that. ICBC is the ONLY insurance company in BC and is public insurance and the only type we can get on our cars.

Quick Reply: Insurance question/poll...