Sponsored by:

PSS9 front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:30 PM
screameleons
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSS9 front end noise

I've been driving around with the PSS9s installed for a week now. I noticed that when i hit a bump I hear a slight knock coming from the front. Is this normal? It sounds like a "clunk". It only happens when I'm cruising. The rears don't make any noise at all. I'll post pics soon.

TIA
Old 10-02-2006, 03:06 PM
9NINE6
Instructor

Check your front sway bar to start, might be binding at the mounts.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:40 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Not normal. Sometimes you might get a twanging sound at very low speed if you crank the steering wheel, but that should be it (this can be fixed as well).
Old 10-02-2006, 04:08 PM
GaryAZ
Rennlist Member

Received 273 Likes on 177 Posts

I get the clunk in front too. It takes a big bump to cause it ie: speed bump or driveway curb. I'll check the swaybar and I'm curious about anyone else's experience with this.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:11 PM
screameleons
Instructor

I did not get 2 rubber washers with the kit, and from what I understand that was normal. Maybe I am missing something. I will check the sway bar as well. I do hear the twanging sound when i turn the wheel at low speeds. But there is a very distinct "clunk" that was not there when I had the stock setup.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:15 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

If I were you I would get the front end checked out...something is loose.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:33 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

I have had this issue for 6 months since the PSS9's were installed..... After several trips back to the indy shop that did the install and being told that this was normal, I took the car somwhere else to have it looked at (noise getting louder).

Come to find out that there are parts that need to be harvested from the stock mounts (Rotators) and installed with the PSS9 kit. Of course the PSS9 installation instructions don't refer to this... and guess what, mine are missing.

Supposedly the spring is binding up when it's "loaded" and the wheel is turned.... This does makes some sense as the "noise" occurs when the springs is fully loaded and releases..

The car goes in next week... I'll let everyone know if this fixes the problem.

I have pictures if my top mounts, if anyone wants them to compare to thiers PM me, I cannot figure out how to post pictures....
Old 10-02-2006, 05:50 PM
screameleons
Instructor

Can you PM the photos, or better yet.......post them here for reference. I figured that the two missing rubber washers might be causing this. I also understand that the US versions of the kit do not come with the two rubber washers (might minimize the noise?). This led me to believe that the kit could be installed w/out them. Otherwise, Bilstein would have included them. But I could be mistaken. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SMR996
....I have pictures if my top mounts, if anyone wants them to compare to thiers PM me, I cannot figure out how to post pictures....
Ask and ye shall receive... Here are my "can't miss" instructions for uploading pics. BTW, these instructions have NEVER failed to help someone post their pics, so the pressure is on YOU to keep the "never fail" string going.

All words shown in BOLD indicate buttons. If you are just doing a "Quick Reply" you will have to click on Go Advanced button. Then follow the steps below:

Down below the part of the screen where you type the text and below the Submit Reply and the Preview Post and Spell Check buttons, there is a Miscellaneous Options section followed by an Attach Files section.

In the Attach Files section, click on the Manage Attachments button.

You will now get a pop-up window. There are 3 buttons Browse, Upload, and Close this Window.

Click on the Browse button and now (in a new pop-up window) you can search on your PC to locate the pic you want to attach. Click on the name of the file you want and then click the Open button. Now click on the Upload button. After the file has been uploaded, you can click on Browse button and repeat the process to upload another pic or click on the Close this Window button.

After you click on the Close this Window, you will be back to the original "message" screen. Your pic file should be listed just above the Manage Attachments button.

If you are finished typing the text, you can click on the Submit Reply button and everyone will be able to see your great looking P-car!

If your pics are too large, you can resize them with MS Paint, or PhotoShop software, or you can do it online at this web site. http://www.resize2mail.com/
Old 10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by screameleons
I figured that the two missing rubber washers might be causing this. I also understand that the US versions of the kit do not come with the two rubber washers (might minimize the noise?). This led me to believe that the kit could be installed w/out them. Otherwise, Bilstein would have included them. But I could be mistaken. Thanks.
My understanding is this...the instructs do NOT say to use the rubber washers from the stock suspension, however if you do use them you will get rid of the twanging sound at low speed when you crank the wheel (I did just had this done and it works). It is a different issue than a clunk when you hit a bump...that to me sounds like a loose mount.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:04 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

pics uploaded thanks to gota911
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 PM
screameleons
Instructor

Thats what mine looks like.

While we are on this topic, I noticed that my rear right seems to have more travel than my rear left. I know this because there is more rubbing on the right. From the ground to the top of the fender, they measure the exact same height. Could it be the dampening is not working properly, or is there some difference in travel between each shock?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

The dampening should not affect travel only the speed of recovery.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Reviving the thread.....

GT3 camber plates and modified top perches.........

No more noises and 3+ degress of camber on the front
Attached Images  
Old 01-15-2007, 01:00 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you checked and ensured that the right torque was applied on the nuts of the top hats?

Quick Reply: PSS9 front end noise